Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumpy Pepys
    replied
    The line in The Lady is a Tramp, "hates California, it's cold and it's damp," always irked me. I don't get it in a factual context nor in an ironic one.
    Last edited by Stumpy Pepys; 01-10-2021, 09:10.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Those people deserve more than just a slapping. (Obviously.)

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    If I were to pick a fifth I'd go for the upstairs dickhead neighbour. Front of the queue.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    To pick four people entirely at random, like.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    On a planet hosting Jedward, Russell Brand and Donald Trump this seems somehow unnecessary.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
    They Might Be Giants covered Why Does The Sun Shine? (The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas), then recorded Why Does The Sun Really Shine? (The Sun is a Miasma of Incandescent Plasma) to correct the inaccuracies of the original.
    All of the above underlines to me exactly why TMBG deserve no less than the biggest slapping available.

Leave a comment:

• irony towers
    replied
    Katie Melua to thread.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    They Might Be Giants covered Why Does The Sun Shine? (The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas), then recorded Why Does The Sun Really Shine? (The Sun is a Miasma of Incandescent Plasma) to correct the inaccuracies of the original.

Leave a comment:

• Giggler
    replied
    The sun NEVER goes round the moon, Ms Williams.

Leave a comment:

• Gert from the Well
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
    Roger Whittaker fans could be forgiven for thinking Durham Town is on the River Tyne though he doesn’t specifically state it as fact.

Also Ralph McTell stating that Tickle town was on the River Tum

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    "When I was in England town, the rain fell right down." Nice one Arthur. I'll have whatever you're smoking.

Leave a comment:

• Sunderporinostesta
    replied
    Roger Whittaker fans could be forgiven for thinking Durham Town is on the River Tyne though he doesn’t specifically state it as fact.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
    Three songs about the Northern Ireland troubles- The Men Behind The Wire, The Town I Loved So Well and Zombie, all seem to think that Tanks were used in the conflict, The Cranberries seemed to think that the IRA used them.

Tanks would have been useless in the North, and were never used
    It's possibly that she didn't know what a "tank" was.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    I think we could fill an entire thread with the late Ms O’Riordan’s lyrics.
    Johnny Cigarettes filled a fair chunk of a book with them.

Back to the OP - someone tell Bonio that he's counting 1, 2, 3, 14.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    In the pop world, Busted underestimated spectacularly just how many generations would have lived and died by the Year 3000 - and there’s also, of course, that eejit American woman who doesn’t know the difference between London Bridge and Tower Bridge…

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
    Went over my head at the time. (I was only 14.)
    For twenty-five years, though? (NB It’s actually thirty-five years since that album was released.)

They've pitched a few like that, though - “Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns!” (from Joy Division Oven Gloves) being another example.

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
    The Cranberries seemed to think that the IRA used them.
    I think we could fill an entire thread with the late Ms O’Riordan’s lyrics.
    Last edited by Jah Womble; 15-09-2021, 20:24.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Three songs about the Northern Ireland troubles- The Men Behind The Wire, The Town I Loved So Well and Zombie, all seem to think that Tanks were used in the conflict, The Cranberries seemed to think that the IRA used them.

Tanks would have been useless in the North, and were never used

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Another one I've mentioned before.

In The Postal Service's Nothing Better. He says "And I will block the door like a goalie tending the net/ In the third quarter of a tied game rivalry."

It's unclear what sport he means. Not many sports have goalies, nets and quarters.

Hockey doesn't have quarters. It has periods. Three of them. Since he uses third instead of fourth, perhaps that's what he means, but "period" didn't fit the syllables.

Soccer has halves. Even college soccer with its weird rules doesn't use quarters. And even in the US, soccer people have taken to calling the position keeper. Not goalie, which sounds too American. I still say goalie.

Lacrosse uses quarters and has a goalie, and it's usually called a goalie because of the Canadian influence, but there are a lot of goals in lacrosse so the third quarter isn't especially tense. If he meant that, he could have said fourth quarter.

Likewise water polo. The guys in the group are, as I recall, from the west coast so more likely know water polo than lacrosse, but still, probably not. And even then, why not say fourth?

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

True.
    And, as we once discussed on here, he didn't work down at the drive in.
    And the song is really about teenage sex.
    It does, however, offer a pretty realistic picture of what happens to most bands that try real hard.
    Hold up. So what is a "six string" then?

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    The Royal Palm actually ran through coaches from Detroit to Miami via Atlanta, though it was segregated for most of its history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Palm_(train)
    Well, now. That's me told. A quick look at the schedule for 1951 (http://www.streamlinerschedules.com/...alm195103.html) shows that at 11:50pm (effectively the midnight train) you caught it at Wyandotte Station. Wyandotte is 9 miles south-south-west of Detroit downtown, so could be considered "South Detroit".

So you could really take the midnight train from south Detroit and be going almost anywhere - Toledo, Dayton, Cincinnati, Lexington, Chattanooga (yeah, it's a Chattanooga choo choo!), Tampa...

That is much more exotic than I'd have expected. I take back my criticism of Steve Perry.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    Actually he kinda did. He washed dishes at the Tomahawk diner in North Van. (see below)

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Woolworth's was the quintessential US "Five and Ten Cent Store"

I don't recall them ever selling musical instruments that weren't cheap plastic toys

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The Royal Palm actually ran through coaches from Detroit to Miami via Atlanta, though it was segregated for most of its history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Palm_(train)

Leave a comment:

• Stumpy Pepys
    replied
    Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
    Summer of '69, what with joining bands, meeting his baby and his friend getting married, gave me unrealistic expectations of what a nine year old should be up to (Bryan Adams being born in November '59 and all)
    He also claims to have bought his first six-string, over at the five and dime. So, presumably for 5-10¢? I'm aware of inflation, but that's stretching credulity. A Telecaster cost $269.50 in 1969.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    If you were a city boy, born and raised in south Detroit, something is wrong. Because, as everyone surely knows by now, immediately south of Detroit you're in Canada.

If you did happen to have been born and raised in the suburbs south-west of Detroit you'd still be in the US, but a suburb boy not a city boy.

I'm pretty sure that the midnight train was almost certainly not going "anywhere" except maybe Michigan Central Station*, or if you're really lucky, perhaps Toledo.

* Which was still open when the song was released.
    Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 15-09-2021, 18:50.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
    Summer of '69, what with joining bands, meeting his baby and his friend getting married, gave me unrealistic expectations of what a nine year old should be up to (Bryan Adams being born in November '59 and all)
    True.
    And the song is really about teenage sex.
    It does, however, offer a pretty realistic picture of what happens to most bands that try real hard.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X