Longest "I first saw them years ago" gaps on OTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longest "I first saw them years ago" gaps on OTF

Mine's rubbish (mostly as I hardly ever go to see bands live) but I did see U2 tour in both 1993 and 2005. One of my friends, however, is going to see Duran Duran tonight at the Lytham Festival and says she first saw them in 1983. That's 39 years.

Can anyone beat my friend's record? I think we have to limit it to bands (and ones that have largely stayed together), I mean half the world has seen Tom Jones doing the same set somewhere for 50 years now - including at Lytham, think he turned up last year.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 01-07-2022, 18:18.

I would have had to have gone to my first gig at the age of 3 to beat that record, but the longest for me off the top of my head would be the Chemical Brothers, who I absolutely adore but very few of my friends do so have only ever seen them a few times, first in 1997, then again in 1999, then not again until 2019, so 22 years from first to last but with a gap of 20 years in there between shows.

The next biggest first-to-last gap for bands who've never broken up would be Manic Street Preachers on 18 years (1996–2014), although I saw them plenty of times in between.

Comment

Think the touring circuit these days makes gaps of this size quite normal. Saw Bunnymen earlier this year after first seeing them 1980 so that 42 years.

Comment

First to last overall probably The Wedding Present, 1990-2022.

Gap (excluding bands who broke up and reunited) probably The Cure, 1992-2016, though saw them first in 1991 and twice in 2019.

Comment

UK Subs - first time 1984, last gig 2018

Comment

I saw Hawkwind at the Tunbridge Wells Assembly Hall in 1974. If I were to attend Hawkfest at Morecambe in September, I would beat your friend's record comfortably. Since there's not a sufficiency of wild horses in the country to drag me there, I won't be mounting a challenge.

Comment

I immediately thought of New Order, who I first saw in 1987, most recently last year and am due to again in September, with thirty odd shows attended over the years. Rogin's friend and Duran still have a comfortable margin there.

I saw Throwing Muses in 1987 and on a whim bought a ticket for a Kristin Hersh solo show in a couple of weeks time, without seeing them/her in between as far as I can recall.

Comment

Genesis, May 1980, then again the other month.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                  First to last overall probably The Wedding Present, 1990-2022.

Gap (excluding bands who broke up and reunited) probably The Cure, 1992-2016, though saw them first in 1991 and twice in 2019.
                  Cure would be another one for me even if not quite as long as Bunnymen 42 years gap. 1980-2019.And realised Stranglers 1977-2019 covers a similar 42 year gap. When was last Rolling Stones major tour? Surely be people seen them 50 years or more apart. Maybe even Queen audience will have plenty who can claim similar.
                  Last edited by ale; 01-07-2022, 19:48.

Comment

OMD in 1985 and again about two months ago.

Comment

Dr Feelgood 1975 and 2019.

Edit - no original members though,

However I’ll come back with Wishbone Ash 1974 - 2018 who at least still had Andy Powell in the band. They are playing Kendal Brewery in a few weeks time too.
                      Last edited by Tony C; 01-07-2022, 21:18.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                        OMD in 1985 and again about two months ago.
                        OMD here too but not quite as big a gap. Simple Minds in 1989 and again in 2015

Comment

Tom Robinson in Doncaster in 1977 before Power In The Darkness was released and then in 2017 for the fortieth anniversary of the album at the 100 club.

Comment

Midnight Oil. Seen them twice - 1994 and 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                              The next biggest first-to-last gap for bands who've never broken up would be Manic Street Preachers on 18 years (1996–2014), although I saw them plenty of times in between.
                              Similarly, or maybe not, I saw the Manics twice in 1994, once in 1996, once in 1998 and then not again until 2019. That 21-year spell might be a contender for 'longest gap within a gap'...

Comment

My wife saw The Specials in 1979 and 2019 but I only saw them on the latter occasion. The best I can do is Brian Wilson and his band, 2002-2019, given that The Smiths will never re-unite and I don't like James (who supported them) and obviously have no desire to attend another Van Morrison performance. There's a chance I'll see Wilson again but he's 80 and can't do much so the band just carries him and doubles his vocals (or he speaks them ffs) so I'm really going to hear the band perform his songs while he nods along.

Comment

I saw Radiohead in 1992, supporting the Frank and Walters at The Astoria. Saw them the following year playing a small stage next to the ULU bar (an NME or MM affiliated night which was every Thursday and had some great gigs - memory is hazy). Saw them again 2012 headlining Optimus Alive, so 20 years. I've never really liked them, I was at Glastonbury in 1997, but watched Primal Scream play in the dance tent rather than watch their legendary Pyramid stage headline concert and don't really regret much about that.

Comment

I think my biggest gap is only about 10 years. Dylan around ‘89 and in ‘99. They Might Be Giants in 1992, 1996, 1999 and then some other time around 2004, but I hope to see them again soon.

Comment

If we maybe permitted to mention solo artists a friend of mine saw Ralph McTell on the Acoustic Stage at Glastonbury last weekend having previously seen him in 1968.

Comment

Iron Maiden - my first gig ever in October 1990, then again in May 2017. Didn't see them in between, either.

Metallica - November 1992 and October 2017, with two in between.

Comment

Pet Shop Boys - 1989, 2004, 2009, 2017.

So gaps of 15, 5 and 8 years.

Comment

I saw Squeeze in 1981or 82. Assuming that they are still playing with Madness in a gig postponed from November, I'll see them for the first time since, next month.

Otherwise ABC, 1982 to 2016.

Comment

I first saw Herbie Hancock at either the Blue Note or Village Vanguard in the mid-70s and most recently saw him again at Jazz at Lincoln Center in 2019.

I also saw Paul Plishka at the Met over a span of 40 years that included more than a dozen performances.

Comment

Nine Inch Nails, 1994 to 2019. Think UA is the leader in the clubhouse with Hancock and that'll take some doing.

(The only band for me that would come close is the Good Ol' Persons, who I verified this week that I first saw in 1980 at age 3 at Red Vest Pizza in El Cerrito, and they're still going, albeit I don't think with any of the original members)

Comment

Springsteen at Wembley on 4 July 1985 and then in March 2013 in Melbourne. Nowhere near the years, but in with a shout on distance between venues?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X