Danny Baker shows axed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danny Baker shows axed

Danny has just tweeted: "I am being "inducted" into The Radio Hall Of Fame next week. Big honour. BBC salutes by cutting five sixths of my shows."

Danny Baker shows axed

I seem to remember being here before; just over a year ago, when it was rumoured that the BBC might cut his show for economy reasons. Not sure whether this is another case of DB crying wolf.

Comment

Danny Baker shows axed

Is this part of the general BBC local radio cuts/reorganisation?

Comment

Danny Baker shows axed

BBC say budget cuts not the "main" reason why his show is being axed.

The fact that the BBC obviously cares a lot more about the reputation of Jimmy Savile than the livelihood of Danny Baker should give a pretty good idea of the current level of values in that “organisation.”

Comment

Danny Baker shows axed

Er, which show are we talking about? His Saturday morning show, or the weekday afternoon shows?

(And I'm not sure what Savile has to do with Baker.)

Comment

Danny Baker shows axed

Five sixths suggests losing the weekdays on London and keeping Saturday on 5.

I'd give Elms the push ahead of DB but don't know what their respective contracts are worth if it is a budget driven decision.

Comment

Danny Baker shows axed

DB putting the boot into BBC management hardcore style on his show right now. Go on Dan!

Comment

Danny Baker shows axed

I discovered Baker's radio show(s) way too late, a product of living in the US or maybe under a rock. But once he switched from 606 to that Saturday morning show, I couldn't last more than 2 months, which seemed like a noble effort on my part. That weekend show was poor. I preferred the football focus of his 606 show (minus some of the long-running stuff about him being a ground czar and deciding which stadia would be saved).

Comment

Danny Baker shows axed

Baker's shows just aren't the same without Danny Kelly, and if the subject drifts from football or music (which he has plenty of great anecdotes about from his days as a journalist) then it starts to verge on waffling.

Despite being a commercial station his stint with TalkRadio back in the late 90's was the best thing he ever did.

Comment

Danny Baker shows axed

No way did the Talksport stuff ever match the original 606 and Baker & Kelly shows on the BBC.

Evidence here.

Comment

Danny Baker shows axed

The Baker and Kelly podcasts from 2007 were also excellent. I've still got a dozen or so of them hanging around.

Comment

Danny Baker shows axed

bow tie

Comment

Danny Baker shows axed

The entire Baker fronted Win Lose or Draw is on youtube. The one with Mark Kermode is actually quite unsettling.

Comment

Danny Baker shows axed

Harry Grindell Matthews wrote: No way did the Talksport stuff ever match the original 606 and Baker & Kelly shows on the BBC.

Evidence here.

A lot of whats up on Treehouse is taken from the TalkRadio (Sport) show. I remember listening at the time to the calls from Joanne and the phony Standard Liege scouts.

Comment

Danny Baker shows axed

Anyone remember his Saturday morning Radio 1 shows with Danny Kelly, when they used to play "Turmoil". They had to find a picture of someone in that day's paper and write the word "Turmoil" on their forehead. Doesn't sound like great radio, but those two made it sound absolutely hilarious!

Comment

Danny Baker shows axed

Indeed, 'Turmoil' was superb, radio - where the imagination fends for itself - at its best. About the same time, I was driving up the M1 to see the O's play Bradford, and Baker had somebody phone in who offered to use a footpump to blow up a rubber glove - the resultant tension of the increasingly strained 'puffs' - followed by an explosion, and then some immediate comedy clown music - had me pulling over to the hard shoulder, breathless and out of control with laughter.

As you say, it doesn't sound like it would make great radio...

Comment

Danny Baker shows axed

I remember one episode of Turmoil when I was driving and had to pull over, it was that funny

Comment

Danny Baker shows axed

I remember "We fear change" and a baby knocking over some toy bricks.

Comment

Danny Baker shows axed

He's on Radio 2 right now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_two

Comment

Working...
                                      X