X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
    Denim
    Siouxsie and the Banshees
    Never fully 'got' Denim. Always thought Lawrence was taking the p*ss by that stage.

Felt were much better, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
      I moved abroad (ie away from UK) in the late 80’s and it was only about 10 years ago, ie 25 years or so later that I first heard all the marvelous music that appeared on the Sarah label, with my favourites being The Orchids and The Field Mice and later the Trembling Blue Stars. It was fantastic to discover such great music so late on and then quickly feast and binge on these bands’ back catalogue, whilst at the same time lamenting that I hadn’t heard such wonderful music first time around.
      I got into Sarah when they were about 60 singles in and so wish I'd been there from the beginning. I'd never begin to try and complete the set though my mate has bought all the vinyl compilations paying upwards of seventy quid for a couple of them.

Comment

And I really should investigate Felt further.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Never fully 'got' Denim. Always thought Lawrence was taking the p*ss by that stage.

Felt were much better, IMO.
          Prefer Felt too, in fact I'd rate them as my favourite band in history*, but I was 14 when they split up.
          I love the grandeur of the first 6 months of Denim, loads of money thrown at Lawrence and he gives it all to The Glitter Band to be his band. At the time, the music press were really excited about Lawrence becoming famous with his new band, but it was shot down in flames within months. At the time, I thought they were sh*t, but now I think "Back in Denim" is the perfect follow up to "Me and a Monkey on the Moon". Lawrence is definitely taking the piss and having a complete mental breakdown by the time you get to "Denim on Ice", however.

*a very Lawrence statement

edit: Should add, I could have seen Denim as support to St. Etienne, but chose to stay in the pub instead, which is what I really regret. Same with Siouxsie, could have seen them play at Reading but thought they were old farts and watched some shite like Archers of Loaf instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
            And I really should investigate Felt further.

My advice, start with "Strange Idols Pattern and Other Short Stories" - peak Deebank on that album, just mind-boggling guitar playing and Lawrence has really got his colonialism metaphorical hat on, it's their first truly great album.

Then go to "Forever Breathes the Lonely World" - Peak Martin Duffy, it's his album really, all songs driven by his keyboards but still not a million miles away from the Deebank sound.

Then do the 2 singles compilations: "Gold Mine Trash" (Deebank/Cherry Red era) and "Bubblegum Perfume" (Duffy/Creation era) and decide which path you prefer to investigate more.

Probably my least favourite Felt album is "Ignite the 7 Cannons", I just can't get on with Robin Guthrie's production and I think it's the only album in Lawrence's existence where you feel he has the feeling he's made it to the big time.

My favourite Felt album changes all the time, but I love "Me and a Moneky on the Moon" and "Poem of the River".

edit: forgot, steer clear of the instrumental albums, especially "Train above the City".
            Last edited by steveeeeeeeee; 16-05-2022, 14:56.

Comment

I moved abroad (ie away from UK) in the late 80’s and it was only about 10 years ago, ie 25 years or so later that I first heard all the marvelous music that appeared on the Sarah label, with my favourites being The Orchids and The Field Mice and later the Trembling Blue Stars. It was fantastic to discover such great music so late on and then quickly feast and binge on these bands’ back catalogue, whilst at the same time lamenting that I hadn’t heard such wonderful music first time around.
              Ooh, a Field Mice song came up on a Spotify suggestions playlist which I really liked. Looks like I have some investigation to do. Emma's House was the song.

Comment

Sits, a few suggestions to get your investigation started. When Morning Comes To Town, September’s Not So Far Away, End of The Affair, Let’s Kiss and Make Up, This Love Is Not Wrong, Sensitive and so many more. Let me know what you think after you’ve listened to some more songs.

Comment

Yeah, The Field Mice are one of those few universally liked bands. I imagine most people who are exposed to their music end up liking them. I usually listen to "Where did you learn to kiss that way?" which I think is just a compilation of all their output, but I could be wrong. "Missing the Moon" is pure Anorak Balearic.

Comment

I've not previously heard of many of the bands but the genuine enthusiasm from you lot prompts me to dabble

Comment

I've already started dabbling in The Field Mice myself.

Comment

I don't remember what The Field Mice sound like.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                          It's a journey. It slightly blows my mind that the Dead still live on in many guises selling out Wrigley Field. What is more bewildering the sheer volume of people who attend Phish shows.
                          Yes, I've been to several well-attended shite ones too...

Comment

After the Field Mice broke up, the main Field Mouse, Bobby Wratten, after forming a couple of bands formed a group called Trembling Blue Stars- some of their music is stunning and in my opinion actually better than his Field Mice stuff. If you want to check TBS out (there’s lot of their stuff on you tube), here’s a few crackers to get you going - Sometimes I Still Feel The Bruise, Letters Never Sent, Half-Light, Nobodt But You, Idyllwild, For This One and tons more.

also from The same Sarah label, The Orchids are another cracking band. Again, lots of stuff on YouTube- if you want to check them out try Tiny Words, A Kind of Eden, Blue Light, Something For The Longing, A Place Called Home, what Will We Do Next and tons more.

