• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Gorillaz collaboration is good IMHO:

Comment

Pixies - Dregs Of The Wine:

Comment

I saw Horsegirl at Lollapalooza this year. They were on a tough stage: round cement bowl with no shade at all and playing at 1pmish. They were good and knew that they needed to liven it up a bit for festival stage so had friends come out and dance at various points, add tambourine, triangles, whatever. But I felt really bad for them because the sound person on the stage that shared the same general field space let the rap group who was supposed to start *exactly* when horsegirl ended let the rap group start 10 minutes early. Lolla is a well-oiled machine in terms of start time. I have not seen this before. So, some hype guy comes out and does the MC bit for 10 minutes+ before the rapper actually started. Man, what a drag for Horsegirl who are young band (both in terms of age and in terms of experience as a band) and for people who wanted to see Horsegirl. That sucked.

Comment

New Anna B Savage song, and a London date announced for March next year. Other tour dates may be available, I haven't checked.

Comment

I'm listening a lot to a band called Jeanines, who are on Slumberland, which is basically my go to record label when I'm looking for new music. Their first album really sounded like Veronica Falls, which is no bad thing. But their new album has much more distinctive sound, almost like Joni Mitchell playing jangle pop, Every song on the new album "Don't wait for a Sign" is outstanding, a perfect 30 minute album of songs. Here's one example:

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
              The Orchids, stalwarts of the tremendous Sarah Records label in the late 80’s and 90’s, have released their first album for 8 years and 33 years after their first album was released. It’s called “Dreaming Kind” and it’s fantastic. Here’s a track from the album called “This Boy’s A Mess” and it’s a gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BZbi_oEstg
              Listening to this now, really good so far.

Comment

Arctic Monkeys’ ‘There’d Better Be A Mirrorball’ is delightful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FY5CAz6S9kE

Comment

If you like Phoebe Bridgers then you might like Rat Tally.

Comment

The new Cass McCombs album ‘Heartmind’ now available on most streaming platforms I believe. One of the better singer/songwriters of the new millennium in my opinion, and this is very good too.

Comment

Ex-Yeasayer singer Anand Wilder's new solo album is rather delightful.

Comment

Why Bonnie, "Nowhere LA" (also a little overlap with Pheobe Bridgers but also feel a little early Mazzy Star vibe in the music and then some Pete Yorn vibes as well)

Comment

I've developed a real thing for Baby Queen. She's a deceptively clever lyricist with a real ear for a musical hook. The humour in her songs tends to sugar-coat, but never conceal, real depth and personal struggle. Here's her latest.

Comment

The new Gilla Band album is extraordinary.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                              I've developed a real thing for Baby Queen. She's a deceptively clever lyricist with a real ear for a musical hook. The humour in her songs tends to sugar-coat, but never conceal, real depth and personal struggle.
                              I've struggled a bit getting into a lot of her stuff, but I really like 'Colours of You' from the Heartstopper soundtrack. I'll have to give her another go.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                Arctic Monkeys’ ‘There’d Better Be A Mirrorball’ is delightful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FY5CAz6S9kE
                                What does the mirrorball signify?

Comment

It is meant to be an uncomfortable break up song, hoping for it to end with some bright lights.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                    The new Gilla Band album is extraordinary.
                                    (Formerly ‘Girl Band’, for those unaware of the name-change.)

Heard the first couple of singles/released tracks. They know what they’re doing all right.

Comment

I found the last/debut Girl Band/Gilla Band album unlistenable. One single idea, over and over again delivered intensely without tune or melody. It's pretty much the same issue I have with The Birthday Party, but The Birthday Party looked really scary, Gilla Band look like obscure indie-music Bloggers.

Comment

Anyway, nothing new, but I was surprised to see Heavenly are reforming for a one off gig at Bush Hall, and then I was more surprised to see it sold out in a couple of days and a new show was added. Heavenly couldn't sell out the Bull & Gate the last time I saw them in the early 90s.

Anyway, gave "Heavenly vs. Satan" a play last week and have been listening to it on repeat ever since. I'm not sure if it's intentional, but it's a bit of a concept album, the initial, slightly cringe-worthy and weakest song "Cool Guitar Boy" introducing a crush on a boy "who doesn't say anything and I like it". This then moves onto "Boyfriend Stays the Same" as dissatisfaction arrives from the relationship with the Cool Guitar Boy. Then there's the reality that Cool Guitar Boy is cheating on her in "Lemonhead Boy" and finally the post break-up song "Shallow", which is wonderful. I haven't analysed the second half yet, but it's clever album.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                                          I found the last/debut Girl Band/Gilla Band album unlistenable. One single idea, over and over again delivered intensely without tune or melody. It's pretty much the same issue I have with The Birthday Party, but The Birthday Party looked really scary, Gilla Band look like obscure indie-music Bloggers.
                                          I’ll take a punt that this style of music isn’t for you, then.

Comment

John Cale has announced a new album, to be released in January and this song, 'Story of Blood'

Comment

I'm listening to the new Bjork album for the second time and wondering if Bjork is a genius or really fucking repetitive and incapable of writing an actual song.

Comment

Noga Erez - Nails

Comment

Lil Yachty - Poland

Comment

Tnfw Nique - Baby Daddy Free. Wonderfully unapologetic, militant pro-abortion song.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X