Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charlie Watts. RIP

No words are necessary at all

Brilliant drummer who by all accounts was the glue that held the Stones together

Comment

To the best of my knowledge also a decent bloke, in contrast to at least a couple of other Stones. Great musician.

Some technical notes from top engineer Steve Albini.

https://twitter.com/electricalWSOP/status/1430215811629817859

Comment

Definitely the smallest ego in the band, which also made him the most likeable.

Comment

Ohhh. Yes, the Stones are his band, as much as anyone else's (per, not least, the legendary story of him punching Jagger into next week after Mick referred to him as "his drummer", with Watts informing him that Jagger was his singer), and yet Charlie was the one who seemed to need it the least, quite happy to go off and indulge his real love of being a brilliant jazz drummer after knocking off from his day job in the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world. RIP.

Comment

RIP.

Comment

Sad to hear this news. Great drummer, huge cricket fan and all round cool bastard. RIP.

Comment

It’s all over now.

RIP, CW.

Comment

Charlie made metronomic timekeeping swing.

RIP.

Comment

I'm assuming that Covid did for the Stones' touring ambitions (and probably a lot of other golden oldie touring outfits), but this has to be the final nail, or do they soldier on like Queen, missing key components of what made them who they were?

Farewell to a great drummer, his performance on Gimme Shelter writes him into the percussion Hall of Fame even had he done nothing else.

Comment

It still shocks me a bit when a rock n' roll star dies of, essentially, old age.

I hope the Stones stop touring as the Stones.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                        It still shocks me a bit when a rock n' roll star dies of, essentially, old age.

I hope the Stones stop touring as the Stones.
                        They've got an upcoming tour planned, which Charlie had already dropped out of. I imagine that'll go ahead, even if it's 'The Last Time.'

Comment

Awwwh Maaaaan no. RIP.

Love the decking Jagger story and also the one about unexpectedly turning up at Keefs place to try smack for the one and only time as his jazz idols were all long term junkies and he wanted to know what it was like.

Comment

His total calmness when he drummed always had me wonder how he navigated the chaos of that job. He seemed so out of place with the rest of the band. I saw the Stones twice but really too late: 1989 Steel Wheels Tour and then again in 1994 or 1995 but I don't know what tour that was. Again, it was late and the records weren't good by then.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                              His total calmness when he drummed always had me wonder how he navigated the chaos of that job. He seemed so out of place with the rest of the band.
                              He never, or rarely, joined in with the craziness. He seems to have kept his social and family life quite separate. When the band was in tax exile in France, most of them lived close to each other. But Charlie and his family lived quite a distance away, he'd only show up to rehearse or record. He definitely wasn't a party person according to Keef (who is a massive admirer.)

Comment

Seen tributes posted by both Midnight Oil and The Tragically Hip; he seemed to really have the respect of both bands.

Comment

By coincidence, Netflix just produced a doc about drummers. Not sure if he's in it or not.

Comment

They'd have missed a beat if they didn't snare him.

Comment

Hie doesn't feature, at least not as a talking head. But a docu on drummers ought to mention him, as well as people like Hal Blaine, Bernard Purdie, Steve Gadd, or -- alone for the remarkable story -- Jim Gordon.

The credited line-up looks like a terribly white affair: Stewart Copeland, Nick Mason, Clem Burke, Roger Taylor, Kain Paice, Rat Scabies, Topper Headon... And Jim Keltner,. who'll likely be the most interesting of the bunch.

Comment

If they don't start with Clive Stubblefield - and, of course, include Phil Collins - it won't be worth the watch.

(Bugger, just realised my avatar isn't there anymore, better get on that thread...)

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                          ... And Jim Keltner,. who'll likely be the most interesting of the bunch.
                                          Quite coincidentally, I've just posted a couple of great tracks from the Charlie Watts Jim Keltner Project album from 2000 over on the Jazz thread.

Comment

Why does "Paint It, Black" have a comma?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              we need a new thread on pop punctuation. I'm particularly keen on Motown parentheses. Ball of Confusion- (that's what's the world is today)

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Cock-up by Decca seems to be the most likely explanation.

Comment

The tedious thing about music fans who critique drummers--and who suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect--is that they think drumming is about playing as fast or as hard as possible. Or both.

Except that the really good drummers--like Ringo or Charlie--did neither.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X