Artists You Wish You'd Discovered Earlier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artists You Wish You'd Discovered Earlier

Four years ago, my wife took me to see Earth Wind & Fire supported by Chicago in Fort Lauderdale. I had never previously rated either of them. I now think they are both fantastic (at least Chicago were up to 1974, when Cetera made them too ballad-heavy).

How many acts have you wished had entered your life at least 20 years earlier than they did?

Many of the artists in the Byrds orbit--the band themselves (particularly Sweetheart of the Rodeo), plus solo Gene Clark and Gram Parsons.

Comment

Bill Withers. I obviously knew the big hits, but the rest of his catalog is even more fascinating. Possibly the only songwriter to comfortably bridge contemporary soul and folk music

Comment

Grateful Dead and the Fall were both more melodic than I expected

Comment

Yeah, it's probably The Fall for me.

Comment

Can, Tim Buckley, Lee Morgan, Sun Ra and lots of others whose music I discovered way too late and gave myself no chance of seeing live. Certainly in terms of Buckley and a couple of others the fault is of my own making: the likes of Zigzag magazine in the 1970’s gave me ample indications of his brilliance but I just didn’t see the signs.
            Last edited by Tony C; 13-05-2022, 12:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
              Grateful Dead and the Fall were both more melodic than I expected
              I'm often struck by what people think the Grateful Dead sound like. The name paints them as edgy/angry, but they're very much hippie-Eagles, for want of a better description.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

I'm often struck by what people think the Grateful Dead sound like. The name paints them as edgy/angry, but they're very much hippie-Eagles, for want of a better description.
                But am I right in thinking their live stuff's quite different to their records? (I'm only familiar with the latter.)

Comment

I think the live stuff is even more tedious than the records

Comment

You just don't understand boomer stoner culture

Comment

It's a journey. It slightly blows my mind that the Dead still live on in many guises selling out Wrigley Field. What is more bewildering the sheer volume of people who attend Phish shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

But am I right in thinking their live stuff's quite different to their records? (I'm only familiar with the latter.)
                        In the sense that the live stuff usually involves protracted 'jams', yes. And trust me....they test everyone's patience. But the underlying songs are the same and quite lovely. (Notwithstanding ad hoc being a big stinkyface.)

Comment

You just don't understand Gen X stoner culture

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                            It's a journey. It slightly blows my mind that the Dead still live on in many guises selling out Wrigley Field. What is more bewildering the sheer volume of people who attend Phish shows.
                            I want to like Phish much more than I actually like Phish. Their musicianship is stellar. Their lyrics are beyond aggravating. The Dead had the good sense to employ lyricist partners in Robert Hunter and John Perry Barlow. It made all the difference to their output.

Comment

I want there to be a Transylvanian Dead head tribute called Arsenal Cheese. Lyrics by Norman Hunter not Robert

Comment

There are very few bands that I properly got into when they were still in their prime. I'm usually 10 to 20 years behind on everything.
                                The only bands I really like where I got in anywhere close to the ground floor are They Might Be Giants and Wolf Alice. And Pearl Jam. I saw them open for Smashing Pumpkins and the Chili Peppers and thought this grunge thing might have some legs. But I'm not super into them now.
                                There are a few that I was sort of into when they were most active, but only properly appreciated much later, like Depeche Mode and some others from the 80s that my friends were more into but since my album budget was limited, I never properly tried until later.
                                But usually, I'm way past it. Like I didn't get into Fugazi until around 2005 but I think they might be the best band. I got into The Beatles in the late 80s (in fairness, I wasn't alive when they were together) The Clash, around 2000. Led Zeppelin, about 2010.
                                I'm not very good at being cool.
                                Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 13-05-2022, 16:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                  I got into The Beatles in the late 80s (in fairness, I wasn't alive when they were together)
                                  No excuse. Your parents' cells should have passed on due reverence in the womb.

Comment

So that explains my appreciation for Flatt and Scruggs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                      There are very few bands that I properly got into when they were still in their prime. I'm usually 10 to 20 years behind on everything.
                                      I actually thought of you about a month ago when I threw on a Dave Matthews Band playlist when I was doing up some dishes. I thought "HP was totally into these guys in '95". I've never given them the time of day but they're actually quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

No excuse. Your parents' cells should have passed on due reverence in the womb.
                                        My parents were not very into music past about 1964.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

I actually thought of you about a month ago when I threw on a Dave Matthews Band playlist when I was doing up some dishes. I thought "HP was totally into these guys in '95". I've never given them the time of day but they're actually quite good.
                                          They were impossible to avoid on campuses in the Mid-Atlantic states in the mid 90s and I liked a lot of their songs. But then I went into a much darker mental space and got much more into punk.

https://www.theonion.com/dave-matthe...ore-1819568003

They're still a massive live draw, but I've never seen them live and don't see the appeal of stadium shows.

Comment

I moved abroad (ie away from UK) in the late 80’s and it was only about 10 years ago, ie 25 years or so later that I first heard all the marvelous music that appeared on the Sarah label, with my favourites being The Orchids and The Field Mice and later the Trembling Blue Stars. It was fantastic to discover such great music so late on and then quickly feast and binge on these bands’ back catalogue, whilst at the same time lamenting that I hadn’t heard such wonderful music first time around.

Comment

Stone Roses.

Not because they were good, but because I missed them. Too busy listening to the KLF.

Comment

Nah, I was too young for either at the time but when I did come across them both after the fact I came to the broad conclusion that I'd sooner be listening to a KLF album. I still stand by that.

The Blue Nile. Like with many acts I've come to way after the fact, I'm sort of 'rationing it out' and catching up only very slowly because after all this time it feels wrong to rush and binge on it all at once. In their specific case, i.e. a band who put out just 4 albums across 20 years, this certainly feels more than appropriate.
                                                Last edited by Various Artist; 16-05-2022, 01:58.

Comment

I'm currently going through a bit of a change in music taste, mostly hard rock and heavy metal, all of which I hated 30 years ago, so:

Janes Addiction
                                                  Megadeth
                                                  Sepultura
                                                  Pantera
                                                  Smashing Pumpkins

Could have seem all of the above, but just not my things at the time.

Other bands I like now but not so much then, probably could have seen, didn't, but wish I had:

Denim
                                                  Siouxsie and the Banshees

Comment

Working...
                                                  X