Groups With Widest Age Span

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Groups With Widest Age Span

Omitting vintage groups that are touring with new members while keeping one or two originals, i.e. which group had the highest age spread when still in its prime?

Honky-tonk pianist Hilda Woodward was something like thirty years older than her son Rob - the front man and manager of 1972 chart-toppers, Lieutenant Pigeon. (Other band members may have been younger than Rob Woodward, but I don't have that info to hand.)

Comment

Andy Summers is about a decade older than Sting and Copeland.

Saxa, of course. 26 years on next oldest member Dave Wakeling.

But arguably the winner - Baba Oje from Arrested Development. Born around 1931/32 (no-one is quite sure, when he died in 2018 his age was given as 86 or 87), Headliner b. 1967, Speech b. 1968.

Comment

I imagine the Kelly Family might be relevant to this discussion, but I'm buggered if I'm going to look up all their ages.

Comment

Barbara Cowsill was 31 years older than her daughter Susan, in the Cowsills.

Comment

Spirit. During their late 60's / early 70's heyday, drummer Jack Cassidy was in his late 40's. He was 28 years older than his stepson, band guitarist Randy California.

Comment

Pavement's original and legendarily eccentric drummer Gary Young, now 68, is 13 years older than Stephen Malkmus.

Comment

Faithless - Maxi Jazz (b. 1957) has 9 years on Rollo, and 13 on Sister Bliss.

Comment

The most successful line-up of 808 State had a bit of a generation gap between musicians/producers Price and Massey on the one hand and DJs Partington and Barker (aka the Spinmasters) on the other. When Pacific was released Partington was 19 and Price 34.

Comment

I think Michael Karoli of Can was around a decade younger than the others in the band, although he was very sadly the first mainstay member of the band to die

Comment

Alex Harvey was about 15 years older than the rest of the Sensational Alex Harvey Band. See also Jet Black and The Stranglers.

Comment

Bill Wyman is 11 years older than Ronnie Wood

Bruce Thomas is 9 years older than Steve Nieve

Comment

Underworld: Karl Hyde (b. 1957), Rick Smith (b. 1959), Darren Emerson (b.1971).

Blimey, even the kid brother of techno is now in his fifties...

Comment

The classic House Of Love line up featured a nine year age gap between singer and guitarist. Guy Chadwick turned 65 this year; Terry Bickers was born in '65.

Comment

The Orb’s best recordings, from Ultraworld to
                              Pomme Fritz, all featured the recording engineer Kris ‘Thrash’ Weston as a key member of the group, who was 13 years younger than Alex Paterson (and all their recordings after missed a certain something)

Comment

Miss Foley was at least 20 years older than the other members of St. Winifred's School Choir when they topped the charts.

Comment

Miles Davis was 36 when he recruited 17-year-old drummer Tony Williams for what was to become the Second Great Quintet.

Comment

The Staple Singers: Pops was born in 1914, accompanied by the kids Cleotha (b. 1934), Pervis (b. 1935), Yvonne (b. 1937) and Mavis (b. 1939) in varying combinations.

Only Mavis is still with us.

Comment

Garbage- Duke Erikson is 15 years older than Shirley Manson

Comment

Carter Family: Maybelle born 1909 and her 3 daughters born 1927-33.

Comment

Peter Hook & The Light includes son Jack who is 25 years his junior.

Comment

Kevin Richardson is 9 years older than fellow Backstreet Boy, Nick Carter. That's quite a gap in a boyband.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
                                              Kevin Richardson is 9 years older than fellow Backstreet Boy, Nick Carter. That's quite a gap in a boyband.
                                              Similarly, there's more than nine years between *NSYNC's Chris Kirkpatrick and Justin Timberlake. I've have guessed Joey Fatone was the oldest one myself - he looked 35 when Justin looked like a very tall 12-year-old.

Comment

Englandneworder (1990) technically contained Shilton (40) and Platt (23, a fortnight younger than Gascoigne) but only 6 squad members sang on it the record.

The Spurs squad that recorded a single for the 1987 Cup final contained Clemence (38) and Polston (18).

However, these are obviously not 'groups' in the real sense.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                                  I've have guessed Joey Fatone was the oldest one myself - he looked 35 when Justin looked like a very tall 12-year-old.
                                                  I know boy bands have always been designated individual characteristics by their management, but I must say 'Joey Fat-one' seems a little harsh...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X