• Show
Clear All

Dusty to Dust

Dusty Hill of ZZ Top dies aged 72.

Boot Hill

Sharp Dressed Corpse

RIP.

Comment

Shame. They're a band I'd have loved to have seen live. I still find it amazing that Billy Gibbons played support for Hendrix. They feel like such different eras in my head.

Comment

Dang it!

Comment

I saw them live about three years ago. I was very impressed how big a sound three rather elderly gentlemen could make.

Comment

I hated their big 80s hits. Hated them. One day a mate of mine handed me an album "Don't look at who it is, just play it." It was Antenna and suddenly the light bulb went on. Forget the 80s hair metal bollocks, this was proper whisky soaked Southern blues/rock.

RIP Dusty.

Comment

Desperately sad news. ZZ Top were great in both their seventies dirty blues/rock roots and their machine-tooled eighties polished pop/rock era.

I loved Dusty's voice on his songs from either period or when he traded vocals with Billy,

This feels like the loss of Neil Peart from Rush or MCA from Beastie Boys - the dynamic of such trios is perfect and they can't carry on without any one member.
              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 28-07-2021, 23:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                Desperately sad news. ZZ Top were great in both their seventies dirty blues/rock roots and their machine-tooled eighties polished pop/rock era.

I loved Dusty's voice on his songs from either period or when he traded vocals with Billy,

This feels like the loss of Neil Peart from Rush or MCA from Beastie Boys - the dynamic of such trios is perfect and they can't carry on without any one member.
                Totally agree. For some reason — other than it was in the charts at the time — I will always associate Touch with my arrival in Vancouver. But the best thing about ZZ Top was that they never took themselves too seriously and had a readily identifiable, characteristic, sense of humour. That will always win people over.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                  Shame. They're a band I'd have loved to have seen live. I still find it amazing that Billy Gibbons played support for Hendrix. They feel like such different eras in my head.
                  I saw them at Castle Donington Monsters of Rock 1983 in the middle of a bill featuring Whitesnake & Meat Loaf above them and Twisted Sister & Dio below them. What a great line up.

They played a set that covered their whole back catalogue and was absolutely excellent. I mean, look at this, a Funkadelic cover at Monsters of Rock in 1983! ;

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 29-07-2021, 00:51.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                    ZZ Top have been around for more than half a century.

RIP. They always raised a smile.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Totally agree. For some reason — other than it was in the charts at the time — I will always associate Touch with my arrival in Vancouver. But the best thing about ZZ Top was that they never took themselves too seriously and had a readily identifiable, characteristic, sense of humour. That will always win people over.
                      Absolutely, they had far more character than a lot of their peers which is why their somewhat cartoonish image for their eighties reinvention worked so well.

Did your spellchecker censor 'Tush', btw or have I missed something?

Comment

I don't think it's widely known that 'Touch' is actually 'Tush'.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Absolutely, they had far more character than a lot of their peers which is why their somewhat cartoonish image for their eighties reinvention worked so well.

Did your spellchecker censor 'Tush', btw or have I missed something?
                          It did! Bloody things.

Comment

Working...
                          X