Johnny Marr is not amused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnny Marr is not amused

Rick Astley is doing a few gigs covering Smiths songs.

https://twitter.com/Johnny_Marr/status/1438842357177274369?s=20

Personally, if I want to hear Smiths songs, I'd rather put my money the way of Rick Astley than Morrissey. But Marr has some form here; he got annoyed when David Cameron said he liked the Smiths.

But you would, wouldn’t you?

Comment

Marr also claims there is a back story here, rather than an aversion to covers of songs he wrote.

Comment

I can't really hear him that well over the crowd, but he doesn't sound terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
          Marr also claims there is a back story here, rather than an aversion to covers of songs he wrote.
          Maybe an Astley-Sonia-Marr love triangle?

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

Maybe an Astley-Sonia-Marr love triangle?
            I think it's something to do with Blossoms rather than Astley

Comment

But Marr has some form here; he got annoyed when David Cameron said he liked the Smiths.
              Did her object because Cameron is to the left of the lead singer?

Comment

Morrissey's pretty irrelevant to this discussion given that he and Marr haven't spoken in God-knows-how-long.

However, I was going to say that I'd have more of an issue with the Blossoms going anywhere near Smiths tunes than I would Astley.

Comment

The Smiths should reform just to release a version of Never Gonna Give You Up. I've never heard of the Blossoms - is there a good reason to hate them?

Comment

The Smiths should reform with Astley in the Morrissey role. I'd show up to see that, and Rourke and Joyce might even get their fair share.

Comment

Marr plays a good selection of Smiths stuff in his live sets these days, as well as deftly rearranged versions of Electronic's two big singles. I'd just go to see him. His voice holds its own, without resorting to mimicry of his former colleagues.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                        The Smiths should reform just to release a version of Never Gonna Give You Up. I've never heard of the Blossoms - is there a good reason to hate them?
                        You’re best off keeping it that way. They’re the very definition of bland indie landfill.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                          The Smiths should reform with Astley in the Morrissey role. I'd show up to see that, and Rourke and Joyce might even get their fair share.
                          Astley could probably pay them in property: knowing his time in the spotlight wouldn’t be long, he sensibly invested in a lot of it back in the early nineties and did okay for himself.

Viz Blossoms, they’re not ‘hateful’ as such - just not my cuppa, and certainly shouldn’t be let loose on The Smiths’ back catalogue.

Comment

Astley seems like a decent enough guy with a sense of humor about himself. When Choir Choir Choir challenged him to come sing with them, he showed up.

Comment

Jedward regularly perform (sing is too strong a word ) Teenage Kicks at their shows, Rick Astley singing The Smiths is nothing compared to that.

Comment

Who or what is ‘Choir Choir Choir’?

Comment

Marr's complaint in the thread is that he hung out with the Blossoms a few weeks ago and they never mentioned they were going to do the song, so I think it's an etiquette breach more than affrontery at the cover itself.

There might be some decent royalties accruing if it catches on (more than The Smiths get for streams I imagine).

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                    Who or what is ‘Choir Choir Choir’?
                                    A huge, amateur choir in Toronto. You just sort of show up and sing. They do some pretty neat stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                      Viz Blossoms, they’re not ‘hateful’ as such - just not my cuppa, and certainly shouldn’t be let loose on The Smiths’ back catalogue.
                                      I really don't follow. Astley & Blossoms are, to all intents, a Smiths tribute band. Are they playing the songs wrong? On recorders and ukuleles? Does the guitarist not have a Johnny Marr Fender Jaguar?

Or are they just not cool enough?

Comment

As obviously talented as he is, Astley's never been cool, has he? He never quite managed that Kylie-esque reinvention to shake off the SAW stigma.

As much as I actually quite like Cry For Help, growing your hair long and getting a gospel choir ain't gonna cut it.

He was just the tea boy from Warrington who got a break.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                          As obviously talented as he is, Astley's never been cool, has he? He never quite managed that Kylie-esque reinvention to shake off the SAW stigma.

As much as I actually quite like Cry For Help, growing your hair long and getting a gospel choir ain't gonna cut it.

He was just the tea boy from Warrington who got a break.
                                          His 50 album was pretty good (what I heard of it anyway). Rick Astley's career has certainly taken some unusual tangents, but he's just gone with the flow (he never got stroppy about the Rickroll craze). Plus he seems to be a decent bloke.

Comment

But this whole discussion is about whether people are cool enough or not and, to be honest, I've just grown out of that mindset.

Comment

But this whole discussion is about whether people are cool enough or not and, to be honest, I've just grown out of that mindset.
                                              You're the only person who has decided that it's about "cool"

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

You're the only person who has decided that it's about "cool"
                                                Well, what is it about then? Musical competence? Whether a body of work is sacred?

Comment

As far as we know it is about the fact that Johnny Marr met a few weeks ago with Blossoms and at no point during their conversation did they mention that they were going to be covering his songs, so at that level it's about courtesy.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X