Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joni Mitchell 1968-1971 Remasters

Released last Thursday. Here's 'A Case Of You' from her Youtube site:

We recently had a thread about artists who reinvented themselves. Joni kinda does this in 1973-76 with her jazz-influenced work, and she lowers her vocal by at least an octave to adjust to her cords developing nodules (perhaps from rock singing, perhaps from smoking like a chimney), but I think she always had the ability to use tunings, vocal leaps, melisma and variations of meter in a way that was totally original, and she never lost that even as she crossed genres (folk, rock, jazz, strong classical influences).

I don't think the rock era has produced a greater artist.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-07-2021, 15:29.

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    We recently had a thread about artists who reinvented themselves. Joni kinda does this in 1973-76 with her jazz-influenced work,
    She also did it earlier, though not so dramatically perhaps, with Blue. The subject matter and lyrical changes were clear, but the album also represented a move away from her folk based roots. A brilliant musician and lyricist. Better than she is, or was, as a painter, though she would almost certainly not agree.

Comment

Actually I'd be really interested in hear the remastered stuff from her first album. It could certainly be an improvement.

Comment

This is 'Cactus Tree' remastered:

Comment

Perhaps not surprisingly, the 'Jazz Joni' period of 'Hissing of Summer Lawns', 'Hejira', 'Don Juan's Reckless Daughter' and 'Mingus' (with the live album sandwiched in the middle) is my favourite by some distance. (And of course from 'Hejira' onwards there's Jaco Pastorius at his peak to enjoy). Although they have their moments of beauty, the preceding albums just don't do it for me in comparison.

Comment

I started to read this NYT piece but couldn't keep going since I'm not a huge fan of her work (more interested in the idea of a Laurel Canyon scene than the music itself) and because so many people are asked to comment just to make up a 50 people commenting on a 50-year old record than going with a smaller number of people who say smart things. But, if you're a fan of her work then I think this criticism might be moot:
            https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...hell-blue.html

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              This is 'Cactus Tree' remastered:

Thanks for that.

What a tragedy to lose such a voice, for her, and for us.

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post
              Although they have their moments of beauty, the preceding albums just don't do it for me in comparison.
              I'm just the opposite. It's the lyrical Joni that does it for me. But that could change as I get older ; )

Comment

I have never.made it through Blue without tearing up more than once

And it has been that way for close to 50 years now.

Comment

Yeah. An extended pause after Little Green is required every single time.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                    I'm just the opposite. It's the lyrical Joni that does it for me. But that could change as I get older ; )
                    Although i doubt that you will change your mind, let's hope that you have many more years in which to reconsider, Amor ; )

Comment

Aw shucks!

Comment

Here's "Blue" in cover versions: http://halfhearteddude.com/2021/06/blue-recovered/

I've listened a lot to Joni Mitchell lately, and to covers of her folk-era songs. I don't like her high-pitch -- personal failing, perhaps but it grates on me -- so I don't listen to her music often. And every time I do, I realise my foolishness. And every time I discover something new, or a new favourite. Perhaps my foolishness is actually a gift that allows me to reawaken to Mitchell's songs.

Currently I'm earwormed with a German version of "Both Sides Now" by Katja Ebstein.

Comment

Looking forward to giving these a go. I’ve been late to Joni and enjoy the “remastered” period the best so it should be a treat.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                            Here's "Blue" in cover versions: http://halfhearteddude.com/2021/06/blue-recovered/

I've listened a lot to Joni Mitchell lately, and to covers of her folk-era songs. I don't like her high-pitch -- personal failing, perhaps but it grates on me -- so I don't listen to her music often. And every time I do, I realise my foolishness. And every time I discover something new, or a new favourite. Perhaps my foolishness is actually a gift that allows me to reawaken to Mitchell's songs.
                            Yes, I was introduced to Mitchell by my dad playing her songs, so I'd heard songs like Raised on Robbery and Circle Game hundreds of times before I heard the originals and I struggled with the pitch for a long time.

