No announcement yet.

Songs that you rediscovered in 2013-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listening to one of Gideon's December shows on iPlayer, and he had a live set from 2004 from The Earlies.

I have heard that band name before, but ruled them out based on just that awful moniker. However, Wayward Song and (it sounded familiar but I had no idea what it was, otherwise) Bring It Back Again both very lovely indeed.

Comment

This isn't going to fit the timeline but fits the theme. As a teenager I listened to a range of alternative rock, punk, post-punk. At the time bands that would later be identified as goth (and now dark punk) fit into some blend of punk and post-punk. In Los Angeles leading up to my teenage years and into them there was always a bland of bands playing together at punk shows, so bands like Christian Death and 45 Grave (both local) were just viewed as punk bands. Anyway, Bauhaus was a band that I really liked a lot but as I got older seemed less interested because a lot of the goth bands seemed kind of cheesy and I just lumped them all together. When I moved to Chicago in 2005 I won tickets from a local college radio station to see Bauhua (I think this was one of their first reunions). The crowd was a mix of old people dressed in black and teenagers dressed in black (the kind of thing I had been avoiding). But Bauhaus sounded great. In recent years, I've purchased a CD here and there. This year I used an Amazon gift card to purchase the omnibus edition of Mask. What a great record, with some excellent extra CDs included. So for me this has been a rediscovery of a band I really liked a long time ago, but that rediscovery has been kind of a slow development. I've been listening to a lot of UK post-punk in the past couple months and Bauhaus' first couple records fit very nicely in that mix.

Comment

Barry White & the Love Unlimited Orchestra - Love's Theme

Sublime

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
          I've been listening to a lot of UK post-punk in the past couple months and Bauhaus' first couple records fit very nicely in that mix.
          Not sure if this slots terribly comfortably alongside Bauhaus and the Goth stuff, but from the same period I’ve been listening lately to a couple of reissues of The Wake on LTM Recordings/Factory Benelux - Harmony and Here Comes Everybody both stand up well, with worthwhile and interesting extra tracks.

Comment

The recent issue of "Fond Reflections" by Rema Rema is Post-Punk-Ground-Zero (or as near as dammit) and took 40 years to get round to releasing. A hard listen at times but raw and compelling none the less. Their Rema Rema track is still brilliant.

Comment

Christian - China Crisis
              The Lunatics Have Taken Over The Asylum - Fun Boy 3 (covered on the recent Specials 'Encore' album

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post

Not sure if this slots terribly comfortably alongside Bauhaus and the Goth stuff, but from the same period I’ve been listening lately to a couple of reissues of The Wake on LTM Recordings/Factory Benelux - Harmony and Here Comes Everybody both stand up well, with worthwhile and interesting extra tracks.
                The Wake also released stuff on Sarah Records. But your post also brings me back to LA in that I think there was one Amercan band only that Factory released: a 12" from the Abecedarians, who I saw open for New Order in 1985, and were from LA. Caroline Records later released a comp that included the A-side to the Factory single, but not the B-side.
                Last edited by danielmak; 12-03-2019, 07:04. Reason: My memory was better than I thought but an Abecedarians gig guide was needed to prove this.

Comment

Ah, some lovely late-90s indie I haven't heard in a long time, in the shape of Brian's Turn Your Lights On.

Comment

You guys mentioning Wolf Alice and Ladytron - have three recommendations for you

Tamaryn, No Joy and Xeno & Oaklander.

You're welcome.

Comment

There have been 3 bands that I did not like that I ended up liking much later in life:
                      Oasis (started liking them about 15 years ago and have purchased both used CDs and some new reissue CDs)

Red Hot Chili Peppers (started liking them when By the Way was released and started to appreciate other stuff--though never purchased any CDs, just don't change the radio station)

The Cars (probably didn't hate them but was always quick to change the radio station, but within the last month, I've started to hear them more as a power pop band and have been digging them. Maybe I'd buy some CDs from a dollar bin but am not buying anything new)

Comment

Black Dot White Spider, by Seeland, in 2008. I know nothing about them apart from the fact that they clearly love Neu! and Can. And why not?

Sounds like the freshest thing that Lauren could play in her breakfast show this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eu-p_gLrQ4

Comment

This came up on Spotify earlier today. Sounds brilliantly fresh, to me anyway. Echo & the Bunnymen, The Cutter:

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                            This came up on Spotify earlier today. Sounds brilliantly fresh, to me anyway. Echo & the Bunnymen, The Cutter
                            Good shout. It was the first tune up when I switched on the radio yesterday evening and I danced, maybe read indie moped, around the kitchen while I was tidying up.

God, I loved Mac back in the day.

Comment

I was in the shower, so dancing wasn’t a sensible option. Teenage style monotone “singing” was.

Comment

Whilst making lazy Sunday morning porridge (rolled oats from local farm shop, with pear and blueberries - I made much too big a portion), I was listening to Radcliffe and Maconie. They played Williams' Blood by Grace Jones. It sounded familiar, but I listened to the story. What an outstanding song. And I went online to look it up, thinking it could be a contender for #forgotten80s. Instead, I find it was released in 2008. Blimey.

So, that. more like I properly discovered it, rather than rediscovered it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S8bMWJHUD8

Comment

Surely lazy porridge is where you chuck the raw oats in a bowl and add milk?

Comment

Not sure if there was a sequel to this thread which I missed.

Anyway Universal Audio by The Delgados - the whole album. Not a duff track on it, so why wasn't it a massive hit?

Comment

The Delgados were never a massive hit. It just didn't happen for them. Sons & Daughters are another weird case of a Glasgow band that just didn't get the love.

Comment

I'm not aware of a newer "rediscovered" thread than this one, so will record here that The Cult's She Sells Sanctuary came up on Spotify over the weekend.

I have to say, it sounded better than I remember.

Comment

The moment that The Cult fully embraced their inner Led Zep.

Comment

Sound of the Suburbs by The Members. Heard it on the radio a few months ago and now it's in my head all the time. I play it to my kid and we jump around together. Although he sings "this is the sound of the stomachs."

Comment

Working...
                                            X