No announcement yet.

Songs that you rediscovered in 2013-2020

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listening to one of Gideon's December shows on iPlayer, and he had a live set from 2004 from The Earlies.

I have heard that band name before, but ruled them out based on just that awful moniker. However, Wayward Song and (it sounded familiar but I had no idea what it was, otherwise) Bring It Back Again both very lovely indeed.

Comment

This isn't going to fit the timeline but fits the theme. As a teenager I listened to a range of alternative rock, punk, post-punk. At the time bands that would later be identified as goth (and now dark punk) fit into some blend of punk and post-punk. In Los Angeles leading up to my teenage years and into them there was always a bland of bands playing together at punk shows, so bands like Christian Death and 45 Grave (both local) were just viewed as punk bands. Anyway, Bauhaus was a band that I really liked a lot but as I got older seemed less interested because a lot of the goth bands seemed kind of cheesy and I just lumped them all together. When I moved to Chicago in 2005 I won tickets from a local college radio station to see Bauhua (I think this was one of their first reunions). The crowd was a mix of old people dressed in black and teenagers dressed in black (the kind of thing I had been avoiding). But Bauhaus sounded great. In recent years, I've purchased a CD here and there. This year I used an Amazon gift card to purchase the omnibus edition of Mask. What a great record, with some excellent extra CDs included. So for me this has been a rediscovery of a band I really liked a long time ago, but that rediscovery has been kind of a slow development. I've been listening to a lot of UK post-punk in the past couple months and Bauhaus' first couple records fit very nicely in that mix.

Comment

Working...
      X