Songs that sound like they should be done by a different artist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Songs that sound like they should be done by a different artist

Just heard Young Parisians by Adam and the Ants. It sounds like something Half Man Half Biscuit should have done.

Crazy Horses by the Osmonds.

Comment

^‘Led Zeppelin for the under-fives.’ (NME, 1972.)

My cousin had the notion that Not So Manic Now by Dubstar sounded like a Smiths song. Which I’ve never been able to unhear since.

Comment

Taurig by The Fall:

Comment

'Not Fade Away' by Buddy Holly/Rolling Stones is such a close Bo Diddley copy that it may as well be a Diddley track, except that the buyers had probably never heard of Diddley.

Comment

Meanwhile, My Oh My by Sad Cafe is the closest I’ve heard to the Stones that isn’t the Stones.

Yep, even closer than that Broken English tribute band.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              'Not Fade Away' by Buddy Holly/Rolling Stones is such a close Bo Diddley copy that it may as well be a Diddley track, except that the buyers had probably never heard of Diddley.
              It was the 'B' side of Oh Boy, so it's unlikely any of Buddy's fans would have heard it before they bought it. The Stones version was their first really big hit and, while it is a Bo clone, I think few of their fans at the time were unaware of that. The Stones were still considered a 'blues band' by many, and to meet that demand loads of US R&B 45s were re-released at the time, including most of Bo Diddley's catalog. More interesting was the learning that Buddy Holly wrote it, as it didn't sound like a Buddy Holly song at all.

Comment

Crazy little thing love would have been one of the best songs elvis recorded in the sun sessions.

Comment

Given the official video, that possibility had not passed the creators by:-

Comment

Imagine turning up to an Elvis impersonator contest and finding you were up against Freddie Mercury. Everyone else would just sack it off as a pointless exercise at that point.

Comment

There's a song by Ace of Base called 'Always Have, Always Will' which I presumed was a faithful cover of an ABBA cover. Turns out it wasn't.

Comment

Any of the Rutles songs could easily have been recorded by The Beatles.

Comment

Cheese and Onions and Let's be Natural are better than anything Lennon managed from the White Album to the end (bar Happiness is a Warm Gun).

Comment

Same way Alcoholiday is a better Big Star song than anything by Big Star.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                              Crazy Horses by the Osmonds.
                              I don't know how much you've actually heard by the Osmonds but they have entire albums of songs that sound just like that, they're not all bubblegum pop and syrupy ballads

Comment

Especially live, I think:

Comment

My sister had all the Osmonds’ records when we were kids and - I’ll be honest - I don’t recall ‘entire albums of songs that sound just like that’…

Comment

Is someone going to volunteer to listen to a few of their LPs? I would but I'm, er, busy.

Comment

Well the whole of the Crazy Horses album (which is great) sounds like that, as does most of The Plan, Phase III and that live album Satchmo links to. They had a rock phase basically.

How good is this:

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                        Well the whole of the Crazy Horses album (which is great) sounds like that, as does most of The Plan, Phase III and that live album Satchmo links to. They had a rock phase basically.

How good is this:
                                        I like the music, the percussion et al, but the vocals don't do it for me. I'd never heard it before, by the way.

Comment

Avril 14th sounds like it should be soundtracking some slow moving Sunday night drama series, it shouldn't be from the man who brought the world Windowlicker and Equation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            Cheese and Onions and Let's be Natural are better than anything Lennon managed from the White Album to the end (bar Happiness is a Warm Gun).
                                            some of Neil Innes’ songs, you would swear were written by Lennon-McCartney and he has mimics Lennon’s voice perfectly. I have a playlist on my iPad which is a mixture of Beatles and Rutles songs and the similarities between the two are remarkable. I saw The Rutles in concert in Glasgow in 2019 and it was absolutely fantastic. Do I have to spell it out….

Comment

I was well into my 20's when discovering that 'lonely this Christmas' wasn't an Elvis Presley song.

Comment

I really appreciate how bands would go through phases where they made different types of music like the Osmonds there.
                                                This was The Beach Boys first attempt at emulating the Rolling Stones.

Comment

The Kids Are Alright always sounded like Townsend had been hanging out with Brian Wilson at Shepherds Bush Green beach.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X