Incorrect information gleaned from song lyrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
    The line in The Lady is a Tramp, "hates California, it's cold and it's damp," always irked me. I don't get it in a factual context nor in an ironic one.
    Yes! It just doesn't work in either context. The rest of the song I get but that line really stands out and, as Stumpy says, is really irksome.

Comment

I enjoy walking Camden Market in the afternoon
      Took me back to Highgate, met all of his best mates
      And now I love high tea, stories from uni, and the West End
      I enjoy nights in Brixton, Shoreditch in the afternoon
      So please show me Hackney
      Doesn't have to be Louis V up on Bond Street
      I enjoy walking SoHo, drinking in the afternoon (yeah)
      If she's drinking in SoHo in the afternoon she'll need more than a taxi to get her to Brixton for the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
        The line in The Lady is a Tramp, "hates California, it's cold and it's damp," always irked me. I don't get it in a factual context nor in an ironic one.
        As ursus has already noted pictorially with a fog-shrouded Golden Gate Bridge, this is often factually true in San Francisco. The mean January temperature is 10C and the mean August one just 18C. Also atypically high numbers of rainy days in the winter months as well. And, of course, the fogs. Frisco’s climate is nothing like that of LA or San Diego. But then it is ~500 miles north of San Diego. Around the same distance south of London (which has a very similar summer mean temp, albeit a colder winter mean of more like 5C) and you are halfway between Bordeaux and the France/Spain border.

Comment

“Thunder only happens when it’s raining.“

Er, no, that isn’t true at all, Stevie.

Guess who didn’t read the thread [first reply]
          Oh well, it’s egregious enough to mention twice.
          Last edited by Janik; 02-10-2021, 11:58.

Comment

Though players do only love you when they're playin', as she learned to her regret

Comment

Also, Durham City has never had any real history of shipbuilding to my knowledge, although obviously bits of County Durham (as was) certainly did.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                As ursus has already noted pictorially with a fog-shrouded Golden Gate Bridge, this is often factually true in San Francisco. The mean January temperature is 10C and the mean August one just 18C. Also atypically high numbers of rainy days in the winter months as well. And, of course, the fogs. Frisco’s climate is nothing like that of LA or San Diego. But then it is ~500 miles north of San Diego. Around the same distance south of London (which has a very similar summer mean temp, albeit a colder winter mean of more like 5C) and you are halfway between Bordeaux and the France/Spain border.
                Yes, it's a big state. But, rightly or wrongly, it's always been typically associated with warm weather. So the line does still sound incongruous. "Hates San Francisco, it's cold and it's damp" would still scan and provide me with less bother.

(By the way, I'm assuming that, as the song satirises the New York upper-class society of the time, they must have been well known for going to California for their holidays. And I'm guessing that they typically stayed further south than San Francisco).

Comment

Yes, that's the point.

It is supposed to jar.

Lorenz Hart, who wrote the lyrics, was born and died (at 48) here in NYC

He was an alcoholic who.lived his mother and never recovered from her death. It is quite possible that he had never been to California when he wrote the lyrics, as he and Richard Rogers worked primarily on Broadway.

Comment

Yes, I get that it's supposed to jar. And all the other lines in the song jar in a logical fashion but this line just doesn't do it for me. Maybe just me though.
                    Last edited by Jon; 02-10-2021, 14:35.

Comment

I think it is very difficult, nigh impossible, for us to experience the song as those who heard it when it was written.

For one thing, my mother (who was 16 when it premiered) always maintained that "tramp" was "fighting words" at the time, at least in her circles.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post

Rhymes with “get me down”?
                        I suppose he could’ve put some actual effort in and wangled City and pity into it somehow. Then “drinking beer, on the banks of the river wear, watching all the ships being built here, then leaving leaving leaving leaving leeeeeeaaaaving”.
                        An up to date version could substitute Qashqais for ships. How long for though is anyone’s post brexit guess.
                        Pity Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post

Yes, it's a big state. But, rightly or wrongly, it's always been typically associated with warm weather.
                          If the thread title was "Failing to repeat common misconceptions..." etc., then this might be relevant. But as it's "Incorrect Information...", well the supposedly incorrect information is in fact not incorrect (albeit a bit ill-defined).

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                            Also, Durham City has never had any real history of shipbuilding to my knowledge, although obviously bits of County Durham (as was) certainly did.
                            The A19 bridge is as far as shipbuilding ever got I believe and they won’t have been big. The QA bridge being as far as large ships were built.

Comment

The NYPD doesn't have a choir

Comment

But they do have a Pipe Band

Comment

In the video, they didn't know Galway Bay so they played The Mickey Mouse March instead

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post

Yes! It just doesn't work in either context. The rest of the song I get but that line really stands out and, as Stumpy says, is really irksome.
                                    Referenced of course in Randy Newman's I Love LA which starts "Hate New York City, it's cold and it's damp".

Comment

There's a classic tango song called 'Cien barrios porteños' ('One hundred neighbourhoods of Buenos Aires'). The exact number of barrios in Buenos Aires has varied over time, but at no point in its history has it ever come close to one hundred. It's currently 48, as it has been ever since Puerto Madero and Parque Chas were granted barrio status in their own right in 2005. Interestingly (not actually at all interesting information coming up) I used to live right on the boundary between San Telmo and Puerto Madero, and now live right on the boundary between Villa Ortúzar and Parque Chas, so I've inadvertently done a very slow tour.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                                        But scanned better

Which is why they changed the lyrics

Comment

Bad, bad, Leroy Brown

We get told in the early part of the song what a hardass Leroy is, the baddest man in the baddest part of town. One verse later and he's lying on the ground, having had the crap knocked out of him.

Comment

See, e.g., Mike Tyson in Tokyo

On the other hand, Croce is correct is locating the "baddest part of town" on the South Side of Chicago. Mr. Brown did not live in Hyde Park.

Comment

People living in the congo have a relatively strong desire to live in first world cities. even if people do have a tendency to bang you with automobiles.

Comment

Big Coffee doesn't fine you $50 (1950's prices) for drinking water in brazil, and politicians children are not subject to excessive arbitrary prosecution, or it seems, any form of prosecution at all.

Mice Don't wear clogs.

Comment

What was that COVID lockdown protest song Van Morrison did recently? That would presumably be full of incorrect information. Fortunately no-one worth a bean listens to new Van Morrison material.

Comment

See also: Clapton.

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                                    Mice Don't wear clogs.
                                                    Oh well, if we're going to the extent of disallowing 'suspension of disbelief' in lyrics, then I doubt those ducklings actually uttered the words 'quack quack, get out of town!' to their less-attractive contemporary...

Back on track, Jesus Christ, as far as we know, didn't 'die on a bed of spikes' as suggested by the J&MC on their Reverence hit.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X