No announcement yet.

Harrowing album covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are several musicians who drink at my (German) local and have formed a number of bands over the years. They've always had interesting names - Blumen am Arsch der Hölle; Angeschissen; Dackelblut; Oma Hans; Kommando Sonne-NMilch; probably loads of others - and sometimes had album covers that might be described as "harrowing".

Comment

Comment

"We couldn't afford Roger Dean or Frank Frazetta for the album cover, I'm afraid."

"That's alright, my brother will do it."

"Isn't your brother, like... six years old?"

"Yeah, he's got his crayons... he's only eaten three!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
          I was going to suggest Infected by The The, until I saw what was already here.
          Quite. I was always really upset by the story of the Squonk on A Trick of the Tail by Genesis that my dad used to tell me and which features on the cover. Quite a few of these tales are knocking the story of the poor sod crying himself to death into quite a few cocked hats.

Comment

A personal one here on account of my trypophobia, or is it meant to make me wince? Excellent album though:

Comment

Absolutely fantastic album. I think there are two Shins fans on here, Sits - me and your good self.

Comment

(Although I think Chutes Too Narrow is superior.)

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post
                  This is veering into "so shit it's almost fantastic" territory.

(As an aside, I did wonder if part of that was inspired by Dead Space, the game. However a quick Google suggests that the album was released in 1994 with the game in 2008.)

Comment

Script of the Bridge by The Chameleons - I find that sleeve 'harrowing' in that it's so bad.

Shame, because it's a decent album.

(Sorry, always get 'does not match...' notices when I try to upload an image here, so I've kind of given up trying.)

Comment

You’re not wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                        (Although I think Chutes Too Narrow is superior.)
                        Yes. The first one is decent and Port of Morrow is OK but I drifted away at that point. Good live.

Comment

Absolutely fantastic album. I think there are two Shins fans on here, Sits - me and your good self.
                          I would count myself in that group (sits nervously at end of pub table, poised to try and say something intelligent about The Shins that will trigger his acceptance in the notorious OTF Shins Clique...)

Comment

A Certain Ratio's To Each... is another stinker that looks like it might have been sourced from a rummage through the school art room bins.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post

I would count myself in that group (sits nervously at end of pub table, poised to try and say something intelligent about The Shins that will trigger his acceptance in the notorious OTF Shins Clique...)
                              *narrows eyes, tries to think of trenchant question about Oh, Inverted World*

Sod it, you're in. Fancy a pint?

Comment

Do I mean trenchant? I don't think I do. But in the absence of being able to think of the word I do think I mean, I'll leave it in.

Comment

In terms of "shit covers" and at the risk of being accused of shooting Derek Dick in a barrel, absolutely any Marillion sleeve.

Comment

I wasn't sure whether to include this in case it offends any similarly hirsute residents of OTF, but I would hope that were they ever in the fortunate position of choosing a photo for the cover of their solo album, they wouldn't select one that so unflatteringly displayed a literal self-grown hair-shirt. Peter Erskine, alas, had no such qualms. Harrowing? Maybe not. But once seen it's hard to forget.

Comment

*narrows eyes, tries to think of trenchant question about Oh, Inverted World*

Sod it, you're in. Fancy a pint?
                                      He’s based in Germany, which does lend kudos, so I’ll second it.

Comment

Yay, I'm in with the Shin Crowd!

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                          You're not wrong.
                                          It's somehow made worse by the fact that the sleevenotes refer to its having been designed by Chameleons guitarist Reg Smithies - along with the comment 'good, isn't it?'

Benjm's ACR sleeve is equally grim. (What is it with credible post-punk acts and dodgy record covers?)

Comment

And this is the censored version. The original is obviously difficult to find online.

Comment

Though am assuming harrowing was whole point of exercise

Comment

Might The Scorpions hold the dubious honour of the most consistently offensive album covers?

Comment

I'm assuming that the Boxer album is only remembered by me...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                    I'm assuming that the Boxer album is only remembered by me...
                                                    No, I remember that one too. (Presumably you are referring to 'Below The Belt').

Comment

Working...
                                                    X