Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which popular songs are the most lyrically basic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which popular songs are the most lyrically basic?

By which I don't mean songs that are essentially instrumentals (like Tequila), or novelty songs (for example Surfing Bird). Rather standard 3-4 minute songs with a conventional verse-chorus structure and maybe a middle-eight.

I write this, as I heard Let's Go to San Francisco by the Flower Pot Men on the radio and it just dawned on me how lyrically primitive it was. I even put the lyrics into an analyzer, only to find out 48% of the words where "let's", "go", "San" and "Francisco" and that there were only 54 unique words in the entire song.

What You Do To Me by Teenage Fanclub, perhaps?

This 1992 #31 (very much vocal) hit contained just twenty unique words overall, with its title repeated at least sixteen times. Great record, though.

Comment

“From Me To You” by The Beatles is remarkably simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
        What You Do To Me by Teenage Fanclub, perhaps?

This 1992 #31 (very much vocal) hit contained just twenty unique words overall, with its title repeated at least sixteen times. Great record, though.
        Norman 3 was pretty basic as well.

Comment

“I Know But I Don’t Know”, by far the weakest track on Blondie’s Parallel Lines, and AFAIK the only one written by Frank Infante. Very basic song.

Various Artist DYSWIDT?

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
            “From Me To You” by The Beatles is remarkably simple.
            "All You Need Is Love" as well.

Comment

Your mention of Blondie made me think of The Ramones, Sits.

It might not count as it doesn't have a verse/chorus structure but still, it's delightfully basic, as many of their songs are, of course.

I don't wanna walk around with you
              So why you wanna walk around with me?
              I don't wanna go out with you
              I don't wanna walk around with you, alright
              I don't wanna walk around with you, yeah

Comment

The Dead Kennedys 'I Love Short Songs', the preface contains more words; "Rick Wakeman eat your heart out" iirc.

Comment

George Harrison’s ‘Got My Mind Set On You’.

I knew a guy who used the same tune to do a piss take entitled ‘This Song Only Has Six Words’

Comment

Possibly the greatest song of the 90s, The Man Don't Give a Fuck by the Super Furry Animals.

Comment

Lennon Imagine. And worse than being trite & banal it was hypocritical & bore no resemblance to the way he really living his life.

Comment

Mah Na Mah Na. But then, that is the point.

Comment

Ian Curtis was capable or writing stuff that was impactful whilst also being lyrically spare (I wouldn't term his work basic - just stripped down). For example They Walked In Line, which only has 11 unique lines to it and 63 unique words. The chorus is the line 'They walked in line' repeated eight times, which was a common technique Curtis used (see Isolation - the chorus there is just the word 'Isolation' repeated three times). 'They walked in line' is also the last words of the opening verse. The song structure is verse, chorus, half-length verse (just two lines rather than four), chorus, verse, chorus, outro (which is the chorus repeated twice in a row!).

Comment

Radiohead were also often sparse lyrically. Karma Police gets by on 68 unique words, making substantial use of repeated lines. Electioneering makes do with just 45.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                              “I Know But I Don’t Know”, by far the weakest track on Blondie’s Parallel Lines, and AFAIK the only one written by Frank Infante. Very basic song.

Various Artist DYSWIDT?
                              Um, no sorry Sits I have to confess I don't SWYDT. Like, I can't see what I got tagged in for. Can I have a clue, please??

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                Um, no sorry Sits I have to confess I don't SWYDT. Like, I can't see what I got tagged in for. Can I have a clue, please??
                                I didn’t use italics for the song title. I did use inverted commas though, which may be just as bad.

Comment

Stand By Me (52 unique words) was recorded on this day in 1960. 'Stand,' 'by' and 'me' comprise 36% of the lyric.

I recall an interview in which Ben E. was asked to recite the lyrics and explain their meaning. It didn't have the feel of a mickey-take, though I did wonder.

Comment

Steely Dan's 'Bodhisattva' has just 24 unique words in its four verses (with verses three and four a repeat of verses one and two). Not exactly Donald Fagen's most complex set of lyrics, although (particularly live where they really stretch it out) the song does function more as a jazz/blues jam.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

I didn’t use italics for the song title. I did use inverted commas though, which may be just as bad.
                                      Ahh! I wondered what I wasn't seeing. Turned out it was because it wasn't there to see, as it were. I'll let you off the quote marks around the title, as I like you.

Comment

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post
                                        Steely Dan's 'Bodhisattva' has just 24 unique words in its four verses (with verses three and four a repeat of verses one and two). Not exactly Donald Fagen's most complex set of lyrics, although (particularly live where they really stretch it out) the song does function more as a jazz/blues jam.
                                        Ditto The Fez, from 1976's The Royal Scam - also a mere 24 words therein.

The Dan rather ill-advisedly issued that as the album's second single in the US. It stiffed at #59.

Comment

Ian Curtis, of course. “She’s Lost Control” the one that sticks in the mind for me

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                            By which I don't mean songs that are essentially instrumentals (like Tequila)
                                            Eh?

Oh. Wrong song called "Tequila".

Comment

(This'll be another OTF Terrorvision moment..?)

Comment

For me there is sparse but engaging. I posted Codeine's song, "D" a few weeks back in the earworm thread, or I think I did. Then there's sparse and empty. I've mentioned this one before. Jackson Browne's "Somebody's Baby." It's unclear to me why the subject of the song would tell her friend that "She's got to be somebody's baby" and I have no idea how the the cars and signs and streetlights that light up the town have anything to do with the lyrics that precede or follow that line. It's a song that relies strictly on (dumb) repetition and a good melody. I admit that last part. But, man this is a stupid song.

Well just look at that girl with the lights coming up in her eyes
                                                She's got to be somebody's baby
                                                She must be somebody's baby
                                                All the guys on the corner stand back and let her walk on by
                                                She's got to be somebody's baby 'cause she's so fine
                                                She's probably somebody's only light, gonna shine tonight
                                                Yeah, she's probably somebody's baby alright
                                                I heard her talking with a friend when she thought nobody else was around
                                                She said she's got to be somebody's baby
                                                'Cause when the cars and the signs and the streetlights light up the town
                                                She's got to be somebody's baby 'cause she's so fine
                                                She's gonna be somebody's only light, gonna shine tonight
                                                Yeah, she's gonna be somebody's baby tonight
                                                I try to shut my eyes but I can't get her out of my sight
                                                I know I'm gonna know her, I gotta get over my fright
                                                Well I'm just gonna walk up to her, I'm gonna talk to her tonight
                                                Well just look at that girl with the lights coming up in her eyes

Last edited by danielmak; 30-10-2021, 19:54.

Comment

Surprised that neither of The Beatles' songs mentioned yet was Love Me Do:

Love, love me do You know I love you
                                                  I'll always be true
                                                  So please
                                                  Love me do
                                                  Whoa, love me do
                                                  Love, love me do
                                                  You know I love you
                                                  I'll always be true
                                                  So please
                                                  Love me do
                                                  Whoa, love me do
                                                  Someone to love, somebody new
                                                  Someone to love, someone like you
                                                  Love, love me do
                                                  You know I love you
                                                  I'll always be true
                                                  So please
                                                  Love me do
                                                  Whoa, love me do
                                                  Love, love me do
                                                  You know I love you
                                                  I'll always be true
                                                  So please
                                                  Love me do
                                                  Whoa, love me do