The Best Intros Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sits View Post
    What about songs which start with vocals?

Fan Mail by Blondie being an excellent example.

And (IIRC) Message To My Girl by either late Split Enz or early Crowded House. Is that the one which starts “She came all the way from America”?
    Basket Case by Green Day is great, as is When The Sun Goes Down by Arctic Monkeys. In fact I love that the Arctics song is bookended by the intro part.

Comment

Jah Womble yes she does (Hanging on the Telephone) and also on X Offender.

And I can’t believe that I’ve neglected to mention Stoned Love by The Supremes.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

Basket Case by Green Day is great, as is When The Sun Goes Down by Arctic Monkeys. In fact I love that the Arctics song is bookended by the intro part.
        To add to the Green Day appreciation, 'Panic Song' from the album insomniac is a furious, 2 minute build up of solo goodness before the song starts proper.

Comment

There are some great albums that start with the human voice, either spoken or sung:

Revolver - Beatles
          Please Please Me - Beatles
          This Year's Model - Elvis Costello & The Attractions
          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-08-2021, 09:35.

Comment

Not sure it's a great album, but I like it ; I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning by Bright Eyes. Starts with At the Bottom of Everything, which itself begins with a spoken monologue about a woman on a plane which, we soon learn, is about to crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
              What about songs which start with vocals?

Fan Mail by Blondie being an excellent example.

And (IIRC) Message To My Girl by either late Split Enz or early Crowded House. Is that the one which starts “She came all the way from America”?
              Three of my favourite songs. Fan Mail and Message To My Girl are both bands finest moments.

Comment

Kiss by Prince.
                I Heard It Through the Grapevine by Marvin Gaye.
                Born Slippy by Underworld.
                Geraldine by Glasvegas.
                Royals by Lorde.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
                  Kiss by Prince.
                  Definitely.

Also:

Every Little Thing — Yes

Also A couple from Simon And Garfunkel:

Homeward Bound & I Am a Rock

Like Chuck Berry, early on Paul Simon used guitar intros as a kind of signature. You can tell it's their song from the first few bars.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                    Agree with virtually everything on the thread (where I'm familiar with the tune).

My additions (with, by my definition, the intro ending when the singer starts):

Baba O'Riley - The Who
                    I Wanna Be Adored - The Stone Roses
                    Elephant Stone - The Stone Roses (give the drummer some)

and breaking my own rule, a spoken/shouted intro leading us to the music:
                    One Step Beyond - Madness
                    I went to see if someone had mentioned Baba O'Riley, having been reminded of it by 6Music playing it this morning. I see jwd got there first. I would debate his definition of what constitutes the intro though, particularly in this case. The song proper here starts when the guitar kicks in, which precedes the vocals by a few bars.
                    Anyway, as an snippet this intro sounds like nothing else that I know of in the popular music cannon. It does sound have reminiscences of certain classical compositions. Particularly by Terry O'Riley, of course.

Comment

Or is that actually a case of a second intro in the same song? Hmm. Maybe.

Comment

As is so often the case, Papua New Guinea by Future Sound Of London. Loads of mixes out there but they all kick into gear similarly - and the gear is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                          Or is that actually a case of a second intro in the same song? Hmm. Maybe.
                          Second intros eh? Well The Chain springs to mind.

Comment

On these threads it's obligatory to say "I can't believe nobody's mentioned ..." and then get told it was on page 1.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Curtis Mayfield's Move On Up and apologies to whoever did.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned “Crazy Train?”

Comment

Safe European Home - The Clash
                                American Girl - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
                                The Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy
                                Can't Get Enough - Bad Company
                                I See Red - Split Enz
                                Never Tear Us Apart - INXS (the long version)

Comment

Gotta Give It Up - Marvin Gaye
                                  Love’s Theme - Barry White
                                  In The Night - Pet Shop Boys
                                  One More Chance - Pet Shop Boys
                                  It’s A Sin - Pet Shop Boys
                                  Rave On - Buddy Holly (another vocal start)
                                  Rio - Duran Duran (may be upthread)
                                  Shout - Tears For Fears
                                  Tears Are Not Enough - ABC

Comment

I agree with a lot of what has been posted so far, but for me this is the best:

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                      Also A couple from Simon And Garfunkel:

Homeward Bound & I Am a Rock

Like Chuck Berry, early on Paul Simon used guitar intros as a kind of signature. You can tell it's their song from the first few bars.
                                      I quite enjoy their Save the Life of my Child for the opposite reason: "here's our new album. You were expecting more folk? Have some Moog."

Comment

Another Girl Another Planet- The Only Ones.

Where the Streets Have No Name- U2

What Now- Something Happens

Emerald- Thin Lizzy

Back on the Chain Gang- The Pretenders

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                          On these threads it's obligatory to say "I can't believe nobody's mentioned ..." and then get told it was on page 1.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Curtis Mayfield's Move On Up and apologies to whoever did.
                                          Yes! Great shout. Straight in, no messin'. (see also Abba's Dancing Queen).

I was listening to Steely Dan's Reeling in the Years the other day. It's not their greatest song but the several guitar solos provided by session musician Elliott Randall throughout the 4 minutes and 38 seconds elevate its status greatly. His first solo forms part of the intro. It's fairly usual to have a song start with a guitar riff but less usual for it then to develop into a solo such as this (reportedly Jimmy Page's favourite guitar solo):

Comment

It is a great guitar piece. Indirectly It got me date with a young woman in the cafeteria where we both worked. It was on the radio and I was nodding along to it, she was doing the same, we noticed each other, laughed and that was that.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                              It is a great guitar piece. Indirectly It got me date with a young woman in the cafeteria where we both worked. It was on the radio and I was nodding along to it, she was doing the same, we noticed each other, laughed and that was that.
                                              A Steely Dan meet cute!

Looking at that album cover though - I don't think the disparity between great album and terrible cover has ever been so great.

Comment

Steely Dan didn't always have the greatest sleeve art, it must be said.

How did AdeC's 'hook-up' pan out, I wonder?

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

I did but the software would only allow me to post approx half of those I listed for some reason. It’s actually my ringtone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                    Steely Dan didn't always have the greatest sleeve art, it must be said.

How did AdeC's 'hook-up' pan out, I wonder?
                                                    We had a convivial drink together but that was it. IIRC we were both either in, or about to be in, other relationships at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X