Long gestating solo debuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long gestating solo debuts

I'm just reviewing a solo debut album by the Berlin dance duo of MMM, who after releasing eight 12"s in 25 years, have just released a debut album

There's something in the air this year. The famous bassist, producer, sideman and collaborator Youth is just releasing a debut album in November, 40 odd years since he was kicking up a storm with Killing Joke. And the famous improvisor Maggie Nicols, over 50 years since becoming part of Spontaneous Music Ensemble, just released a debut this year.

Any other notable ones?

Not the same, unfortunately, but I remain amazed that Bono has not been compelled to release one in 40 years.

Comment

Daniel Lanois did a lot of producing before releasing his debut in 1989.

Comment

That's a good shout DM. He also did a quirky but great record with Ventian Snares just a couple of years ago.

Comment

The PA at Brentford just played the single from Ride/Oasis/etc stalwart Andy Bell's debut album under his own name, released in 2020 so thirty odd years into his career.

Comment

Jim Kerr released a solo album in 2010, some 31 years after Simple Minds' debut.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
              The PA at Brentford just played the single from Ride/Oasis/etc stalwart Andy Bell's debut album under his own name, released in 2020 so thirty odd years into his career.
              On that note, the other Andy Bell released his debut solo album in 2005, a mere 20 years after Erasure's first singles.

Comment

If you count the formation of Status Quo as around 1966/67, it took Francis Rossi about thirty years to put out a solo album.

Comment

I was offered a ticket to see Erasure the other day but couldn't go. One of the great current live bands, by all accounts.

Comment

There are (yet more) rumours that self-imposed pop outcast Lee Mavers is planning a solo record. If, by some miracle, this happens next year, it’ll be 35 years after The La’s’ first release.

It won’t, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      There are (yet more) rumours that self-imposed pop outcast Lee Mavers is planning a solo record. If, by some miracle, this happens next year, it’ll be 35 years after The La’s’ first release.

It won’t, though.
                      I imagine he's been working on it for 35 years and it still doesn't sound right.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                        I was offered a ticket to see Erasure the other day but couldn't go. One of the great current live bands, by all accounts.
                        We saw them at what was then called Docklands Arena in January 1990 (The Wild Tour). From memory it was a very good show.

Comment

Working...
                        X