No announcement yet.

Under appreciated megastars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hah, I got absolutely slain for standing up (a little) for Dido here years back. I definitely didn't mind a few of her singles, though nothing particularly to write home about. Thank You was actually very weak though, works a lot better as part of Stan.

Comment

Has anybody mentioned Elton John yet? Some of those early 70s singles were great.

Comment

I’ve been having a similar debate elsewhere online with someone who suggested that, by rating several early Elton John singles, I ‘bog off to Radio 2’. I gave said individual a brief list of what I was listening to currently to shut him up. It worked.

Sometimes you have to press home your point to numpties. Not often, just occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
          Has anybody mentioned Elton John yet? Some of those early 70s singles were great.
          Is he actually under-appreciated though?

Comment

By the critics, probably.

Comment

I suspect that it depends on the single. Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting might have more defenders than Daniel. Rod Stewart is similarly hit and miss up to 1977, then totally indefensible artistically thereafter.

Critics also vary, as the Chart Music podcast shows, where artists like Spandau Ballet are defended (i.e. acts I remember the NME slagging off in 1983).
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 24-10-2021, 01:08.

Comment

Rocket Man, Crocodile Rock, SNAFF, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, The Bitch is Back, Philadelphia Freedom and Someone Saved My Life Tonight were all very good singles. (I didn’t mind Daniel and Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me, either.)

Thereafter I rather lost interest, but that’s not such a bad return for three years’ work.

Comment

I'm glad I managed to provoke such a sound and reasoned grammar and style debate in this thread, marvellous.

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                  Thank You was actually very weak though, works a lot better as part of Stan.
                  This is true, I was thinking that to myself after I'd described it as one of three great Dido songs when it struck me I ought to downgrade that to two on these grounds. I'm not sure whether hearing Stan first means that the chorus still seems to work better in that context, but yeah Thank You on its own is a bit insipid by comparison.

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  I’ve been having a similar debate elsewhere online with someone who suggested that, by rating several early Elton John singles, I ‘bog off to Radio 2’.
                  It always amuses me that certain people are apparently so insecure in the hipness of their own listening habits they have to denigrate others' so-called uncool likes in this way.

For what it's worth, I "bogged off to Radio 2" almost precisely 20 years ago, when I was newly in a job that meant getting up very early and I quickly found I couldn't deal with being shouted at by Radio 1 at five to six in the morning. I didn't give a flying monkey's if anyone else thought this made me a complete fuddy-duddy. I was 22 at the time.

I've further bogged off in the direction of Radio 3 these days. Presumably the farther shores of Radio 4 will call me next in due course.
                  Last edited by Various Artist; 24-10-2021, 23:48.

Comment

Such things are discussed elsewhere:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thef...44007-s25.html

One post:

"The pleasures of writing "Black Sabbath" by Black Sabbath on Black Sabbath, or "Bad Company" by Bad Company on Bad Company"

Comment

I'd argue Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish and Beyonce don't get the appreciation from critics that they deserve. (Although they sell tons of records.)

Kanye is often a prize bellend as a person, but some of his LPs have been very good indeed.

Comment

Who was the last person to say a bad thing about beyonce, and what happened to them?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                          Who was the last person to say a bad thing about beyonce, and what happened to them?
                          Kelly Rowlands...?

Comment

I was thinking those two who were originally in Destiny's Child before they made it really big but now everyone's forgotten about. I can imagine some resentment towards both father and daughter there.

Comment

Taylor Swift works for me. Gets loads of publicity but so much of it backhanded - about her lovers, her "feuds", etc. Crosses genres brilliantly. Her last two years' work arguably her best. Having loved the first version of All Too Well I find the 10-minute version even better. Superb songwriter.

Comment

Working...
                              X