No announcement yet.

U2 / You Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really not a U2 fan, but I really like Achtung Baby. Plus the odd track.

Comment

When I first saw the name U2 I thought of batteries. And for quite some time (a couple of years at least) I also read INXS as Inkses and didn't associate it with the band I'd heard named as 'In Excess'. And I've always had a deep dislike of anything that uses '4' for 'for' and 'U' for 'you' and any other similar nonsense.

Comment

Another confused by Inkses in 1984-5.

Comment

I've said it before I'm in a minority of rating Zooropa above most other U2 albums. However the other day I heard Where the Streets Have No Name for the first time in a long time and it triggered a lot of nostalgia.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
            As were one or two Radio Caroline DJs, who also used to back-announce them thus.

Comment

[To PT...] No, that's a solid song. No shame in that. Being a fan of weirder music, I've always rated Numb, but that's rarely going to be on anyone's U2 'best of'.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                When I first saw the name U2 I thought of batteries. And for quite some time (a couple of years at least) I also read INXS as Inkses and didn't associate it with the band I'd heard named as 'In Excess'. And I've always had a deep dislike of anything that uses '4' for 'for' and 'U' for 'you' and any other similar nonsense.
                I like how Prince trolled Capybara for a few decades.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

I liked War, Boy and Rattle & Hum. Other than that....meh....
                  Boy was an excellent album and held its own in an excellent year for music 1980. October was the 'difficult second album' which along with War had their moments but not enough. Lost interest after that so was surprised as well as confounded on 'discovering' them again with Achtung Baby. And can still listen to large parts of Zooropa & Pop.

And having read rest of thread it seems I am agreeing with most on here. Vast back catalogue which people happy to dip in and out of without committing any sense of relationship or cause for. Which seems right. Cant ever recall being in a conversation where anyone has made a point of principle of defending the point of U2.
                  Last edited by ale; 20-01-2022, 17:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                    This was me and all.

Did anyone actually know the correct way before that terrible Kick LP and associated singles bored up the charts for a couple of years.

Comment

The most remarkable thing about them is that they're still together. They just met in high school and somehow all still seem to tolerate each other's company over 40 years later. Nobody has left - even temporarily as far as I know - to do a solo act or form a different band, nobody quit and nobody died. I don't know of any of them have even been to rehab.

Of course, they can make far more money together than they could doing anything else, but that hasn't been enough to keep most massive bands together. Indeed, the massiveness is usually what cracks them, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post

This was me and all.

Did anyone actually know the correct way before that terrible Kick LP and associated singles bored up the charts for a couple of years.
                        Is Kick terrible? I recall liking most of the singles, although eventually they were kind of ubiquitous and it was a bit much.

f course, I prefer their early stuff. I mean, I know that's something somebody like me is supposed to say, but I really do like some of the earlier singles a lot.

Comment

No. New Sensation is still a surprisingly good song, and Never Tear Us Apart is very good. I could be spared Devil Inside any more, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                            The most remarkable thing about them is that they're still together. They just met in high school and somehow all still seem to tolerate each other's company over 40 years later. Nobody has left - even temporarily as far as I know - to do a solo act or form a different band, nobody quit and nobody died. I don't know of any of them have even been to rehab.

Of course, they can make far more money together than they could doing anything else, but that hasn't been enough to keep most massive bands together. Indeed, the massiveness is usually what cracks them, really.
                            Adam is a recovering alcoholic, though he didn't make a big deal of it, either at the time or since.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Is Kick terrible? I recall liking most of the singles, although eventually they were kind of ubiquitous and it was a bit much.

f course, I prefer their early stuff. I mean, I know that's something somebody like me is supposed to say, but I really do like some of the earlier singles a lot.
                              I liked Kick when it came out, especially Need You Tonight and The Loved One where Hutchence is great when he lets rip at the end. But if those songs seem ubiquitous elsewhere imagine what it’s like here. Their best song by a country mile is Don’t Change.

Comment

Don't Change is great. Listen Like Thieves is a great song. I can't stand Original Sin.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                  Yep, as suggested a few posts back.

I thought they were kind of okay before Kick as well.

Comment

Listen Like Thieves is indeed fantastic, but I still have a soft spot for Kick as I got the album as a Christmas present in the same year I got my first guitar.

I like Mystify.

Comment

Don't Change is great. Listen Like Thieves is a great song. I can't stand Original Sin.
                                      I like "Original Sin," but maybe just because it reminds me of watching MTV late on Fridays at age 10 or 11.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

Adam is a recovering alcoholic, though he didn't make a big deal of it, either at the time or since.
                                        But they never got another bassist, did they?

It's also remarkable that, despite not being a particularly huge U2 fan - never saw them live - I know that "Adam" is the bassist and "Larry" is the drummer. Not many bands have famous rhythm sections.

Indeed, as has been noted before, any one of us could probably go around claiming to be Maroon 5's* bassist and most people would believe you.

* Or pick any other band with an obnoxious, preening lead singer.
                                        Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 20-01-2022, 23:08.

Comment

No they didn't,I was just answering that you said none were in rehab.

Comment

I've been going on about Maroon 5 for quite some time - basically Adam Levine and Friends - and how many of them it takes to create such very thin gruel. My daughter grows weary of it.

Then last week, apparently Tik Tok or something blew up with people realizing that Maroon 5 was 6/7 people, and the dominant sentiment was "What the fuck are they all doing?"

So, vindication came late....but it came.

Comment

I remain bewildered that Bono hasn't done a solo album yet. I can literally think of nobody it would fit more than he.

Comment

Then last week, apparently Tik Tok or something blew up with people realizing that Maroon 5 was 6/7 people, and the dominant sentiment was "What the fuck are they all doing?"

So, vindication came late....but it came.
                                                Unfortunately what they all are doing is making considerable amounts of money.

Comment

But are they? It seems like whatshisface could insist on one of those deals where the lead singer and maybe the songwriter (if it's not him) gets paid a lot more and none of them would have the leverage to oppose it.

Comment

He has a ton of side-deals and gets writing credits but the other folk aren't doing that badly either.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X