Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any artists still considered universally naff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
    Have Brotherhood of Man been mentioned yet?
    Yes, by me on page 3. Keep up my good fellow!

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

We're scared to.

Martin Lee had too much of the look about him of someone who has only dropped into an international singing contest to shake off the Flying Squad after robbing a Hatton Garden jewellers.
      Go into any pub in Germany and say "Eurovision 1976" and the patrons will give you a variation on the same story: The Les Humphries Singers would have walked it if Martin Lee hadn't paid them a visit in their dressing room beforehand.

There's been lots of embellishment down the years, but every single version I've heard has mentioned a marten trap, a see-through bag of ox tongues and a pair of rusty secateurs.

Comment

(Wrong thread.)

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
          Go into any pub in Germany and say "Eurovision 1976" and the patrons will give you a variation on the same story: The Les Humphries Singers would have walked it if Martin Lee hadn't paid them a visit in their dressing room beforehand.

There's been lots of embellishment down the years, but every single version I've heard has mentioned a marten trap, a see-through bag of ox tongues and a pair of rusty secateurs.
          Let's hear one variation of the full tale then... The Les Humphries Singers were sort of made for Eurovision, and their entry had the required nonsense sing-sang-song lyrics. I rather suspect that they were four years behind the curve with that song, though.

Comment

Robbie Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
              Robbie Williams.
              Mrs. S wants a word. Being a good spouse I've accompanied her to one of his shows here and he's pretty good live. I appreciate he's gone Q now.

Comment

I can't think of any of his songs with any merit whatsoever, myself. It feels to me like he marked an emergence of a new era of vacuous, one-note light entertainment with his songs like “Milennium”, “Let Me Entertain You”, “Rock DJ” etc.

He can sing, though, I'll give him that.

Comment

I've always liked Let Me Entertain You. Probably because I hadn't a clue who performed it the first few times that I heard it...

Comment

There have been worse ones since Williams: Ronan Keating, James Blunt*, Harry Styles?

*as previously mentioned

Comment

Somehow I don't mind the first two as much, perhaps as I think there's a sort of honesty about them. They're just singers of pleasant songs. But Williams insists there's some kind of earnest struggle and soul-searching behind his work, all of which is irrelevant. He's essentially an unremarkable person with nothing to say.

I think that's a bit behind the curve with Harry Styles. Style wise, he's seen as challenging gender norms, and his latest album takes inspiration, albeit obliquely, from Haruomi Hosono of Yellow Magic Orchestra, which is at least unexpected.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                        I can't think of any of his songs with any merit whatsoever, myself. It feels to me like he marked an emergence of a new era of vacuous, one-note light entertainment with his songs like “Milennium”, “Let Me Entertain You”, “Rock DJ” etc.

He can sing, though, I'll give him that.
                        I heard "No Regrets" yesterday for the first time in ages, and that is absolutely fantastic. The fact it was a double-a side with fucking "She's the One" really dropped it down a peg.

EDIT: It wasn't a double-A side with "She's the One" at all...it was a cover of "Antmusic"

Comment

I know almost nothing about Harry Styles other than the fact that his last record (As it was?) is bloody marvellous.

I've a soft spot for Williams too. A lot of his stuff is horseshit but Everything Changes was the best Take That song and Let Me Entertain You and Angels are cracking anthems. It needed his fragile hubris to make them work.

Comment

It's mildly annoying that the most famous song that World Party ever wrote and recorded is famous because Williams covered it

Comment

Put The Message in the Box?

Comment

She's The One

Comment

Ah, so that's the reason why that one sounded marginally better than his usual shtick...

Comment

I'd have thought Is It Like Today was World Party's most famous song. It was their biggest hit (in the UK at least)

Comment

Working...
                                    X