Artists with the same birth names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artists with the same birth names

David Bowie and Davy Jones were both christened David Jones.

Queen's Roger Taylor and Duran Duran's Roger Taylor.

Ian 'H' Watkins of Steps had the misfortune of sharing a name with Lostprophets' Ian Watkins.

There was a documentary a few years ago about the 'other' Michael Jackson, a singer-songwriter who wrote Blame It On The Boogie.

Comment

While The Jacksons were in the Top 10 with that song, he had a simultaneous Top 20 hit with it - but sensibly shortening his name to 'Mick' Jackson.

At one point, the two versions were back-to-back on the chart:

http://umdmusic.com/default.asp?Lang...81014&ChMode=N

Comment

Michael (Lesley) Jones, Foreigner
        Michael (Geoffrey) Jones, The Clash

Comment

A broader, 'band-namier' version of the same idea can be found on this old thread, started by some genius-or-other:

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...-are-identical

Comment

Brian May ( Queen guitarist)

Brian May ( wrote the soundtrack for Mad Max 2)

I only know of the latter because my Queen loving friend insisted on going to see the film because he thought that the former had written the music.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
              And...

Comment

There's a classical composer called Chris Brown and then there's some cunt.

Comment

Gary Webb and Harry Webb. Almost.

Comment

John Williams (film composer)
                    John Williams (rock guitarist)

Comment

Guitarist John Wilkinson (b.1945) - of Elvis Presley's TCB band
                      Guitarist John Wilkinson (b.1947) - of Dr Feelgood et al (as Wilko Johnson)

Comment

Go on then, I'll cover this one off.

James Douglas "Jim" Morrison - slammed Door
                        James Neil "Jim Bob" Morrison - Carter USM vocal powerhouse
                        James Morrison Catchpole - "You Give Me Something" hitmaker
                        James Ross "Jamie" Morrison - Noisettes and latterday Stereophonics drummer
                        Last edited by Auntie Beryl; 21-05-2022, 17:50.

Comment

The two John Mahers (Smiths, Buzzcocks)

Comment

James Taylor - Laurel Canyon-affiliated troubadour
                            James 'JT' Taylor - Kool & The Gang singer
                            James Taylor - leader of Acid Jazz fourpiece The James Taylor Quartet

Comment

Can a celebrity by birth name legally prevent any other similar named individual from using the same name? The thread so far has concentrated on the proliferation of Jones Taylor Williams etc. But could a dad called Presley name his son Elvis Aaron and not expect his son to be hampered by trying to build a musical career on that name.
                              Last edited by ale; 21-05-2022, 18:21.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
                                Can a celebrity by birth name legally prevent any other similar named individual from using the same name? The thread so far has concentrated on the proliferation of Jones Taylor Williams etc. But could a dad called Presley name his son Elvis Aaron and not expect his son to be hampered by trying to build a musical career on that name.
                                I can't tell you the definite answer to that, but I know that the band Danny Wilson of "Mary's Prayer " fame, were originally called The Sinatras, until they got a cease and desist letter from the Chairman of the Board.

Comment

What about The Trashcan Sinatras?

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                    I'm quite thrown to discover just now from the linked related thread that the Mick Jones of Foreigner is 11 years older than the one from the Clash, despite having become a famous rock star only some years after his namesake did. I was more startled to discover he was born in 1944 – he was, for instance, already 40 when they topped the chart with I Want To Know What Love Is.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                      What about The Trashcan Sinatras?
                                      I can see a US court distinguishing between them and the Sinatras tout court when it comes to intellectual property rights,

Comment

Alan White (Yes drummer), Alan White (Oasis drummer)

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

I can't tell you the definite answer to that, but I know that the band Danny Wilson of "Mary's Prayer " fame, were originally called The Sinatras, until they got a cease and desist letter from the Chairman of the Board.
                                          Not quite. They were originally Spencer Tracy and it was his estate that threatened to sue. The Sinatra connection is that they took their new name from one of his films, Meet Danny Wilson.

Comment

Not film, but James Stewart (Jimmy Stewart) and James Stewart (Stewart Granger) spring to mind

Comment

Wikipedia lists 15 people with the birth name John Taylor under music. Soul music, for example, had a Little Johnny and a Johnnie with that surname.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Taylor

Irish singer Rob Smith presumably had the same birth name as The Cure's lead singer.

OTOH Peter and Pete Shelley were both stage names.
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 30-05-2022, 21:09.

Comment

Laurie Anderson - the avant-garde composer and the daughter of Gary US Bonds (stage name of Gary Anderson) who is herself a singer.

Comment

Working...
                                                X