"Glasto" as I believe it's now called 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EIM View Post
    Hard to think of two bands as different as Pet Shop Boys and Public Service Broadcasting. The latter are so painfully dull I find it a mystery that my mates, who have otherwise acceptable taste, ever liked them. "Here's our new album, it's a series of recordings from 70s working men's club darts tournaments in County Durham played over an insipid casio keyboard demo track". Fuck off, mate.
    I may have said it before but Public Service Broadcasting is basically Aardman's Creature Comforts set to music. It's not half as original or smart as they or a lot of other people think.

Comment

A mutual friend tells me Neil Tennant is a seriously nice guy. He runs into him occasionally at arty European film screenings.

Comment

Are Public Service Broadcasting taken seriously then? My lad likes the Spitfire one, because he's into Spitfires and stuff like that. I'd assumed they were a novelty act.

Comment

Never heard anyone say a bad word about Neil Tennant, including some old union stalwarts I know who led a strike with him at IPC magazines in the early 80s.

He's one of our greatest pop stars, and the PSBs - as they so often do - sent shivers down my spine last night. We're so lucky to have them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

I may have said it before but Public Service Broadcasting is basically Aardman's Creature Comforts set to music. It's not half as original or smart as they or a lot of other people think.
            I don’t think they’re nearly as po-faced as their army of detractors reckon. I mean, I really doubt someone would dub himself ‘J Wilgoose Esq’ and expect folk to take it seriously.

I do think it’s beyond time for them to change their shtick, however.

Comment

https://twitter.com/_positions__/status/1541138855939678211

Lorde also joining in the "fuck the Supreme Court" fun on the BBC

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                Hard to think of two bands as different as Pet Shop Boys and Public Service Broadcasting. The latter are so painfully dull I find it a mystery that my mates, who have otherwise acceptable taste, ever liked them. "Here's our new album, it's a series of recordings from 70s working men's club darts tournaments in County Durham played over an insipid casio keyboard demo track". Fuck off, mate.

Pet Shop Boys were brilliant last night. Banger after banger. And Tennant has got me scouring Ebay, Depop and Vinted for a huge white trench coat that I can bowl about in. Like Yeti from The Firm, but with a synth-pop lining. I've had tickets to see them and New Order in New York for three years, and it should finally go ahead in September. I'm well excited.
                I tried the cream raincoat in deference to Paul Weller on the front of Cafe Bleu. I wore it to work once, was told I looked like an ice cream man, and never wore it again. It’s probably for this reason that I’ve still not worn that La Paz overshirt/jacket from John Lewis that we both bought during lockdown but in different colours. Have you worn yours yet?

The PSBs set was identical to the one in Manchester last month. The best £35 I’ve spent in a very long time, that. Proper bucket list gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post

I tried the cream raincoat in deference to Paul Weller on the front of Cafe Bleu. I wore it to work once, was told I looked like an ice cream man, and never wore it again. It’s probably for this reason that I’ve still not worn that La Paz overshirt/jacket from John Lewis that we both bought during lockdown but in different colours. Have you worn yours yet?

The PSBs set was identical to the one in Manchester last month. The best £35 I’ve spent in a very long time, that. Proper bucket list gear.
                  Wore it in Capri, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    I don’t think they’re nearly as po-faced as their army of detractors reckon. I mean, I really doubt someone would dub himself ‘J Wilgoose Esq’ and expect folk to take it seriously.
                    I wouldn't take it seriously, but I also wouldn't find it amusing.

That Pet Shop Boys setlist is quite something. Bought tickets to see them and New Order at the Hollywood Bowl back in February 2020...was rescheduled to 2021, and then postponed again. I just hope everyone stays healthy and there are no more global catastrophes between now and the concert date in October.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      Just heard Tennant singing It’s a Sin. His voice sounded a little…odd. But then, I’ve never been a PSBs fan.

(I add the plural ‘s’ because ‘PSB’ is obviously Public Service Broadcasting.)
                      He was clearly straining to add an extra bite to It's a Sin which his voice wasn't quite capable of. As others have said the rest of the set was perfection though.

Comment

A great rant:

https://thequietus.com/articles/3172...view-people-eh

Comment

Working...
                        X