Beatles Timeline: 60 Years On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beatles Timeline: 60 Years On

Mark Lewisohn is doing a stage presentation in London in October using his archive.

Title: Evolver.

Concept: 62 pivotal events in the year 1962.

Can't link...
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-07-2022, 04:59.

I found this chat fascinating:

Comment

Perfect timing. Yesterday it was 60 years ago that The Beatles released their first single, Love Me Do. It entered the charts the following week at #49, the fourth-highest new entry in the Top 50 after "Swiss Maid" by Del Shannon, "Bobby's Girl" by Susan Maughan, and "He Got What He Wanted" by Little Richard. Shannon and Maughan went on to hit the Top 3; The Beatles stalled at #11 (and Little Richard at #38).
      The Home hit that week was "Telstar" by the Tornados, followed in the Top 5 by Little Eva's "The Loco-motion", Tommy Roe's "Sheila", Carole King's "It Might As Well Rain Until September" (a good week for King, with two Top 5 hits), and, down from #2, "She's Not You" by Elvis (a song I don't even know).

It's strange to think that there was a brief time when The Beatles were selling records but Beatlemania didn't yet exist.
      Last edited by G-Man; 06-10-2022, 11:05.

Comment

I watched that video yesterday entirely coincidentally.

For some reason I decided to listen to revolver for the first time in full a couple of days ago. It's quite the wild ride isn't it? I wss wondering how the chat went t the start of the recording, where they decided, well, "we've got four or five songs by john and george about the joys of taking acid, Paul has one about how wildly enthusiastic he is about cannabis, Paul has a couple about his fluctuating relationship that he wants to share with the fans, and the major musical themes of the album are going to be indian classical music, chamber music, and playing guitar sounds backwards through a speaker, The rhythm track is going to be aboslutely all over the fucking shop, and along the way we're going to invent EDM, But First, George has few things he wants to get off his chest about the UK's rather high marginal tax rate."

On the face of it, it does rather look like a bunch of people trying to kill their careers stone dead. That interview would suggest that they never once for one second doubted, or seemingly cared that it would be a success.

Comment

How McCartney's bass playing improved:

Comment

He listened to a lot of Motown.

Comment

https://twitter.com/family_jules/status/1585982724749213696

the drums and the bassline, fucking hell.
              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 31-10-2022, 11:45.

Comment

Was going to post this. Briliant stuff.

Comment

Holy shit, that is brilliant. I like that track better than the finished version.

Comment

"And Your Bird Can Sing" might also be better in its Take 2 form. Byrds chiming guitar but with a Macca bassline and peak Ringo.

The only dodgy decision on the remixes seems to have been to make "She Said She Said" far too tame. It's meant to sound like the studio microphones are overloaded.
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 31-10-2022, 20:32.

Comment

Mark Lewisohn and Pattie Boyd are among the speakers at Beatle Fest at the Hyatt, Atlantic City, NJ from 30 March to 2 April. I'm peeved that I can't go (too many commitments).

I think Lewisohn is presenting his Evolver concept (see OP).

Comment

Last night’s Front Row featured a lot of coverage over the 60th anniversary, to the day, discovery of a full recording of the Beatles playing a private concert on April 4 1963 at a boys boarding school in Stowe, Buckinghamshire. A 22 song show combining both material from the recently released Please Please Me album and their Cavern/Hamburg set. To put the gig in context, a week after this gig they would release From Me to You, so you can understand why the discovery has been greeted with such excitement.

Comment

Here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001kpq1

Comment

This is an oldish podcast, but I was impressed by Andrew Male's analysis of Back Seat of My Car.

https://iamtheeggpod.com/

Paul McCartney at 80 – A celebration Part 4

Linking a bit hard.

Comment

Working...
                            X