Comment

I listened to Hejira yesterday, much like Bowie's "Station to Station", it's one of those few truly outstanding cocaine-induced albums. It's self-indulgent, most of the songs sprawling and lengthy journeys, but she surrounded herself with such an array of superb and diverse musicians that the whole thing works. It drowns you in the vibes of her time and place better than any album I can think of, you really are submerged into Joni's trip.

I couldn't stand Joni Mitchell when I was younger, mostly due to the Counting Crows cover of "Big Yellow Taxi", which I'd rate as one of my most detested pieces of music. But discovering her music over the past 5 or 6 years has been one of the most enjoyable music discoveries I have experienced. I go back to her albums time and time again, there is nothing like them, nothing can be compared to her, she is a unique artistic great of my time.

Comment

Great post, steveeeeeee; expresses my own thoughts very beautifully. There's clearly an ego barrier with Joni that you have to overcome (everything seems to be "look at me, aren't I clever"?)* but once you forgive her that self-indulgence and just enjoy the artistry and originality, it is a unique and immensely rewarding body of work.

*and stunning lack of empathy for opposing points of view when she's clearly in the wrong, most notably the blackface cover.

Comment

Sorry to go against the grain here, but I don't see the point of Joni Mitchell. It's not that I don't like her music, it's just too bland. Forgettable. Like a female Ed Sheeran.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                    Sorry to go against the grain here, but I don't see the point of Joni Mitchell. It's not that I don't like her music, it's just too bland. Forgettable. Like a female Ed Sheeran.
                                    I love Hissing of Summer Lawns. But I've listened three times to Blue recently in an attempt to enjoy more of her oeuvre and I can't pick out a single memorable tune.

Comment

Possible silly assumption here, but do you think there is a Generation X rejection of Joni Mitchell is due to Phoebe in Friends? She is clearly a comic representation of the superficial 60s Joni Mitchell stereotype; what could a pretty girl with long blonde hair be singing about other than smelly cats? I honestly think I suffered some unconscious bias against Joni as a result of being part of that generation, couple that with the excruciating Counting Crows cover version of "Big Yellow Taxi" and maybe I'd seen an unsympathetically edited Isle of Wight performance on TV around the time of its anniversary.

More fool me, of course. Doubt there are many in rock and roll who have lived a life as radical, single-minded and adventurous as hers.

Comment

Just to add, that IoW performance really is one of the bravest I have ever seen, and as complete an example of male prejudice against women you will ever see. No way would any of that sh*t been subjected to a male performer and there is no way a woman would have the disrespect for others or misunderstanding of their own authority to deliver such abuse or pulls such stunts.

Comment

It gave her a phobia of large outdoor concerts.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                                            Possible silly assumption here, but do you think there is a Generation X rejection of Joni Mitchell is due to Phoebe in Friends? She is clearly a comic representation of the superficial 60s Joni Mitchell stereotype; what could a pretty girl with long blonde hair be singing about other than smelly cats? I honestly think I suffered some unconscious bias against Joni as a result of being part of that generation, couple that with the excruciating Counting Crows cover version of "Big Yellow Taxi" and maybe I'd seen an unsympathetically edited Isle of Wight performance on TV around the time of its anniversary.

More fool me, of course. Doubt there are many in rock and roll who have lived a life as radical, single-minded and adventurous as hers.
                                            Phoebe was a great pastiche of Mitchell-fans-with-guitar, but I don't imagine that most viewers made that particular connection. And from the generation that watched Friends a new wave of have-guitar-will-sing emerged. Not that these people were inspired by Phoebe, God help us -- though some aren't much more talented. But Phoebe's Joni-type pastiche didn't put them off either.

Comment

What happened at the IOW festival?

Comment

A bad vibe and worse acid hung around the 600,000-strong festival, with Mitchell getting heckled – but she used a stretch of perfect songs to create a moment of harmony

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post

Nah, I just reckon it's because her music's boring. Not everything is about misogyny, and I had no idea that Phoebe was meant to be parodying her, I just find her music boring. At least I can remember the taxi song (Vanessa Paradis's was better) - anything else I've heard of hers I've forgotten before the song even ends.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X