• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Songs that you rediscovered in 2013-2020

I hadn't heard this one in years. It's still as good:

Sebadoh - The Freed Pig

Comment

Suede - saw a recent festival set on TV, then went out and bought Night Thoughts. What a corker of an album. Best one they're ever done in my opinion, although I would have preferred it if the producer hadn't inflicted any of that crap electronic processing on the vocals. There wasn't all that much, but any at all is too much (I'll make an exception for it on Bowie's Something In The Air).

Sorry - slightly off topic there, being more about a band than a song, so how about Spunk Rock by Man? This is the live version off the Greasy Truckers Birthday Party album. I found a pile of old CDs that I'd made to entertain me during long business trips in the car. I used to make myself the equivalent of a mix tape for each trip and I found dozens of them, labelled only with the destination. That track must have the longest ending of any track ever written, in fact the whole thing is almost one long, protracted ending - all 20 minutes of it. I still think it's one of the finest instrumentals (well very nearly all instrumental) I've ever heard.

Comment

Finally released, after many years, is the Sea Nymphs second album, On The Dry Land, which includes one of my absolute favourites, Sea Snake Beware, from a Peel session back in 98.

Link appears to be a taped version of said Peel show from 98, and the track actually starts about 20 seconds in.

Comment

Absolutely flew under my radar when it came out. As easily as good as most things David Morales done. I have the Mariah Carey NYE incident to thank for reminding me to have a look through her back catalogue. She had a habit of re-recording tracks specially for a Morales remix. A part of the chorus has a Luther when he was a backing singer feel, Hot Butterfly era stuff. Lush.

Mariah - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1WuY3r9VTwFly Away (Butterfly Reprise) (Fly Away Club Mix)

From Dave Lee's new electro collection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Okvrwtg6kDynamix II - Just give the D.J. a break (12" Club Version)

These two from The Boyz n the Hood soundtrack. Great film, still stands up, saw it for the first time in aages a month or so back, both capture the era well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY8MeGtqOYYTony Toni Tone - Just Me And You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIiA5bEGhic2 Live Crew - HanginŽOut, with one of the much used https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2RQvYwN8vgJungle Jazz breaks which I always thought was possibly used best on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqWxbddY9lwDrop The Bomb by Brand Nubian.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05pcczvmrjc

Strong Island by J.V.C. Force. Was a frightening number of years ago I first heard this when Vicar Westwood had someone better guest old school mixing on his show (first time i heard Shannon's Let the Music Play and Mama Said Knock You Out as well - oh what a night!). Only tracked it down again on youtube the other week.

I heart that one note riff so much (Freda Payne, thanks to the magic of the interwebs: of course the rest of the original song doesn't quite make it). Maybe a better use of the "Serious as cancer" rhyme than Rakim's even. Lovely stuff.

Comment

Better than Turbo B. Doesn't come close to Rakim rewriting the rulebook on I Ain't No Joke though.

Comment

Just found a stream on some fan's site of the inexplicably deleted and ungettable 40 minute version of Blue Room. It is still amazing, the best thing the Orb ever did. Well, that or Higher than the Sun.

Comment

Two albums by A.C. Acoustics, who I'd never even heard of before I heard a track played on a John Peel Show repeated from 1994. Both are excellent, so if I ever saw them mentioned I can only assume I thought they must have been Scottish folkies.

Comment

The Field - Is This Power

Spotify suggested this to me. Apparently it came out in 2011. It's just astonishing, I could listen to this for hours.

Comment

Although there's a part of me that keeps trying to fit the lyrics to "Jingle bells" to the refrain.

Comment

Lang Spoon wrote: Just found a stream on some fan's site of the inexplicably deleted and ungettable 40 minute version of Blue Room. It is still amazing, the best thing the Orb ever did. Well, that or Higher than the Sun.
                        Do you have a link you can share, LS? I've heard such things about that for over 20 years now, but I've never actually heard it.

Edit: I didn't (consciously) know about their remix of Higher Than The Sun for the Scream until reading your post, either. Just been listening to that on YouTube, brilliant stuff.

Comment

Various Artist wrote:
                          Originally posted by Lang Spoon
                          Just found a stream on some fan's site of the inexplicably deleted and ungettable 40 minute version of Blue Room. It is still amazing, the best thing the Orb ever did. Well, that or Higher than the Sun.
                          Do you have a link you can share, LS? I've heard such things about that for over 20 years now, but I've never actually heard it.

Edit: I didn't (consciously) know about their remix of Higher Than The Sun for the Scream until reading your post, either. Just been listening to that on YouTube, brilliant stuff.
                          PM to Various, hope you have good bass heavy speakers for the Wobble bass line.

Higher than the Sun was produced by the Orb. Track 4 on Screamadelica is a cut down version of their original 6 odd minute cut. Which 12 inch probably now has bird shite on it sitting in my parents' attic, and doesn't appear on YouTube in Ireland for copyright reasons. Bah.

Do you have a link to the Orb mix at all Various? Mibee just mibee it's the one and the same.

Comment

A combination of decent weather and their appearing on this week's TOTP repeats has led me to order a decent chunk of The Lotus Eaters' back catalogue (there is more of it than you might have thought).

