"Oh, that's what it's called!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    It's not what this thread title is after, but it's close enough and I don't think it merits a whole new thread: when I was 11 I was (by the standards of an 11 year old) well into dance music, and had one cassette compilation called On a Dance Tip. The cover clearly hadn't been well proofread, because apart from the typeface being so shit I genuinely thought at the time that it was called 'DNA Dance Tip', track 1 on side 2 was listed as 'Here Comes the Hotstepper' by ... I'm A Kamikazi. I mean it was only one of the biggest chart hits of 1995; why would you, someone whose job it is to write track listings for compilation albums, bother to get the artist's name right?

I am delighted to say that having googled to find evidence that I'm not making this up, I've found it for sale on eBay with the track listing visible. Might have to give a few of those a listen for a serious Proustian rush later on (absolutely not all of them, though. Zig & Zag can fuck right off).
    I want that cassette!!!

Comment

Back on thread topic - probably the most regularly-misnamed song of recent years must be Three Lions.

I’d even go so far as to venture that those thinking it’s called Football’s Coming Home are in the majority.

Comment

Jah Womble yes I used to get the Oldies Unlimited catalogue, and spent a fair amount with them. I still have a US jukebox (donut) single of The Beatles’ I Feel Fine I got from there.

Anyway the misnomer I remember was when I spotted what appeared to be a (to me) unknown Japan single called Anthony’s Boy. Fortunately before ordering this to complete my collection I realised it was Cantonese Boy.

Comment

Ha ha, excellent, Mr Sits.

(I wonder if they had Cantonese Song by Billy Joel?)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

I want that cassette!!!
            £2.99 and it's yours, Simon. I'm surprised it's that steep though to be honest. Unless cassettes are back, back, back and I just didn't get the memo.

I think they ran out of dance songs for the end of side 2 hence the appearance of Jodeci and R Kelly. I don't think Jodeci have ever recorded anything remotely 'dancey' in their career.

Comment

As with many RnB acts of the time their labels would have passed them through the remixers hands. There's a couple of great Garage/House mixes of Jodeci's You Got It, first by CJ Mackintosh and then Cliviles & Cole. Also, their track Feenin' was remixed into outer space by LTJ Bukem. I remember a few UK garridge tracks with them on as well I'm sure. More bootleggy perhaps.

it wasn't that uncommon to find slower, more soulful tracks on general dance comps either. The early Deep Heat series springs to mind, which were great.

Apart from general, big genres like house, rap, techno, there wasn't quite as many sub genres splintering off from them as developed as the 90s went on, So, perhaps the general public a bit less discerning. I was quite snobby but never minded them for the most part. It looks a bit cheap and jarring now, but they could be quite good at introducing you to new sounds.

Comment

I can confirm that the Jodeci and R Kelly numbers on side 2 are the single versions rather than remixes, surprisingly. Jodeci I listened to on Spotify last night, along with all the others on the track listing that I could find on there apart from 'Bump N' Grind' for obvious reasons (namely not wanting to give my alphabet neighbour a stats bump given his being a paedo).

Pleased to report that 'Here Comes the Hotstepper' remains an absolute fucking banger. Mr Kamikazi can be proud of that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post

£2.99 and it's yours, Simon. I'm surprised it's that steep though to be honest. Unless cassettes are back, back, back and I just didn't get the memo.

I think they ran out of dance songs for the end of side 2 hence the appearance of Jodeci and R Kelly. I don't think Jodeci have ever recorded anything remotely 'dancey' in their career.
                  I don't even have a cassette player anymore so it'd be pointless.

It just reminds me of the mix tapes that used to be passed around the playground in my first year of secondary school in 1995/96.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    …which leads me to think of identically-named songs that are otherwise about as far removed from one another as possible. (Fatboy Slim / Jesus Jones, in this instance.)

Others include: Atmosphere (Joy Division / Russ Abbott); All the Things She Said (Simple Minds / tATu)

Anyway, as you were.
                    I'm genuinely taken aback that no one mentioned Power of Love in reply to this post. All charted in the same year, 2 at the same time and were all as different as different can be.

On the original subject, I didn't know for ages that Buck Rogers by Feeder was called Buck Rogers. (I just didn't know what it was called.)

Comment

Power of Love is a very good shout, obviously. (Two were also UK chart-toppers, of course.)

At the risk of hijacking further, two 1976 British number ones were called Forever and Ever: one was by Midge Ure-fronted Scots teenbait Slik, and the other by portly Greek lothario Demis Roussos. They were somewhat different, you might say.

