Harrowing album covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harrowing album covers

Auntie Beryl posting the cover of Queen's worst album shook me so much that I had to start a thread about similarly distressing sleeves, whether it be intentional or otherwise.

I always thought the crying baby on Paul Hardcastle's No Winners was... umm, yeah...

And what the fuck is going on with Todd Rundgren's 2nd Wind?

But if you want badly Photoshopped shite emerging in your nightmares, you can always rely on Creed:

Almost certainly still better than their music, however.

Two Virgins- John and Yoko. Nobody needed to see that.

Comment

Bushwick Bill's eye injury is almost eclipsed by Willie D's jacket as the most disturbing thing on the cover of Geto Boys' We Can't Be Stopped.

Comment

Comment

There is a certain band who had an LP cover depicting a suicide, saw it 25 years ago and still haunts me.

Comment

Kinda cheesy looking now, but seeing this for the first time at a used record store many years ago freaked me out.

Comment

Originally posted by A_Syd_Casualty View Post
              There is a certain band who had an LP cover depicting a suicide, saw it 25 years ago and still haunts me.
              I think that's The Dawn Of The Black Hearts by Mayhem. Won't post a picture for obvious reasons.

Norwegian black metal is properly fucked up.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

I think that's The Dawn Of The Black Hearts by Mayhem. Won't post a picture for obvious reasons.

That tale has a fitting ending - it was a unilateral decision by the band's guitarist to use the picture (of the band's former singer), and the bass player left because of it. The replacement bass player later murdered the guitarist.

Comment

Originally posted by A_Syd_Casualty View Post
                  That would be Unsane, image of a guy decapitated by a subway train. It was In the bargain bin of a record stall in Greenwich for years, I must have flicked quickly past it 100 times.

John Zorn/Naked City have some atrocious ones, I can't remember what it was, thankfully, but remember being really freaked out by it.

Comment

I really must stop Googling the suggestions.

Comment

There's a 'Blodwyn Pig' in my past.

Comment

A mate of mine was traumatised by this LP when he was a kid.

Comment

He's not wrong.

Comment

I was going to suggest Infected by The The, until I saw what was already here.

Comment

Toe Fat by Toe Fat, or even Toe Fat (Two).

Comment

The Storm Thorgerson designed cover of Lovedrive by Scorpions always freaked me out a bit as a kid. It was in my brother's record collection and had a fair bit of competition amongst his 70s prog and metal, but this was the one that sticks in my mind.

Comment

I came on here expecting to see a Wurzels record.

Comment

The Millie Jackson on the toilet one always makes me a little bit sad because she is a truly, truly great singer.

Still, if it was her choice and it sold well, I guess that's a win.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                      The Storm Thorgerson designed cover of Lovedrive by Scorpions always freaked me out a bit as a kid. It was in my brother's record collection and had a fair bit of competition amongst his 70s prog and metal, but this was the one that sticks in my mind.
                                      Sticks...that's a good one.

This one took a little time to get used to. Way tamer than their live shows from that era.

Last edited by Cal Alamein; 20-07-2021, 20:11.

Comment

Totally with Stewie.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

THAT album cover (I've seen it, would rather not again) is the least of it.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post

That would be Unsane, image of a guy decapitated by a subway train. It was In the bargain bin of a record stall in Greenwich for years, I must have flicked quickly past it 100 times.

John Zorn/Naked City have some atrocious ones, I can't remember what it was, thankfully, but remember being really freaked out by it.
                                            Unsane had another record which pictured someone in the aftermath of having shot themselves in the head. They at least had the “good taste” to desaturate the image unlike Big Black whose Headache 7-inch has a picture of someone in a mortuary with a gunshot wound to the head. Steve Albini is a great musician and producer and Big Black’s business model had much to recommend it. But between things like the Headache photo and his Rapeman side-Project, he’s also been a fucking idiot at times.

Comment

I bought a couple of those John Zorn records after seeing Naked City live somewhere in Manchester. They music is fascinating and totally nuts - although it was never going to be on heavy repeat. I made a point at never looking at the covers, though.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                                                Toe Fat by Toe Fat, or even Toe Fat (Two).
                                                The former was going to be my suggestion. Deeply upsetting.

I sometimes walk past the Top Hat shop in Portobello and wonder whether that was how they came by their name.

(Edit: The band, I mean. I'm sure top hats existed somewhat previously.)
                                                Last edited by Jah Womble; 23-07-2021, 08:44.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyDracula View Post

That tale has a fitting ending - it was a unilateral decision by the band's guitarist to use the picture (of the band's former singer), and the bass player left because of it. The replacement bass player later murdered the guitarist.
                                                  Sorry to keep picking at this ugly scab, but just to point out that the only reason the original bassist didn't murder the guitarist was that the replacement bassist beat him to it.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X