Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which one-hit wonders got the most mileage out of their hits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
    "Memorability" is a moveable feast, of course, but this is an intriguing subthread. I'd nominate the Pet Shop Boys' inspired reworking of Always On My Mind, which despite the quality and popularity of the Elvis version is perhaps the more memorable.
    Yes, I hear that on the radio and it just chimes with brilliance. To rework a song of that stature (which Willie Nelson had already reworked as well) and get the Xmas No. 1 into the bargain takes some confidence.

Comment

Their version of Go West count well count too – though its no.2 peak actually far trumped the chart placing of the Village People's original, which 'only' made about #15 as I recall. Depends on how big a "big hit" we need the original to have been for a song to qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
        I really wish the Proclaimers hadn't outed themselves as Gammon Sleepy Cuddles aligned Alba supporters, it's ruined Sunshine on Leith fer me and herself.
        I’m not being funny but I don’t quite know what “Sleepy Cuddles” means. Gammon I know, and Alba is Scotland, right? I like the Proclaimers so I need to know this.

Comment

In this context, Alba is the Alex Salmond personality cult that contested the last Scottish elections

No clue on Sleepy Cuddles, I'm afraid

Comment

I think that "sleepy cuddle" was Salmond's own description of an incident over which he was investigated, shall we say.

Comment

I think Rick Ashley has two US hits.

Comment

'Astley'.

Bit more than that. He reached the Billboard Top 40 ten times - five songs of which went Top 10, with two making number one (Never Gonna Give You Up and Together Forever).

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Easily their best moment, IMO.

Altogether now: ’Lochaberrr no mooooorre!’
                  Sunshine on Leith is by far their best moment, for me. Guaranteed to make me a bit teary.

Comment

Didn't know about their political leanings, mind. Art and artist, and all that.

Comment

Yeah, still souring it for me right now though.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

Checked with my parents today and this festival is definitely still on.
                        I saw a bus today - in Bury - with an advert down the side of it promoting Lichfield as a tourist destination. Never mind the Amalfi Coast where we were supposed to be going, let’s go to Lichfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                          Yeah, still souring it for me right now though.
                          It is a shame, I must admit.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post

I saw a bus today - in Bury - with an advert down the side of it promoting Lichfield as a tourist destination. Never mind the Amalfi Coast where we were supposed to be going, let’s go to Lichfield.
                            They should have my step-dad on TV advertising the place. I've lived in New York and he would bang on about the restaurants in Lichfield being world class. One time I guided him to making claims of supreme prejudice by the Michelin guide for black-balling Lichfield.

It is pretty enough as a place I suppose. Of the places near Birmingham that are far enough away not to be Birmingham but to be a suitable commute to Birmingham because there are no real jobs there, Lichfield isn't a particularly bad choice.

Comment

They should put that on the signs as you drive into the town.

Comment

That entire paragraph?

Comment

Yes.

I reckon Evesham and Pershore have skin in the game too.

Comment

They don't have cathedrals do they? Not are are they the settings for restoration comedies.

Comment

Shrewsbury is in the Anglican diocese of Lichfield so that's my frame of reference for it. I have been there but don't remember much about it.

Comment

Back to the OP. The New Radicals one song still gets airplay but obviously they aren't touring on the back of it still.

Comment

Althea and Donna "Up Town Top Ranking" is consistently played and must be taking in lots of royalties.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            Back to the OP. The New Radicals one song still gets airplay but obviously they aren't touring on the back of it still.
                                            They did a one-off, I think, performance connected to Biden’s inauguration. Not many bands get asked to do that, so that’s pretty good for a OHW.

Comment

I discovered today that one-hit wonders Iron Butterfly (they of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida) have had 65 different band members over the years. So that song obviously paid out well.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post

Now hold on a minute, I've been to Bury. People in glass houses, and that. 'Bury Market- your number one destination for offal' isn't much of a tourist magnet either, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post

Now hold on a minute, I've been to Bury. People in glass houses, and that. 'Bury Market- your number one destination for offal' isn't much of a tourist magnet either, is it?
                                                  It gets a lot of coach parties on Saturdays. They all park down Market Street from as far south as Staffordshire and as far north as Cumbria. There's also the apochryphal story of the Bury couple on holiday in Blackpool who book onto a mystery tour that takes them... well, I'm sure you can guess.

I don't think they advertise it on the sides of buses in Lichfield though.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

Sunshine on Leith is by far their best moment, for me. Guaranteed to make me a bit teary.
                                                    As it does my mate, who demonstrated this by getting lachrymose to the tune at our place at the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X