Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Looks like we're gonna be stuck here without a drummer - well, what a bummer...'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Looks like we're gonna be stuck here without a drummer - well, what a bummer...'

The great Jet Black of The Stranglers has died, aged 84...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63904248

That's a bummer.

Comment

Good title. Good innings considering lifestyles of the time.

Comment

Just reading the obit article and saw a tribute from Hugh Cornwell. Now I'm going to be honest, I thought he (Cornwell) had been dead for years.

I also didn't know Black had a fleet of ice cream vans before he was a Strangler.

Comment

Sad news but a good innings. Asked to guess off the top of my head, I would have put him even older.

JJ had previously said that the point at which Jet could no longer do even a walk-on cameo would signal the end for the band. I'm guessing that he might not hold himself to that.

Comment

I remember it being remarked a lot in the press at the time how much older than his peers Jet was. (Almost forty - shock horror!)

As musicians, The Stranglers were a cut above most new-wave acts - but I always tended to see them as post-psychedelia as opposed to punk. (Probably prompted by Greenfield's keyboards which always called to mind Ray Manzarek.)
            Last edited by Jah Womble; 09-12-2022, 16:01.

Comment

Jet being older than his bandmates was the source of the best quote about the Stranglers - "they were too old to be punks, and too outrageous not to be".

Comment

Working...
              X