• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Sarah Vaughn? Diane Washington?
    Should that be Dinah Washington, ursus?

Comment

Yes, it was early for me

Comment

Just one of the issues for North Americans trying to decode Spoony's post

Last edited by ursus arctos; 22-05-2022, 13:45.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
          Peter Garrett sounds a bit like a robot dog. "The! Time! Has! Come!"*
          This is a horribly apt observation, DM. I'm never going to hear that line in the same way again...

Does anyone dislike Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin or Chaka Khan?
          This is a very good point, meanwhile. There must be a legion of classic soul singers whose voices surely no-one can dislike – we could add, say, Sam Cooke, Levi Stubbs, Ben E King just for starters.

Last edited by Various Artist; 22-05-2022, 13:45.

Comment

Is there anyone who has heard Joao Gilberto sing who doesn't like his voice?

Comment

I love it but I recommended the Águas de Março album to a friend and his first comment was about Gilberto's 'weird, annoying nasal voice'

Comment

I generally don’t like like the sound of people who are regarded as “good singers” in the Idol/Vegas lounge sense or even in the State High School Choir sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                  This is a horribly apt observation, DM. I'm never going to hear that line in the same way again...

This is a very good point, meanwhile. There must be a legion of classic soul singers whose voices surely no-one can dislike – we could add, say, Sam Cooke, Levi Stubbs, Ben E King just for starters.
                  I’d rather hear a robot dog sing than a trained singer.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

(I'm not a fan of the general adoption of Marmite marketing in the discourse, mind ).
                    I feel the marketing followed the general adoption of "marmite" to mean something you either like or loathe with no one really equivocating on it. My perception was the company that make marmite just went with it, recognising the value in terms of brand recognition by the haters and using that hate to strengthen the affection for it among those who liked it.

Comment

Florence Welch is a marmite singer. I don't know anyone who would describe her as "alright I suppose".

Comment

The number of people outside of the Anglo Antipodean world who have any idea what it is is minuscule

Comment

Is vegemite the same thing?

Comment

Not really

https://www.tastingtable.com/834245/...ss%20as%20well.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I feel the marketing followed the general adoption of "marmite" to mean something you either like or loathe with no one really equivocating on it. My perception was the company that make marmite just went with it, recognising the value in terms of brand recognition by the haters and using that hate to strengthen the affection for it among those who liked it.
                              Are there examples of its being used in that way before 1996?

Comment

I wonder if it pisses Marmite off that Vegemite gets a starring role in a classic 80s pop song and video. I can't think of any songs that mention Marmite.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Are there examples of its being used in that way before 1996?
                                  I dunno. Ask Google. It just feels to me that they were acknowledging a general truism that people either love it or detest it. And they went with that rather than trying to win over the haters.

edit - the marketing cemented the concept, for sure

Comment

I asked google, and google couldn't find any for me.

Comment

I remember conversations about marmite among my uni friends before 1996*. Hence why the marketing campaign just seemed to be admitting something that was already widely acknowledged.

I mean, it could be we were the only people in the country to have that discussion although I doubt we were ahead of any curves.

* Marmite crisps in particular being discussed
                                      Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 22-05-2022, 16:49. Reason: Asterisk

Comment

1996 seems to be year zero for the marketing.

Comment

I believe that marmite and vegemite are more like each other than they are like anything else that anyone would put on a sandwich. Or is there a third “mite” product that is closer to something North Americans might recognize as food?

Comment

A Vegemite singer would be someone that nobody apart from a few Australians with bad taste would like. John Farnham, maybe.

Comment

I'd say Phil Collins. I personally can't stand his voice, but when he was touring there was tens of thousands who'd be willing to tell me how wrong I was.

Comment

Tom Waits is Marmite.

I don’t know anybody who doesn’t think Stevie Wonder is a great singer.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                                  I wonder if it pisses Marmite off that Vegemite gets a starring role in a classic 80s pop song and video. I can't think of any songs that mention Marmite.
                                                  Marmite were all crazee now
                                                  Marmitey Quinn
                                                  You shook me all Marmite long

Comment

I don't like Sinatra or Joni Mitchell as singers from Sporting's original list, although I love lots of Joni Mitchell's songs. Part of the problem was that I'd heard my dad sing them hundreds of times before I heard Joni sing them (this also applies to Neil Young) so it took me a long time to get used to her own versions.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X