Comment

Now I know we’ve done this before but there were songs called Angel Eyes (Roxy Music), Pretty Little Angel Eyes (Showaddywaddy) and Angeleyes (ABBA) which were all hits around the same time. I remember this vividly because all three were played during a summer holiday afternoon at the Carlyon Bay roller disco.

Comment

Two songs called Crazy were simultaneous hits around Christmas 1990: one has been given oxygen already ‘pon this thread (Seal); the other was a country classic by Patsy Cline.

There were also Something for the Weekend (Divine Comedy) and Something 4 the Weekend (SFA) - concurrent hits in July 1996.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                            cassettes are back, back, back
                            They are, allegedly.

Unlike vinyl however, it's probably just an ironic comeback because the only new cassette mechanisms being made are cheap junk, easily identifiable by the absolutely fucking massive motor being visible inside when you eject a tape.

Can't use chrome or metal tape, it's a coin toss whether it'll be stereo or not, so much wow and flutter that everyone sounds like a Dalek.

Best off just buying an old one and replacing the drive belts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                              There were also Something for the Weekend (Divine Comedy) and Something 4 the Weekend (SFA) - concurrent hits in July 1996.
                              I was thinking about this only the other day, to the extent of looking it up to convince myself I wasn't imagining them have been concurrent – they were indeed released just two weeks apart, and the Divine Comedy's was still at #31 I think when the Super Furry Animals' one went in at #18. And in each case it was the band's Top 20 breakthrough. Both great songs, too.

Madonna's already been mentioned (Holiday), but she also topped the charts in 1987 with Who's That Girl, exactly 4 years after the Eurythmics' equally well known song of the same name hit the top 3. I think Eve also hit the top 10 early in the new millennium with yet another song of the same title.

And, thinking about it, apart from all those Crazys (Crazies?) you allude to, Madonna also had a huge #2 hit twice over with Crazy For You (1985 and again as a remix in 1991), then Let Loose had a different huge #2 hit called Crazy For You in the summer of 1994 that got held up behind Love Is All Around.

Queen Madge has also had hits with The Look Of Love (not the ABC one), Cherish (not the Kool and the Gang one), Rescue Me (not the Fontella Bass one), Angel (not the Shaggy & Rayvon one), Human Nature (not the Michael Jackson one), One More Chance (still not the Michael Jackson one), Sorry (not the – spit – Justin Bieber one), and her most recent Top 10 Celebration (still not the Kool and the Gang one either). To be fair, she's had about 60 UK Top 10 hits, there was bound to be some crossover.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                ... track 1 on side 2 was listed as 'Here Comes the Hotstepper' by ... I'm A Kamikazi.
                                Late finding this, but this is amazing. I can already tell that this is one of those things that's just going to randomly pop into my head months from now, apropos of probably nothing, and make me giggle like a toddler.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                  Queen Madge has also had hits with The Look Of Love (not the ABC one), Cherish (not the Kool and the Gang one), Rescue Me (not the Fontella Bass one), Angel (not the Shaggy & Rayvon one), Human Nature (not the Michael Jackson one), One More Chance (still not the Michael Jackson one), Sorry (not the – spit – Justin Bieber one), and her most recent Top 10 Celebration (still not the Kool and the Gang one either). To be fair, she's had about 60 UK Top 10 hits, there was bound to be some crossover.
                                  <applause>

Comment

‘Crazys’ would be the correct pluralisation in this instance, yes.

And some fine research indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                      Now I know we’ve done this before but there were songs called Angel Eyes (Roxy Music), Pretty Little Angel Eyes (Showaddywaddy) and Angeleyes (ABBA) which were all hits around the same time. I remember this vividly because all three were played during a summer holiday afternoon at the Carlyon Bay roller disco.
                                      And 10 or so years later, Scottish white soul smackheads Wet Wet Wet did Angel Eyes (Home and Away), which is the song I would think of if someone said the title.
                                      The Wets plagiarised/incorporated an entire verse of a Squeeze song into their ditty, leading to a retrospective co-author credit for Chris Difford.

Comment

Yep, they lifted a whole tranche of Squeeze’s Heartbreaking World from Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti.

The thieving b*stards.

Comment

Have we mentioned Sir Duke?

Comment

Whoa. That's weird. I clicked just today that a song I've heard literally a thousand times on a restaurant loop tape is Sir Duke.

Comment

Sunshine Superman by Donovan, I always thought was called Any Trick in the Book.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                                Whoa. That's weird. I clicked just today that a song I've heard literally a thousand times on a restaurant loop tape is Sir Duke.
                                                Well, music is a world within itself.

Comment

Three Little Birds by Bob Marley and the Wailers for me, Brian.

Comment

Special Brew by Bad Manners, I mean, I could go on….

Comment

Working...
                                                    X