• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incorrect information gleaned from song lyrics

Half Man Half Biscuit's Fuckin' 'Ell it's Fred Titmus contains the line:

"Oh Dracula comes from Transylvania
    Stevie nicks books about kleptomania"

As a teenager, I misunderstood this as "Stevie Nicks' books about kleptomania" and for a good 25 years assumed that the witchy Fleetwood Mac singer had written confessional books about shoplifting and suchlike.

Uh, I'm pretty sure that that was part of the joke.

Stevie herself, however, documented some inaccurate information via Fleetwood Mac's Dreams: "Thunder only happens when it's raining."

This, as any meteorologist will tell you, is complete cobblers.

Comment

Similar to It Never Rains in Southern California. I mean, it doesn't rain much, but precipitation does exist.

Comment

Or The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.

Nope.

Comment

Is this "they got it wrong" or "I got it wrong"? We need herding.

Anyway, in Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves Cher "picked up a boy just south of Mobile", having plucked him out of the sea.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
            Is this "they got it wrong" or "I got it wrong"? We need herding.

Anyway, in Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves Cher "picked up a boy just south of Mobile", having plucked him out of the sea.
            Cher also sang later on in her career, "But there's one thing there's just not enough of/Not enough love and understanding". That's two things.

Comment

Double Exposure once sang that "ten percent of something, it beats one hundred percent of nothing at all".

Not if that 10% is say, having to watch two hours and 24 minutes of GB News every day.

Comment

Ah, well if we're getting into semantics, then I heard The Levellers' thirty-year-old anthem One Way on 6Music earlier.

I appreciate what the lyric is about, but it nonetheless had me wondering whether career criminals listen to that song and think 'oh well, if The Levellers say it's okay...'

Comment

The Only Way Is Up.

Nonsense.

Comment

Ditto Things Can Only Get Better.

Comment

Iggy Pop: Search and Destroy

I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm
                      I'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb

Well, Mr. Pop. Where do we start?

Comment

No-one mentioned Alanis yet? Isn't that ironic. Or possibly not... who knows?

Comment

I was going to include " Pride ( in the name of love)" but ,according to Wikipedia, U2 have realised their error on the time of day of MLK Jnrs death, and now sing " In the evening, April 4" .

Comment

Texarcana is 30 or so miles away from the Louisiana border

Comment

Summer of '69, what with joining bands, meeting his baby and his friend getting married, gave me unrealistic expectations of what a nine year old should be up to (Bryan Adams being born in November '59 and all)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                Uh, I'm pretty sure that that was part of the joke.
                                Went over my head at the time. (I was only 14.)

Comment

The Darkness's One way ticket to Hell and back is not a one-way ticket - you'll be wanting an off-peak day return, mush.

Comment

Saxon sang:

"Time after time, 10 miles high
                                    I'm living my fantasies, at 20,000 feet"

Biff confusing feet and yards, there.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                      Summer of '69, what with joining bands, meeting his baby and his friend getting married, gave me unrealistic expectations of what a nine year old should be up to (Bryan Adams being born in November '59 and all)
                                      True.
                                      And, as we once discussed on here, he didn't work down at the drive in.
                                      And the song is really about teenage sex.
                                      It does, however, offer a pretty realistic picture of what happens to most bands that try real hard.

Comment

If you were a city boy, born and raised in south Detroit, something is wrong. Because, as everyone surely knows by now, immediately south of Detroit you're in Canada.

If you did happen to have been born and raised in the suburbs south-west of Detroit you'd still be in the US, but a suburb boy not a city boy.

I'm pretty sure that the midnight train was almost certainly not going "anywhere" except maybe Michigan Central Station*, or if you're really lucky, perhaps Toledo.

* Which was still open when the song was released.
                                        Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 15-09-2021, 18:50.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                          He also claims to have bought his first six-string, over at the five and dime. So, presumably for 5-10˘? I'm aware of inflation, but that's stretching credulity. A Telecaster cost $269.50 in 1969.

Comment

The Royal Palm actually ran through coaches from Detroit to Miami via Atlanta, though it was segregated for most of its history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Palm_(train)

Comment

Woolworth's was the quintessential US "Five and Ten Cent Store"

I don't recall them ever selling musical instruments that weren't cheap plastic toys

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                And, as we once discussed on here, he didn't work down at the drive in.
                                                Actually he kinda did. He washed dishes at the Tomahawk diner in North Van. (see below)

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  The Royal Palm actually ran through coaches from Detroit to Miami via Atlanta, though it was segregated for most of its history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Palm_(train)
                                                  Well, now. That's me told. A quick look at the schedule for 1951 (http://www.streamlinerschedules.com/...alm195103.html) shows that at 11:50pm (effectively the midnight train) you caught it at Wyandotte Station. Wyandotte is 9 miles south-south-west of Detroit downtown, so could be considered "South Detroit".

So you could really take the midnight train from south Detroit and be going almost anywhere - Toledo, Dayton, Cincinnati, Lexington, Chattanooga (yeah, it's a Chattanooga choo choo!), Tampa...

That is much more exotic than I'd have expected. I take back my criticism of Steve Perry.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X