Rebuilding a deleted album on Spotify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding a deleted album on Spotify

As I’m sure I’ve mentioned far too many times, my late older brother was very into an assortment of hard and heavy rock in the 70s and early 80s when we were in our childhood and youth. And being in close proximity this left a fondness with me for some of his favourites, especially Motörhead and his true love Hawkwind. But his entry drug into the wider genres was Status Quo. And the entry level to them was an album he bought which he played to death, and I listened to with him whenever he’d let me in his room, or alone when he was out. He was playing this on our stepdad’s old radiogram (probably 1930s vintage) which stood in my brother’s room.

I’ve often recalled this album and I know Golden Hour was quite prolific in the late 60s and 70s, renowned for cramming an hour’s music onto an album, a cover with a basic clock dial embossed onto it, and poor sound quality. When you’re listening on an old radiogram the last of these is immaterial, and the Fidelity “music centre” over at Dad’s house was no better. Anyway I mentioned Quo in a post somewhere here yesterday and it got me thinking. I knew the album was called Down the Dustpipe but the two albums on Spotify with that name were definitely wrong. I couldn’t remember the names of many of the tracks, but I knew for sure these weren’t the right listings. Then I Googled “The Golden Hour Status Quo” and there is one on Discogs. But again I knew that was wrong too.

I was about to give up, but then I tried “Down the Dustpipe Golden Hour” and there it was on Amazon. As soon as I saw the heart on Rick’s stack heel shoe I knew it was the one: https://www.amazon.com/Status-Quo-Do.../dp/B00CH0IH88 January 1975 then; he was 13 and I was 10 which feels right. It took quite a while to scout the various albums n Spotify to find all the right tracks (Quo’s early album discography there is all over the place and there’s a lot of doubling up). I got there though, and just in case anyone’s interested here’s my playlist of the full track listing: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/08...SC2eTafkTCAuLg

So how does it sound? Well it’s unavoidable to accept that the standard is very mixed. Some of the songs aren’t strong, some of the performances aren’t either. But at times it’s also really well performed and some of the songs are great, in particular Down the Dustpipe, Make Me Stay A Bit Longer, Gerdundula and Tune To The Music. The last two of those are absolute bangers for their guitar alone. Not much of this is the famous Quo style, it’s a mashup of pretty straight blues, some psychedelia and the odd faint Sabbath hint. For me it’s been mostly a nostalgia trip and I was pleased to realise I remembered at least parts of nearly every song, despite not having recalled many titles beforehand. It’s been fun though, and a small hat tip to my brother and his musical legacy to me.

I’m musing on trying the original ABBA Greatest Hits next, although that would be an awful lot easier.

Last edited by Sits; 14-01-2022, 11:24.

The links weren’t working but I think they are now.

Edited the above - I meant Tune To The Music, not Umleitung.
    Last edited by Sits; 14-01-2022, 10:52.

Comment

So this was a compilation that borrowed the title of an actual album? Weird.

I love Quo of that era and up to around 1981 too. As I've probably said on here before the three LP compilation 'From the Makers of...' which was in denim blue coloured metal tin is one my most missed albums.

Comment

I had a similar thing a few years ago, sits, trying to find aaliyah's last album. Her albums have never been on any streaming platforms, except the first one, age ain't nothin' but a number. It's a legal thing, tied in with who owns the rights (her uncle, I think).

except that I didn't have to do the legwork as you did. Happily, someone on Spotify had already managed to cobble most of it together, bar a couple of tracks, from r and b diva compilations from the 90s. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has also done the same with Abba's original greatest hits album. (Great album, by the way).

My brother used to do some excellent mix tapes for me. A while ago, I was clearing out my garage. I pondered over whether to throw them away, as I'd probably never listen them again. I decided to chuck the tapes but keep the inserts with the tracklisting on. One day I'll turn them into a Spotify playlist.
        Last edited by Jon; 15-01-2022, 21:34.

Comment

That’s interesting Jon and I had no idea Aaliyah’s music wasn’t generally on a platform (see also Pete Shelley’s excellent 80s/90s(?) Tour de France theme.

I think I did the same with my compilations but whether those inserts still exist somewhere I don’t know. That would be a really interesting project.

Comment

Someone has indeed done the ABBA one, and they’ve even put the original cover on there. I didn’t know that was possible: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1P...RPGP9QAuHJsOdw

And I’ve managed to change the artwork on mine!
            Last edited by Sits; 15-01-2022, 03:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
              So this was a compilation that borrowed the title of an actual album? Weird.

I love Quo of that era and up to around 1981 too. As I've probably said on here before the three LP compilation 'From the Makers of...' which was in denim blue coloured metal tin is one my most missed albums.
              Somebody’s made it: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...SaWuVAI8Qs1Gdw

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                That’s interesting Jon and I had no idea Aaliyah’s music wasn’t generally on a platform
                Yeah. Incredible. She should be considered so much more influential than she currently is. Her uncle is still in a legal battle with her estate but, as he owns the masters, he managed to finally get her all of her albums released on streaming services back in September last year.

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                Someone has indeed done the ABBA one, and they’ve even put the original cover on there.
                Ah yes, I got such a rush seeing that album cover again (Although, as a gatefold you are only seeing half of the cover on that image.) It was my sister's album (the 1976 rerelease with the added track of Fernando) but I played it to death.

However, there was a different cover in Sweden, done by an children's book illustrator. Just astonishing.

This image is the entire gatefold cover - the front cover would be the right hand half of the album and looks like this:

Last edited by Jon; 15-01-2022, 23:36.

Comment

Good grief. It’s actually slightly unsettling.

Comment

Working...
                  X