Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

True.
    And, as we once discussed on here, he didn't work down at the drive in.
    And the song is really about teenage sex.
    It does, however, offer a pretty realistic picture of what happens to most bands that try real hard.
    Hold up. So what is a "six string" then?

Comment

Another one I've mentioned before.

In The Postal Service's Nothing Better. He says "And I will block the door like a goalie tending the net/ In the third quarter of a tied game rivalry."

It's unclear what sport he means. Not many sports have goalies, nets and quarters.

Hockey doesn't have quarters. It has periods. Three of them. Since he uses third instead of fourth, perhaps that's what he means, but "period" didn't fit the syllables.

Soccer has halves. Even college soccer with its weird rules doesn't use quarters. And even in the US, soccer people have taken to calling the position keeper. Not goalie, which sounds too American. I still say goalie.

Lacrosse uses quarters and has a goalie, and it's usually called a goalie because of the Canadian influence, but there are a lot of goals in lacrosse so the third quarter isn't especially tense. If he meant that, he could have said fourth quarter.

Likewise water polo. The guys in the group are, as I recall, from the west coast so more likely know water polo than lacrosse, but still, probably not. And even then, why not say fourth?

Comment

Three songs about the Northern Ireland troubles- The Men Behind The Wire, The Town I Loved So Well and Zombie, all seem to think that Tanks were used in the conflict, The Cranberries seemed to think that the IRA used them.

Tanks would have been useless in the North, and were never used

Comment

In the pop world, Busted underestimated spectacularly just how many generations would have lived and died by the Year 3000 - and there’s also, of course, that eejit American woman who doesn’t know the difference between London Bridge and Tower Bridge…

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
          Went over my head at the time. (I was only 14.)
          For twenty-five years, though? (NB It’s actually thirty-five years since that album was released.)

They've pitched a few like that, though - “Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns!” (from Joy Division Oven Gloves) being another example.

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
          The Cranberries seemed to think that the IRA used them.
          I think we could fill an entire thread with the late Ms O’Riordan’s lyrics.
          Last edited by Jah Womble; 15-09-2021, 20:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
            I think we could fill an entire thread with the late Ms O’Riordan’s lyrics.
            Johnny Cigarettes filled a fair chunk of a book with them.

Back to the OP - someone tell Bonio that he's counting 1, 2, 3, 14.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
              Three songs about the Northern Ireland troubles- The Men Behind The Wire, The Town I Loved So Well and Zombie, all seem to think that Tanks were used in the conflict, The Cranberries seemed to think that the IRA used them.

Tanks would have been useless in the North, and were never used
              It's possibly that she didn't know what a "tank" was.

Comment

Roger Whittaker fans could be forgiven for thinking Durham Town is on the River Tyne though he doesn’t specifically state it as fact.

Comment

"When I was in England town, the rain fell right down." Nice one Arthur. I'll have whatever you're smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
                    Roger Whittaker fans could be forgiven for thinking Durham Town is on the River Tyne though he doesn’t specifically state it as fact.

Also Ralph McTell stating that Tickle town was on the River Tum

Comment

The sun NEVER goes round the moon, Ms Williams.

Comment

They Might Be Giants covered Why Does The Sun Shine? (The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas), then recorded Why Does The Sun Really Shine? (The Sun is a Miasma of Incandescent Plasma) to correct the inaccuracies of the original.

Comment

Katie Melua to thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                            They Might Be Giants covered Why Does The Sun Shine? (The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas), then recorded Why Does The Sun Really Shine? (The Sun is a Miasma of Incandescent Plasma) to correct the inaccuracies of the original.
                            All of the above underlines to me exactly why TMBG deserve no less than the biggest slapping available.

Comment

On a planet hosting Jedward, Russell Brand and Donald Trump this seems somehow unnecessary.

Comment

To pick four people entirely at random, like.

Comment

If I were to pick a fifth I'd go for the upstairs dickhead neighbour. Front of the queue.

Comment

Those people deserve more than just a slapping. (Obviously.)

Comment

The line in The Lady is a Tramp, "hates California, it's cold and it's damp," always irked me. I don't get it in a factual context nor in an ironic one.
                                      Last edited by Stumpy Pepys; 01-10-2021, 09:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
                                        Durham? A town?

Comment

According to Google Maps, you could cycle from Durham to Gateshead in 70-90 minutes (depending on which route you take).

Don't see the attraction myself. Unless you really like ships.

Comment

Comment

On Lava the B-52's sing "My heart's crackin' like a Krakatoa/Krakatoa, east of Java, molten bodies, fiery lava" - they'll have got the 'east of Java' bit from the famously wrong film title I guess

Taylor Swift's London Boy lyrics are not exactly incorrect but geographically confused/overambitious (also cringeworthy as, even leaving out the "God I love the English!" bit):

I enjoy walking Camden Market in the afternoon
                                              Took me back to Highgate, met all of his best mates
                                              And now I love high tea, stories from uni, and the West End
                                              I enjoy nights in Brixton, Shoreditch in the afternoon
                                              So please show me Hackney
                                              Doesn't have to be Louis V up on Bond Street
                                              I enjoy walking SoHo, drinking in the afternoon (yeah)

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post

Durham? A town?
                                                Rhymes with “get me down”?
                                                I suppose he could’ve put some actual effort in and wangled City and pity into it somehow. Then “drinking beer, on the banks of the river wear, watching all the ships being built here, then leaving leaving leaving leaving leeeeeeaaaaving”.
                                                An up to date version could substitute Qashqais for ships. How long for though is anyone’s post brexit guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                                  Taylor Swift's London Boy lyrics are not exactly incorrect but geographically confused/overambitious (also cringeworthy as, even leaving out the "God I love the English!" bit):
                                                  Is this sung in a Dick van Dyke "Cock-er-nee" accent?

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post

Durham? A town?
                                                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Town_(Wings_album)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X