No announcement yet.

New music for you, 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve enjoyed the work of New Zealand born singer-songwriter Aldous Harding in the past and her new album ‘Warm Chris’ is pretty good on first hearing. ‘Tick Tock’ from the album is getting a fair bit of 6Music airplay (Marc Riley is a long standing fan of Harding) and it’s a great song. Riley actually did a pretty embarrassing phone interview with her on his show a few weeks back where she sounded completely out of her tree but try not to hold that against her if you heard it.

Comment

I may not agree with all its sentiment but this is a phenomenal piece of poetry.

Comment

Ahhhh....they did that amazing 'People's Faces' thing a year or so ago. That was moving.

Comment

This song from High Vis has a bit of street punk meets Salford Mods vibe but also something in the music that seems familiar that I can't put my finger on at this moment. I don't know if it's a group I will remember in a few years, but good for right now.

Comment

Warpaint's new album is absolutely wonderful.

Comment

And a second one from me today. I'm way late on this band, but a Stereogum feature today rectified that. Porridge Radio.

Comment

^ Really good band, new album out tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                  Couldn't have put it any better myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                    Not heard the whole shebang yet, but the Stevie single really doesn't sound like them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Not heard the whole shebang yet, but the Stevie single really doesn't sound like them at all.
                      Wouldn't say it's radical departure, just a different mood – all very blissed out, which I feel they always did a bit of before, but perhaps not a full album's worth.

Comment

It's not new, but it's released for the first time and is wonderful: Over Fields and Mountains by Branko Mataja, if laid-back Balkan instrumental folk guitar is your thing (I didn't know it was until I listened to this).

Comment

Enjoying the new Dubstar album a lot. My favourite off it is Hygiene Strip:

https://youtu.be/W4efy7WBvpA

Comment

It’s not sophisticated but if you’re in the mood for some pretty rousing straight ahead garage rock then Jon Spencer and The Hitmakers ‘Gets It Lit’ is perfectly acceptable.

Comment

Adwaith's new album is really good isn't it.

Comment

The new Interpol album, The Other Side of Make-Believe, is interesting. Have to say it's not immediately grabbing me on the first couple of listens, but hopefully it'll be a grower. It's all really quite downbeat (even by their standards) – you're waiting for it to break out into at least one big, pounding number that they usually have on all their albums, but it never quite comes. It peaks for me around the middle, with the trio of 'Mr. Credit', the dark and delicate 'Something Changed' (which I think is my favourite track) and the slightly more up-tempo 'Renegade Hearts'. Definitely one for the big fans I think.

Comment

Wet Leg have been getting some love across the various music threads here. I was able to catch the last two songs at Lollapalooza today and the band went over very well. They were on one of the smaller stages and at 3PM but the area around the stage was packed.

Comment

I think Sonic Boom and Panda Bear's collaborative album comes out next week. By the looks of things, it's a concept album about reliance on modern technology, most notably, mobile phones and social media, and it's called "Reset". But what seems the most interesting is that Panda Bear is going full Brian Wilson in the 2 tracks they're released so far, "Edge of the Edge" being the catchier of 2 pretty catchy tunes:

For both collaborators, it sounds like a far more commercial sound, whilst still sounding like Sonic Boom and Panda Bear. I'm looking forward to hearing all of it.

Comment

Few albums I'll be trying to get in the next couple of weeks. I really want the Joan Shelley album and Stella Donnelly's new one.

Sat and listened to the latest Angel Olsen album today. I'd bought it about a week ago but only just got a chance to sit and listen to it start to finish. It's excellent. Will almost certainly feature highly on my end of year list

Comment

I think I posted this song in the Earworm thread earlier in the year but they finally made a video. Parting is more of a project then a band in that all of these guys are primarily in other emo (indie rock sounding emo) bands.

Comment

Liam Kazar appears to have been influenced by the 70’s ‘pop’ albums of Brian Eno, early Talking Heads maybe, and perhaps Scissor Sisters and Gruff Rhys. Anyway his first album, ‘Due North’ is a terrific collection. And he’s supporting Kevin Morby next Sunday in Manchester so I’ll look forward to seeing him live.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bidhubn9lb4

Comment

Stella Donnelly has been delayed a fortnight. Was supposed to be out last friday. Not happening until next Friday.

Potentially planning a trip to visit family in the north east at the weekend. Will hopefully get to Reflex Records in Nun St (Newcastle) for a look. Julia Jacklin album added to my shopping list. I've missed out on a load of stuff - I got out of the habit of knowing what was due out and when with the disruption caused by lockdown. Getting back into it is taking a bit of time. Same with getting back into live music as pre--pandemic levels.

Comment

Caitlin Rose is back with new material, after almost a decade since 'The Stand-In' was released. Soundtrack to my very late 20s and early 30s. I saw her at almost every London date she played, and fingers crossed she'll be crossing the Atlantic in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by BallochSonsFan View Post
                                                Few albums I'll be trying to get in the next couple of weeks. I really want the Joan Shelley album and Stella Donnelly's new one.

Sat and listened to the latest Angel Olsen album today. I'd bought it about a week ago but only just got a chance to sit and listen to it start to finish. It's excellent. Will almost certainly feature highly on my end of year list
                                                The Joan Shelley record's lovely - nothing original in terms of style, but very strong songs. Have never heard anything by Stella Donnelly, will give her a try.

Comment

The Orchids, stalwarts of the tremendous Sarah Records label in the late 80’s and 90’s, have released their first album for 8 years and 33 years after their first album was released. It’s called “Dreaming Kind” and it’s fantastic. Here’s a track from the album called “This Boy’s A Mess” and it’s a gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BZbi_oEstg

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                                    Chicago band Horsegirl with a new album coming soon. Post-punk/indie rock/shoegaze sound. RIYL: Blonde Redhead

Live version of that track:

Comment

Working...
                                                    X