Comment

I was excited to learn of Ladytron's return to business this week. That led me back into their back catalogue to list my five favourite Ladytron songs for my Facebook, because I am that much of a wanker.

fwiw, it was 1. I'm Not Scared, 2. Last One Standing, 3. International Dateline, 4. Ghosts (Single edit), 5. Sugar.

Anyway, on my journey through wikipedia I discovered a whole EP I didn't know of, their 2005 Harmonium Sessions, which are unplugged versions of their songs. Found their Harmonium Sessions version of Last One Standing, which I am now obsessed with. So obsessed, I remembered this thread and dove down to page 10 of the music forum to find it.

Comment

The list is too long to mention. I'm always finding stuff that I missed the first time or didn't fully appreciate the first time. Indeed, one of the reasons I don't go to many gigs is that I usually only get into a band long after they broke up.

But lately I've been getting into Wolf Alice and Blood Red Shoes. They're not broken up, but they've been around for a while and I'd heard them before, but for some reason just didn't really listen before.

Comment

Damn, It Feels Good To Be Gangsta. Got a boost from its ironic use in Office Space, but it's a great track.

Comment

I've always kind of liked Idlewild, but never really given them a serious listening to. Anyway, I got some iTunes vouchers for my birthday and once I'd topped up on stuff I'd been waiting to buy, I downloaded 'Scottish Fiction - best of 1997-2007', and it's way, way better than I remembered.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                      The list is too long to mention. I'm always finding stuff that I missed the first time or didn't fully appreciate the first time. Indeed, one of the reasons I don't go to many gigs is that I usually only get into a band long after they broke up.

But lately I've been getting into Wolf Alice and Blood Red Shoes. They're not broken up, but they've been around for a while and I'd heard them before, but for some reason just didn't really listen before.
                                      Blood Red Shoes are a great band, and they are back in action - as you say they haven't actually broken up but they've been away for a while*. They've played a couple of one off shows recently and have just been announced for a festival I was already going to in the summer, so I am pleased with that. They've got a new album coming out this year.

*This is a common thing now, bands taking 4-5 years between albums and going on a long hiatus, such that it's hard to tell sometimes who is actually still together.

Comment

Originally posted by третий сорт Лешн View Post
                                        I've always kind of liked Idlewild, but never really given them a serious listening to. Anyway, I got some iTunes vouchers for my birthday and once I'd topped up on stuff I'd been waiting to buy, I downloaded 'Scottish Fiction - best of 1997-2007', and it's way, way better than I remembered.
                                        Funnily enough I'm going through a bit of an Idlewild phase again at the moment. Was a huge fan back in the day.

Oldie for today which I'm enjoying is The Last Broadcast (album) by Doves, from (*googles*) 16 years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                          Funnily enough I'm going through a bit of an Idlewild phase again at the moment. Was a huge fan back in the day.
                                          They had their moments.

There was a billboard posted up the road recently that featured a large white rose: this gave me a 'Roseability' earworm pretty much every time I saw it. For why, I'm not sure.

Comment

Late 80s indie...

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                              They may well have been destined to be the eternal support act for bands like The Family Cat, Cud and New Fast Automatic Daffodils, but I've always had a soft spot for the Nivens. Thank you for sharing!

Which led me to rediscover an old Sarah Records favourite... The Orchids - Peaches
                                              I know I'm replying to a very old post, but I'm just reading this whole string for the first time.

The above is the only mention I've seen anywhere on here of the Orchids. I've just discovered them and they're fantastic and I've just posted about them on the "Why Did They Not Make It Big" post, after a friend mentioned them to me.

I can't believe I missed them first time round as I was into a lot of similar bands at the time such as Orange Juice, Bluebells, Aztec Camera, Friends Again etc. Have a listen to the Orchids' Tiny Words or Blue Light, amongst many others on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by KGR View Post
                                                I was excited to learn of Ladytron's return to business this week. That led me back into their back catalogue to list my five favourite Ladytron songs for my Facebook, because I am that much of a wanker.

fwiw, it was 1. I'm Not Scared, 2. Last One Standing, 3. International Dateline, 4. Ghosts (Single edit), 5. Sugar.

Anyway, on my journey through wikipedia I discovered a whole EP I didn't know of, their 2005 Harmonium Sessions, which are unplugged versions of their songs. Found their Harmonium Sessions version of Last One Standing, which I am now obsessed with. So obsessed, I remembered this thread and dove down to page 10 of the music forum to find it.
                                                I can't be arsed looking up the details, but I remember watching Ladytron somewhere around the Royal Festival Hall in London. Mid-to-late 90s. It was the loudest gig I have ever been to. For a public building, I was surprised.

Comment

DPDPDPDP, there are a few Sarah Records fans on here - The Orchids take their place among The Field Mice, Brighter and other Sarah bands as key players in a certain strand of post-C86 UK indie.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                                                    DPDPDPDP, there are a few Sarah Records fans on here - The Orchids take their place among The Field Mice, Brighter and other Sarah bands as key players in a certain strand of post-C86 UK indie.
                                                    Thanks for this. I'll check these out. It's great hearing "new" stuff from 30 odd years ago. Especially stuff that I missed or didn't appreciate at the time.

I posted about Friends Again and the Bathers on the other thread. If you haven't heard them, check out Friends Again's State of Art on YouTube. There's lots of great Bathers stuff on YouTube. Too many favourites but try If Love Could Last Forever, Gracefruit, Last Night I Loved You amongst others.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X