• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sluggin' wiv Jesus

Richard H. Kirk's died.

RIP.

Undeniably a musical pioneer.

Comment

His Sweet Exorcist release was my entry into Warp records and techno in general.

If Gangster Octopus had not of got in first I was going to go with 'Exorcised Cabaret'.

Comment

Ah that sucks. Cabaret Voltaire have made about as big an impression on me as any band I've heard, those first 4 albums are incredible.

Comment

Absolutely tragic news. CV one of the most exciting and adventurous bands ever.

Comment

Pretty sad to hear this news - I did wonder why all my Cabaret Voltaire stuff has been suddenly snapped up on discogs today.

Comment

Very sad news indeed. CV opened my mind and ears to the fact that there were alternative music forms out there, far better than the mainstream.

Comment

Too much to process here - Cabs a part of my life since 1980, still regularly listen to Sandoz/Kirk solo albums on the headphones late at night. Just not one of these people you're expecting to ever die.

Comment

Echoing all of the above. Along with early Human League, 'Mix-Up' was my gateway into late '70s industrial music.

Comment

My obit for The Quietus. https://thequietus.com/articles/3056...baret-voltaire

Comment

Thanks for that, wingco.

I have a paradoxical reaction when a figure like Kirk dies - instead of reaching for his music I find myself avoiding it, for weeks if not months. But I can't at all explain why.

Comment

The Quietus piece is very special wingco - thank you. The Cabs made me feel like there were other people like me when I was a teenager. My introduction to them was The Crackdown and a mix-tape that I was given with Nag, Nag, Nag on it. His other work from Black Jesus Voice, Sandoz and the rest was incredible - walking through the streets of Kathmandu and hearing Martyrs of Palestine for the first time in a long time is something I'll never forget.

Shadow of Fear - the album he released last year as Cabaret Voltaire is a worthy last testament to his entire body of work - both with Mallender/Watson and on his own.

He will be missed. Too young at 65 to die...

Great thread title btw.

Comment

That's a very good obit wingco . I like that you mention how relevant they seem now, it does feel like the early '80s to me with paranoia and veiled violence in the air.

It's funny when you mess around with tape recorders and toy keyboards as a kid and then find out there are proper musicians who do that sort of thing and it sounds great. Kirk and his colleagues were and are very inspiring musicians, always curious.

Comment

Heard bits & pieces of CV in late 1970s-Mussolini Headkick in particular.. But what an eye opener Voice Of America was.

Comment

"walking through the streets of Kathmandu and hearing Martyrs of Palestine for the first time in a long time is something I'll never forget."

Seconded

Comment

Working...
                              X