Joni Mitchell 1968-1971 Remasters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
    Just to add, that IoW performance really is one of the bravest I have ever seen, and as complete an example of male prejudice against women you will ever see. No way would any of that sh*t been subjected to a male performer and there is no way a woman would have the disrespect for others or misunderstanding of their own authority to deliver such abuse or pulls such stunts.
    While you're quite right Joni bravely stuck it out during, what was close to becoming, a riot. But in all honesty I don't think the crowd's attitude was much to do with her personally. She just happened to be on the receiving end.

Context is important here. This was the year after Woodstock, a three day festival that became a "free" concert which, given the scale, was because there was really no alternative. A couple of weeks later The second IoW Festival with Bob Dylan, had been a success. Though, I can attest, there was a fair amount of tension in the crowd, down to inadequate toilet facilities and lack of provisions. At around the same time there were huge free concerts in Hyde Park by Blind Faith and the Rolling Stones. "Big" and "Free" became synonymous in some people's minds after that. This reached its nadir at Altamont that December, when the Rolling Stones hired the Hells Angels to run security and they murdered someone. Trouble increased at large events the following year. the Festival Express, which was supposed to play outdoor concerts across Canada around the same time as Joni played IoW, was eventually cancelled as factions outside the venues tried to "liberate the music." The organisers of most of these events had little to no experience. Security was minimal at the IoW and outside the temporary fencing there was no food or water available. Given that it was the height of Summer people got exhausted and very pissed off after a day or two. Throw in a few shit disturbers and it's no wonder there were problems. Based on what I heard at the time from people who attended it could have been a heck of a lot worse.
    Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 10-07-2021, 19:44.

Comment

Joni’s first eight albums from ‘68s ‘Song To A Seagull’, to ‘76s ‘Hejira’ are just pure heaven for me!

Comment

I'm a latecomer to them but they will remain with me until I leave the planet. 'Hejira' and 'Blue' (very different albums) are absolutely in the top rank of albums ever made and the others are not far off. I also like 'Don Juan's Reckless Daughter' despite its sprawling self-indulgent nature and offensive cover. Some of her best work is buried within it and it's worth the investment. 'Mingus' is a 3 am album that can work occasionally. 80s and beyond: no idea, but I'd be surprised if she completely lost her ability to write and produce some great tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          80s and beyond: no idea, but I'd be surprised if she completely lost her ability to write and produce some great tracks.
          The post-'Mingus' albums have their moments but compared to what had gone before, her songs struggle to breath against the typically overbearing 80's/90's production (largely due I suspect to then-husband and co-producer Larry Klein's influence).

It's worth checking out 'Travelogue' from 2002 - a selection of her earlier material sympathetically re-worked and re-recorded with orchestral / big band arrangements.

Comment

Going back to the original post, I'm not one for remastered albums and especially ones as good as these, what's the point? But I've just listened to Blue and they really have done an amazing job. Very spacious in my headphones, feels like you're sitting in the middle of a room with 2 Joni's playing either side of you - quite a sensation.

Comment

Today is Joni Mitchell's 80th birthday. So here's a mix of covers of her songs.

Comment

Thanks G-Man. Can’t believe she’s 80.

Comment

Working...
                X