Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raves from the Grave and Tunes from the Tomb

Music from way back you recently unearthed:

Percy Mayfield was Ray Charles's 'in-house' songwriter — probably best known for Hit the Road Jack — and also recorded his own material. Prior to that he had his own band and toured extensively. I've been playing The Voice Within (1955) off and on for a few weeks. I just love the grain in Mayfield's voice and the arrangement is superb.

I just heard 'Vagabond of the Western World' by Thin Lizzy (1973) and it's a stormer.

Comment

'Beginnings' by Chicago (1969). New to me at any rate.

Comment

That whole double album stands up remarkably well. More than I thought it would when I bought it in '69.

Comment

More Phil Lynott with Yellow Pearl. ToTP watchers will be familiar with it.

Heard it on a rerun lately and thought it was worth looking the whole song up. It was the best decision of my whole life.

Comment

I heard that before I knew what it was called. "The Yellow Peril !... WTF"

Comment

It's somewhat racist.

Comment

Intentionally or accidentally? I sort of assumed the latter

Comment

Accidental yeah, one of those 'of its times' things. On a similar note, the Joe Meek-produced 'Chahawki' by Joy & Dave (1962) has a very 'been reading some Little Plum and watching Westerns' take on cultural insensitivity, but it's also a classic Meek banger - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-2XywYqgGQ

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                    I heard that before I knew what it was called. "The Yellow Peril !... WTF"
                    I was blinded by the general dopeness and novelty of the song, genuinely didn't put 2 + 2 together.

Guilty, again, blah.

Comment

Quite why I absolutely loved this when I was 14 I've no idea. Maybe the not so subtle double entendres?

Comment

Working...
                      X