Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Given names in song titles (or very prominently in lyrics, e.g. in the chorus)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

My name's not "Guy"…
    Then it’s likely to be a struggle for the majority of us.

The most obvious song that bears my name of which I can think is a Pearl Jam tune about a kid who takes a gun to school. So, cheers, Vedder.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

My name's not "Guy"…
      Always look on the bright side...

Comment

Potiphar (from Joseph and his coat).

Comment

Maria is a recurring character in Counting Crows songs.

Virginia is the girl being serenaded in Only the Good Die Young by Billy Joel.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
            Always look on the bright side...
            Arf!

Comment

Featuring very prominently in the lyrics...

Angela, Pamela, Sandra, Rita, Monica, Erica, Tina, Sandra, Mary, Jessica - Lou Bega
              Shirley, Deborah, Julie, Jane, Jennifer, Alison, Phillipa, Sue, Annabel, Cathy - The Beautiful South

Comment

It's slightly surprising to realise that there's no apparent crossover between Mr Bega and Mr Heaton's respective lists. It feels like they ought to at least have a Pamela or a Jessica in common, but no.

That first trio in Mambo No.5 in particular would sound completely at home in Song For Whoever, I think because they appear to belong to the exact same generational cohort as the likes of Julie, Jane, Phillipa, Sue, Cathy – which in Britain at least almost invariably signify a woman somewhere in the 50-70 range these days, give or take 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Then it’s likely to be a struggle for the majority of us.

The most obvious song that bears my name of which I can think is a Pearl Jam tune about a kid who takes a gun to school. So, cheers, Vedder.
                  The first one I can think of for me is a Busted song in which the title sounds sneeringly dismissive. So cheers, Willis, Simpson and the other one.

Comment

My two siblings and I all have songs with our names in the title (although one is a homonym). None of these songs have been mentioned in this thread, despite two of them being very well known (and charting well) and the third was also by a famous artist.

I'll leave it at that for privacy reasons.

Comment

"Lorraine Lorraine Lorraine Lorraine Lorraine Lorraine Lorraine Lorraine Lorraine Lorraine" - 'Lorraine' by Bad Manners

Comment

Working...
                      X