• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't Fear The Reaper
    Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison
    Babe by Styx?

Comment

I'm sure that we had a thread on a similar subject before, because I remember submitting Scorpions Wind of Change​​​​​​, a untypical ballad and one that's proving to be somewhat less than prophetic.
      Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 04-10-2022, 15:57.

Comment

Bohemian Rhapsody is unique in the Queen canon AFAIK; maybe their Stairway To Heaven.

Ferry Cross The Mersey was a departure for Gerry & The Pacemakers.

Dock Of The Bay was a new direction for Otis Redding, which he may or may not have pursued further.

Comment

Bohemian rhapsody is just three fairly representative queen song fragments welded together is a bizarre way. There's nothing really in there that isn't in their other stuff/ A bit of choral stuff, a bit with a piano, and then a bit of rocking out. It only really works because of how much they commit.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
            'If You Leave Me Now' by Chicago (they did similar ballads later but this was the first, 7 years into their career and really a Cetera solo effort).
            In the UK that song is their sound to non-fans. Same deal as 'Down Under' by Men At Work.

'Loaded' by Primal Scream.

Comment

The title track of Innuendo is a pretty deliberate attempt to emulate the Bohemian Rhapsody formula, being as it is another six-minute cut-and-shut with slow, operatic bits, a guitar solo and seemingly profound lyrics that are in fact completely meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

'Heart Of Glass' by Blondie
                Really? I've never listened to a Blondie album but 'Heart of Glass' doesn't seem too far away from 'Atomic' or 'Union City Blue'.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
                  Would Boomtown Rats Mondays be one for inclusion? If you played their run of early hit singles-and the brief few that followed- to somebody for the first time they could only conclude how far it was from being representative of the band catalogue.
                  I think that’s a pretty good shout, personally.

To most of America, that was the only song they ever recorded.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Beck 'not writing tunes' is now a thing?

How odd.
                    I bought the album off the fact that I liked the single, and the entire rest of it was experimental bullshit. If he did something tuneful elsewhere then I may admit I'm wrong, but to me he's the worst of the arthouse wankers who think that the "process" of music of music ismore important than the "listenablility"

Comment

Pay No Mind....

Comment

Whitney Houston's "It's Not Right But It's OK" is steely and bitter and streetwise and really different to most of her stuff. It was a massive hit on the UK garage scene of the late 1990s and it was very surprising to learn it was her.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

In the UK that song is their sound to non-fans. Same deal as 'Down Under' by Men At Work.

'Loaded' by Primal Scream.
                          Ah, really nice choices!

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Really? I've never listened to a Blondie album but 'Heart of Glass' doesn't seem too far away from 'Atomic' or 'Union City Blue'.
                            Heart of glass is disco. Blondie are gloriously all over the shop though. Debbie is the first million selling, rapper with a no.1 single.

Dreaming Is my fave hough

Comment

Blondie's Rapture is a disco song, really. All rap songs at that time were disco songs.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

I bought the album off the fact that I liked the single, and the entire rest of it was experimental bullshit. If he did something tuneful elsewhere then I may admit I'm wrong, but to me he's the worst of the arthouse wankers who think that the "process" of music of music ismore important than the "listenablility"
                                Not something of which I think I could ever accuse Beck: he was always far too independent and self-deprecating to be considered any kind of ‘arthouse w*nker’. Not only that, but he gave the impression of having a very good understanding of most genres of popular music.

Sounds like complete misrepresentation to me.

Comment

No Doubt. I'm sure several mums bought Tragic Kingdom because they liked that nice ballad, not expecting a ska punk record.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                    Blondie are gloriously all over the shop though.
                                    That's pretty much why I thought Captain Sensible was an odd choice to bring up as well, what with how famously eclectic his output is.

Comment

Would people agree that Oh So Quiet is Björk's best known song?

Comment

A companion to "My Ding-a-Ling" might be Sammy Davis Jr's "Candy Man". Two novelty records that provided Berry and Sammy with their biggest chart hits.

Comment

And St Winifed's School Choir. We know them from that grandma song and Matchstalk things, but most of the time they did Krautpunk instrumentals with sexually-charged lyrics.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregario View Post
                                            I can't name another one. So probably, yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                              I'm sure that we had a thread on a similar subject before, because I remember submitting Scorpions Wind of Change​​​​​​, a untypical ballad and one that's proving to be somewhat less than prophetic.
                                              The recent thread was band's whose most well known song is their worst. So considerable overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregario View Post
                                                Army of Me was a slightly bigger hit in continental Europe, but It's Oh So Quiet was bigger in the Anglosphere. No other Björk song comes close to those two.

Comment

Mr Big's To Be With You is absolutely nothing like their other songs. Up against Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little Boy (The Electric Drill Song) or Colorado Bulldog, or even one if the less eclectic straight rock songs like Big Love, it's night and day.

Although with rock bands, I think the ballad is an accepted part of the canon, almost be expected of late 80s/early rockers. Not always purely acoustic, but it always has them strumming away in the intro and the background, and often the final chords.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheep View Post

Army of Me was a slightly bigger hit in continental Europe, but It's Oh So Quiet was bigger in the Anglosphere. No other Björk song comes close to those two.
                                                    Hyperballad charted higher than Army of Me.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X