Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlikely music fans

A couple to start the ball rolling.

1. David Niven was once spotted watching Krautrockers Can in a Munich nightclub.
    2. Highly eccentric and painfully shy physics genius Paul Dirac was a big fan of Cher. He even bought a TV set, just so he could watch her weekly show.

Comment

It's not that long ago (or more accurately, it doesn't seem that long ago) that Stuart Pearce (punk) and Pat Niven (indie) were seen as novelties for straying from the mainstream music tastes of footballers of the day.

Comment

Kosmische Steve Davis, fan turned dj and performer, still seems incongruous, his '80s jazz funk loving incarnation perhaps less so.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
          Niven
          Nevin, I think (typo, I know)

Comment

Belinda Carlisle was James Mason's daughter-in-law but I don't know whether he was a big Go-Go's fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Nevin, I think (typo, I know)
              I won't even claim typo, I had Niven in my mind due to the mention of David in the original post.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                It's not that long ago (or more accurately, it doesn't seem that long ago) that Stuart Pearce (punk) and Pat Niven (indie) were seen as novelties for straying from the mainstream music tastes of footballers of the day.

I remember a letter in WSC from someone who said that they bumped into Psycho at a gig and then asked him (Pearce) to hold his (correspondent) beer while he went for a bit of a pogo, which he (Pearce) was happy to do.

Comment

Ex Ireland manager Brian Kerr is a huge music fan, who can be regularly seen at gigs checking out young new bands. I remember the lead singer of an Irish band a few years ago saying that her most embarrassing moment was givng Kerr a big hug and a kiss on the cheek when he came over to say hello after a gig, because she thought he was the drummer's dad.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                    Belinda Carlisle was James Mason's daughter-in-law but I don't know whether he was a big Go-Go's fan.
                    Belinda married Morgan in 1986, James unfortunately bought the farm in 1984, so I can imagine he had other things to worry about other than giving Beauty and the Beat a spin on the old record player.

Comment

Norm from Cheers wen to loads of indie gigs whilst filming something in London during the early 1990s. I saw him at a Frank and Walters gig and then later that same week at a Captain America/Eugenius gig.

I'm fairly sure Belinda Carlise was an original member of The Germs, but left after one gig, which is really cool, if true.

Comment

One of the nineties monthly music mags (Select or Vox) reported the sighting of Graeme Garden (of Goodies-fame) at a Therapy? gig.

A short while thereafter I suggested this as a potential line of questioning when he guested on a Sean Hughes chat show on which I was a writer. Predictable outcome: cue Sean asking Garden during the recording - and the latter having absolutely no clue what he was talking about. It was a shade embarrassing and the entire interview was eventually cut.

Dennis Hopper was apparently a huge fan of Pixies. Which perhaps ‘isn’t’ that unlikely.
                        Last edited by Jah Womble; 18-09-2021, 08:25.

Comment

Graeme Garden's son John was (is?) a sometime touring member of the Scissor Sisters, and has a writing credit on their second album.

While we're on the Goodies, Bill Oddie semi-famously saw Prince at The Lyceum in 1980.

Meanwhile, Michael Caine digs the newfangled chillout music the kids of 2007 have nowadays: https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Cain...elease/3341208
                          Last edited by Auntie Beryl; 20-09-2021, 11:46.

Comment

Margot Robbie is a big fan of Slipknot

Comment

Torino coach Ivan Juric is into Death metal

Comment

I saw Bill Oddie at a Har Mar Superstar gig on 12th October 2004 (Astoria 2). That night was the first episode of Who Do You Think You Are? and Oddie was wearing the same shirt with parakeets on it as he wore on the title credits. No idea whether he enjoyed the gig.

Comment

For those of us old enough to remember a Madeleyesque Tony Wilson presenting Granada Reports in the early 70’s his consequent elevated position as a musical entrepreneur of some taste seemed astounding.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                    I saw Bill Oddie at a Har Mar Superstar gig on 12th October 2004 (Astoria 2). That night was the first episode of Who Do You Think You Are? and Oddie was wearing the same shirt with parakeets on it as he wore on the title credits. No idea whether he enjoyed the gig.
                                    Oddie was always a bit of a muso though. He wrote and performed parody pieces for I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again and The Goodies also released a fair few records IIRC.

Comment

Meadowlark Lemon watching PragVEC at the Melkweg.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Oddie was always a bit of a muso though. He wrote and performed parody pieces for I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again and The Goodies also released a fair few records IIRC.
                                        His son in law was photographer Rankin too, who always seemed to do the cover shot for Q in the late-90s/early-00s.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                                          Graeme Garden's son John was (is?) a sometime touring member of the Scissor Sisters, and has a writing credit on their second album.
                                          Which led to Graeme doing a Scissor Sisters song in the round "One song to the tune of another" on I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue a few years back (when poor old Tim Brooke-Taylor was alive, as he commented on the connection).

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

A Fall fan as well I believe.

Comment

Errm, seriously?

Indeed, The Goodies managed five Top 30 hits. Which is four more than Mark E Smith did.

Comment

John Challis (Boycie from Only Fools and Horses) becoming Twitter friends with Ice-T due a liking of the Body Count album.

Comment

Working...
                                                X