Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    Have we mentioned Sisters of Mercy, "This Corrosion?"
    This was played at the “grand finale” of my brother’s cremation at the suggestion of his friends. I didn’t even know he liked the SoM until then.

Comment

At my friend's funeral, the pastor, who knew Eric well, played a video of U2 doing "40" live at Red Rocks. The message was appropriate, but it was kinda cringey, to be honest, because I don't think Eric liked U2 that much. I think he found them a bit up their own ass, as one does. And he was generally more technically sophisticated about music than I am. He played Bitches Brew in our dorm room back in college.

It made me sad, because my first instinct was to text him and say "check this shit out. This funeral I'm at used a very on-the-nose U2 song." And we would have discussed that. But he's not there now.

Sorry, that's a tangent but I had to say something to somebody somewhere.

Comment

At my friend's funeral, the pastor, who knew Eric well, played a video of U2 doing "40" live at Red Rocks. The message was appropriate, but it was kinda cringey, to be honest, because I don't think Eric liked U2 that much. I think he found them a bit up their own ass, as one does. And he was generally more technically sophisticated about music than I am. He played Bitches Brew in our dorm room back in college.

It made me sad, because my first instinct was to text him and say "check this shit out. This funeral I'm at used a very on-the-nose U2 song." And we would have discussed that. But he's not there now.

Sorry, that's a tangent but I had to say something to somebody somewhere.
        Don’t apologise that’s a great post. Music at funerals is important; I hope my family would look to my current Desert Island Discs playlist and go from there.

Comment

On that tangent, Spotify is promoting the capability to make a podcast with the whole song in it. I like Bandsplain where the host, whose name I forget, talks to a journo or other person who knows a lot about the band, and 60 Songs That Explain The 90's, with Rob Harvilla. I really like him. We have a lot in common.

Bandsplain episodes are very long, but I liked the one on U2 and the one on the Doors. I'm still working through the one on Fugazi, which I really like. The newest is on Cocteau Twins. I should listen to that one because I know so little about them.
          I listen to the 90s one and like it a lot, I'll check out the other one (I have uses for long podcasts). I used to like the Australian podcast The Album Club (who would do a couple of hours on each album covered) but they have really slowed their output during lockdown.

Comment

It's hard to go too far wrong with an organ.

He may be an absolutely dreadful yoke to deal with, but this is every bit as flattering to the dylan original as all along the watchtower. He even fixes dylan's phrasing to make it work. But it's the intro that's so amazing. I hope dylan wasn't looking for royalties for this. This has very little to do with him. (btw the guy in the middle and the guy with the fag are two of the most distinctively northern irish faces you will see.)

More Them.

The percussive ripple at the start of this is pure genius between the bass guitar, the clap and the ah is so clever. This song didn't do anything in the UK, the band broke up, and it rather randomly became a massive hit in the US

Comment

Funnily enough Gimme Some Lovin’ came up on my Spotify less than an hour ago. Closely followed by Them doing Here Comes The Night. I’d asked it to play On The Road Again by Canned Heat and those two were part of the “radio” it played from then on.

Comment

That canned heat song came up in the suggestions when I picked either of those two songs.

Comment

We’ve found them out. They only have 1000 songs.
                  Last edited by Sits; 22-09-2021, 12:14.

Comment

The songs I mentioned are all from a three or four year period, where the competition in the pop market was so utterly and ludicrously insane. I linked to a US chart a while back from 1966, and was marvelling that I knew over 30 songs in the top 40. You really needed to grab the audience by the throat and genitals in the first three seconds or you were utterly lost. I'm not going to link to Hard Day's Night, but that's a fucking dramatic way to open a song.

This absolute banger by Dusty Springfield is a really good example of a great song, that reached the soaring heights of er, no. 13 in the uk charts. I wonder what the other 12 songs were.

[

Comment

Impressive amount of Big Country already, practically a lovefest. (The Crossing album, yes, of course; but Steeltown is fantastic and for intros alone, you can get pretty deep into the lesser/later albums and b-sides hunting for great 10 seconds at the top of songs. "King of Emotion, "Devil in the Eye", "Kiss the Girl Goodbye", etc. - I love these songs entirely though so maybe I'm not the best judge.)

Agent Orange has several, but this has one of my favorite extended intros ever:
                      https://youtu.be/ctNo5IdTCbA

Comment

Working...
                      X