Missing Persons (Band)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Persons (Band)

5 minor US hits in 1982-1983. I had never heard of them until last month, when 'Words' and 'Walking In L.A' were played on oldies radio here. I wonder why they made no impact in the UK - they would be a refreshing presence based on these singles.

They were still being played to death on KROQ in Los Angeles in the late 80s and early 90s, not just the obvious 'Walking in LA' but also 'Destination Unknown'. I can only guess that kind of sound didn't travel well by then, there were a few "late new wave" bands like that in America that didn't feature in Europe. Even the Go-Gos had very limited success here at the time (certainly compared to their status in America), which has been enhanced in retrospect by Belinda Carlisle's solo success.

Comment

And Terry Hall co-writing, and recording his own group's hit version of, 'Our Lips Are Sealed.'

Comment

GoGos were huge in the US.

I am surprised that Missing Persons didn't travel as well, since they certainly would have appealed to Gary Numan fans and other New Wave fans. Did Berlin do well in the UK? As I was typing this, I thought Missing Persons did "Riding on the Metro" but had to look up the song.

Comment

Working...
        X