No Sir, I can't boogie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sir, I can't boogie

Marķa Mendiola, the one with the white outfits of Baccara, has died at 69. It's strange to think of her and Mayte as elderly women. They faded away so soon as pop stars that they remain forever young in my mind.

I'm sure I told the story before of how "Yes Sir, I Can Boogie" inspired me to really learn English when I was 11 -- it all began, ironically enough, with the word "hesitation".

I absolutely an unironically love that song. I also liked the follow-up, "Sorry I'm A Lady" (Mendiola did the spoken intro; she was also the Boogie moaner). I cannot apply critical criteria to it, because my judgment is totally fogged by nostalgia. But other than that, I'd struggle to commend any Baccara record.

Still, Mayte, in the black dress, was my first pop star crush, along with Agnetha of ABBA.

Aw, no...
    I'm another unironic lover of Baccara

Comment

That’s a shame, very young.

I imagine one or two OTFers might take exception to 69 being considered “elderly”!

Comment

Never heard 69 being called elderly before. Oh...

Comment

She was a prima ballerina before forming Baccara and had a solo single in 1983 about aerobics, with accompanying video, so not a one-trick pony by any means.

Comment

I went through an Italo Disco period early covid. I ended up brushing through loads of random euro hits which I wouldn't have touched with a barge pole when they came out, Call Me Up by NEW Baccara was one of them, worth a punt. Joyful, unpretentious, like all the best of all that largely untapped goldmine of pop genius. I have fond nostalgic false memories of foreign holiday discos in the stifling heat I didn't have when I was little, or perhaps a riviera nightclub, Lacoste shirts, Cinzano, men who look like Julio Iglesias, women like the other one in Baccara.

Comment

Working...
            X