What's That Song?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    Bluetones were Britpop era, no? Landfill is 21st century.
    Very much so. (Perhaps they were ‘Britpop landfill’?)

Always sounded like a benign Stone Roses to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
      Nearly 40.
      Oi! Don't lump us all in the "not knowing what Minder is" boat.

Comment

Wasn't Mark Morriss something of an unsavoury character too?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...motional-abuse

Comment

Bloody hell. That's awful. What's more, it's literally the kind of thing that featured in several songs. What an arsehole.

Comment

I've never heard, or heard of, The Bluetones. Their name suggests an mid 60s ska band, but I'm guessing not?

Comment

Nah, fake fey whimsical beat group. Heavy on inauthentic 60s vibes, gear, all a bit shit, very Stone Roses as mentioned above.

Comment

Here I am, listening to some Alvin Lucier reading about the Thrills, Starsailor and some desperate attempt to bring credibility to the Bluetones. One of you's is going to try and claim some authenticity / underrated talent for Menswe@r again at this rate.

Comment

I liked daydreamer a little, but nah, pure pish. Bis level pish.

Comment

ah - see, Bis were great. More because of what they drove than what they were as a band.

Comment

They seemed very nice and I kinda liked that 13th Note Club weegie aesthetic. I just couldn't get down with their choons.

pretty much as with The Pastels, where the idea of them I've always way preferred to the ahfuckinhellmakeitstop reality.

Comment

I've always had a downer on Bis ever since one of them accused my then girlfriend of trying to nick one of their fanzines at the Brighton Concorde in 1996. We were only there for Super Furry Animals, although I think they were billed as joint headliners which was more than a little generous.

Comment

If it weren't for bis (not directly mind) I probably wouldn't have blown the majority of my student loans at a Czech record pressing plant.

Comment

Enough with the tantalising glimpses, time for full disclosure. Who are Bis (okay, we know that already) and what are they to you?

Comment

Oh, I know maybe one or two of Bis, in a very loose sense from social circles years ago. Just they pretty much pushed the whole fanzine movement back up on things, which in turn lead to a lot of self-released records as covered in a fair few fanzines by mailing a four track (or, well, hopefully better) to Gramofonové Závody. I fell in with a few of the self releasing things around the whole time of Chemikal Underground, who did an awful lot better. My higher point was hanging around with Simon Williams (Fierce Panda) and the guy behind Damaged Goods.

I never released anything or was involved with anything that got anything approaching recognition - a few near maybes on slightly bigger than nobodies (more than 50 listeners on spotify!). It was a 2000s YOLO kind of deal. Running nights was easier, though the nerves of having 500 quid in on a gig and counting folk through the door was not the type of buzz I want again.

My friend got his fanzine up to a good few thousand in circulation and was battling it out a bit as a UK alternative to MRR and Punk Planet. He now imports most of the high fashion skatewear into the UK and lives a fancy life.
                              Last edited by caja-dglh; 01-12-2021, 20:34.

Comment

The only Bis trivia I have to offer is that they sang the end credits theme for The Powerpuff Girls.

Comment

Good stuff, caja-dglh !

Damaged Goods is closing in on its thirty fifth birthday and Fierce Panda can't be far off thirty. To run a small indie label for that length of time is mind boggling really. I saw Ian Damaged getting well stuck in with the crowd at the (tiny) Lock Tavern when Amyl and The Sniffers first came over a few years ago, so I guess that it doesn't just end up as a desk job for them.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                    The only Bis trivia I have to offer is that they sang the end credits theme for The Powerpuff Girls.
                                    Did Tacocat do one for the opening credits*? I've seen them a couple of times so may be overlapping with the Powerpuff demographic more than appearances, or any other factor, would suggest.

Edit: * - it seems they did, but for a 2016 reboot of the '90s series.
                                    Last edited by Benjm; 01-12-2021, 22:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                      Very much so. (Perhaps they were ‘Britpop landfill’?)
                                      The technical term is "Britpop also-rans".

Comment

Maybe, but ‘…landfill’ is undoubtedly a rung or two below even that.

Marion were supposedly ‘Britpop also-rans’, but they had a couple of decent tunes.

Comment

A friend of mine loves The Bluetones. I just can't fathom how their bog average songs can inspire devotion 25 years after when there was so much better stuff around.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                            ah - see, Bis were great. More because of what they drove than what they were as a band.
                                            A Ford Transit, presumably?

Comment

Bis’s Eurodisco was one of the best singles of 1998.

There, I’ve said it.

Comment

I’ve seen Mark Morriss 3 times in the last couple of years at small intimate venues. Just him and his acoustic guitar. All 3 concerts were absolutely fantastic. Great rapport and banter with the audience. Hadn’t heard of him or the Bluetones before until they were recommended to me by a fanatic. Wasn’t aware of his unsavory personal life issues until I read the Guardian article.

Comment

I remember Bis being bigged up as the first unsigned band to play on Top of the Pops. There was a reason they hadn't been signed.

Comment

Blimey, I've just read that Guardian article. What a huge disappointment to find that someone you liked is a nasty, controlling prick. I'm no fan of The Bluetones or Mark Morriss - not my kind of thing at all, but I played football with him regularly a few years back and he seemed a thoroughly nice bloke (he was a pretty decent player too). He lived only 5 minutes walk away from my house and either myself or my mate would give him a lift most weeks. It just shows that you never really know what other people are like behind closed doors.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X