No announcement yet.

Bands you used to love and now leave you cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure that I ever go off anything for good. Maybe if steveeee leaves Pavement alone for 20 years, he'll get a kick out of them again. Take, for example, Stiff Little Fingers.

The other week I bought one of those Rhino 'five CDs in a slim cardboard case' collections with the first five SLF albums (including the live one) for €10. Back in my teens, I only ever listened to the first two albums, which I had on tape. The second one, Nobody's Heroes, was my favourite. I saw them live in Sheffield and was duly head-shanked, and I'd probably have listed them among my ten favourite bands around 1981/82. Then I lost the tape and have barely given them a thought since.

I waited for the appropriate night (flat empty), fired up a fatty, and put on Nobody's Heroes - probably the first time I've listened to it in over 35 years. Fuck, did I enjoy it. So much that I played Inflammable Material straight after. I realised that it's an even better LP than Nobody's Heroes (as everyone told me at the time), because there's no filler and they sound fresher and hungrier. That was three weeks ago, and their songs have been raging around my head ever since.

The Smiths or New Order will never sound wrong to me, they're too wrapped up in what I was doing and what I was trying to become in the 1980s. I kind of feel like, "If you no longer like that song that's still really special to me, could you do me a favour and shut up about it?"

Comment

'Hot Space' is great! 'Body Language' is on it! 'I'm Going Slightly Mad' is the winner from their late years.

Queen are an example of the opposite of the thread premise, a group I disliked as a teenager but have grown to love. Also The Move.

Nice music enthusiasm story, imp.

Comment

The Move! Nice. Roy Wood is an under-regarded pop genius.

Comment

When U2 first came on the scene, I was a massive fan. I played " BOY" and "OCTOBER " every chance I got, then they produced "WAR" ,and it was like turning off a switch, I went completely the other way, thinking of them as a bombastic shower of wasters. The only thing of their I've bought since is "ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND " which is a great album, otherwise I'm pretty meh about them.

I loved early Simple Minds at the time, but I couldn't tell you the last time I played any of their stuff.

Comment

I'm not as into U2 as much as I was in 9th grade, but I wouldn't say I've gone cold on them.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
              For me, Pavement are in, or on the fringe of, a different category ; bands I like the idea of more than the reality.
              That's the KLF for me: love everything about them, don't like any of their songs except Doctorin' the Tardis and even then I'd rather listen to the Gary Glitter original

Comment

The only band mentioned in this thread that I don't like is one I've never liked: Queen.

A year or so ago I was on a zoom happy hour with some guys I've known since I was a teenager. We were talking about 80s bands that we liked a lot that we don't like anymore (Bunnymen, New Order, Cure, Furs, Depeche Mode) and which we might not dig anymore. Similar to this thread. I said The Smiths but then listened to them and still dig em. Of course, there's a difference between still liking a band and listening to them regularly but in the last month I have brought CDs in the car with me for every band I listed in this post except Depeche Mode but that's because I don't have any of their CDs. Everything is on vinyl. But I tend to mix those CDs in with CDs put out by new bands.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                  Perhaps the cover art of Cut & Shut Queen didn't help. Man alive.

Thread idea...

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post

A year or so ago I was on a zoom happy hour with some guys I've known since I was a teenager. We were talking about 80s bands that we liked a lot that we don't like anymore (Bunnymen, New Order, Cure, Furs, Depeche Mode) and which we might not dig anymore.
                    I was a teenager in the 80s, and along with bands like the above, and also The Smiths, Siouxsie, Blondie, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, The Jam, The Style Council, etc, we all followed them like football teams.
                    I guess one of the advantages of getting older in regards to music is that you appreciate the music differently. I’m 51 now, and probably since the late 90s, I’ve been more of a song fan than artist fan.

Comment

Working...
                    X