Comment

The one that immediately springs to mind for me is Kate Bush. I'd obviously been aware of her as a slightly odd individual whose couple of songs I had heard I thought were a bit silly, and to be fair she didn't release anything at all in the years when I was getting seriously into music (no new albums between when I was aged 13 and 25). But then a friend sent me the rather disturbing video of the Director's Cut version of 'Deeper Understanding' (2011), and somehow that song/video really got me (strange, in the sense that I believe a lot of long-term KB fans really hate that version) and I quickly became completely obsessed. Luckily, my friend had caught me in time to get me hooked before the run of live shows she did at the Hammersmith Apollo in 2014, and we were able to get tickets. I doubt I'll ever see a gig quite like that again.

Comment

Sits, a few suggestions to get your investigation started. When Morning Comes To Town, September’s Not So Far Away, End of The Affair, Let’s Kiss and Make Up, This Love Is Not Wrong, Sensitive and so many more. Let me know what you think after you’ve listened to some more songs.
                                Thanks a lot! I will.

Comment

Not a huge Felt fan but 'The Splendour Of Fear' is lovely - lush chiming guitar, moody drums, a really evocative record well removed from the indiepop mainstream.

And Denim's song 'The Seventies' is an excellent, affecting 'where I grew up' song, dropping in a Lee Perry sample to great effect. But if you just read the lyrics you might well think he was taking the piss, it's a good example of how lyrics are written to be sung/spoken/screamed rather than read.

Comment

Only really got into Neil Young seriously during the pandemic, aided by a spinoff podcast of one of my favorite podcasts, The Best Show. They started So Far, listening to every single release from all of the members of CSNY. I had Decade as a kid when I was only really listening to classic rock radio, but I never went into his albums apart from After the Gold Rush. And my god...I think he's underrated. He doesn't seem to get spoken about like Dylan or Bowie as someone who was constantly reinventing themselves and is trying things that no one else is. Not all of them work, and when they don't, they really don't. But his heights are up there with anyone's. After The Gold Rush/Harvest/Time Fades Away/On The Beach/Tonight's The Night/Zuma is an unbelievable run.

Comment

A list of Field Mice songs I would recommend would be a very long one. I'll limit myself to Fabulous Friend, Coach Station Reunion (which was my soundtrack on the extremely long trips to visit the now Mrs HO in Hull when I was at uni in Exeter) and Five Moments, which I always feel is the most typically Field Micey song. Emma's House would have been near the top of the list, but I see Sits is already on to that one.

And, agreed, there's lots of good Trembling Blue Stars stuff to discover, although it did feel like Bobby ran out of tunes after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                        Only really got into Neil Young seriously during the pandemic, aided by a spinoff podcast of one of my favorite podcasts, The Best Show. They started So Far, listening to every single release from all of the members of CSNY. I had Decade as a kid when I was only really listening to classic rock radio, but I never went into his albums apart from After the Gold Rush. And my god...I think he's underrated. He doesn't seem to get spoken about like Dylan or Bowie as someone who was constantly reinventing themselves and is trying things that no one else is. Not all of them work, and when they don't, they really don't. But his heights are up there with anyone's. After The Gold Rush/Harvest/Time Fades Away/On The Beach/Tonight's The Night/Zuma is an unbelievable run.
                                        I like a lot of Neil’s stuff. Mainly his more mellow acoustic stuff. Not to keen on the seemingly endless electric guitar solos. My brother went to see him in concert 5 or 6 years ago and was taunting me mercilessly before the concert. Unfortunately the concert was a nightmare. Neil was in a “I’m going to be an ass mood” and played the concert like it was an extended jam with his mates and he pretty much ignored the audience.

Comment

I only got myself familiar with Gil Scott Heron’s back catalogue about ten years ago.

Big, big miss.

Comment

I saw him around '89 or '90 at a small outdoor 'bandshell' type of thing and it was magical summer night. He was doing a solo acoustic piano / guitar thing which worked really well for him.

The classics are great, but I'm also a sucker for Wonderin' off one of the terrible '80s albums with The Shocking Pinks.

[August 26, 1989]
                                            Last edited by WOM; 18-05-2022, 19:21.

Comment

The Impressions. I knew about Curtis Mayfield's solo work but not how great his group was. One of the few non-Motown soul groups of 1963-70 to match anything Motown was putting out.

Comment

There’s a tribute to Curtis Mayfield concert in Islington Assembly Rooms soon. I’m tempted.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post

A list of Field Mice songs I would recommend would be a very long one. I'll limit myself to Fabulous Friend, Coach Station Reunion (which was my soundtrack on the extremely long trips to visit the now Mrs HO in Hull when I was at uni in Exeter) and Five Moments, which I always feel is the most typically Field Micey song. Emma's House would have been near the top of the list, but I see Sits is already on to that one.

And, agreed, there's lots of good Trembling Blue Stars stuff to discover, although it did feel like Bobby ran out of tunes after a while.
                                                  And thank you too, HO!

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post

HO, I think the last TBS album is as strong as any of the others. I did like Bobby’s semi pisstake at himself with the final song on the last album “No More Sad Songs”.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X