Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which one-hit wonders got the most mileage out of their hits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

The One Hit Wonder Regulatory Authority will rule that out of bounds.
    On what basis?

Comment

The whole trans-Atlantic issue rearing its head again - they're certainly not one-hit wonders here.

In fact, before its 2007 Comic Relief charity re-release went to #1, I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) was only their THIRD biggest UK hit by chart position.

Even songs that failed to get into the top 20 (e.g. Sunshine On Leith, Let's Get Married) have endured.

Comment

I suppose "Letter from America" was, ironically, too incomprehensible to be a hit in America.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
          I suppose "Letter from America" was, ironically, too incomprehensible to be a hit in America.
          Quite.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

On what basis?
            The One Hit Wonder Regulatory Authority does not need to explain itself.

Comment

Needed to be used for a cutesy film soundtrack half a decade after it was released, I guess.

Comment

Was a smash hit at Alistair Cooke gigs here for decades

Comment

Easily their best moment, IMO.

Altogether now: ’Lochaberrr no mooooorre!’

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    Was a smash hit at Alistair Cooke gigs here for decades
                    Indeed. I used to listen to those chats with much joy.

Comment

We went to see the Proclaimers at the Opera House shortly before the ‘vid struck. Absolutely fantastic and rammed with hits - either chart or just popular.

Comment

Robbie Coltrane selected Letter From America on "Desert Island Discs".

Comment

For Hot Pepsi's benefit, the Proclaimers' 'remembered' hits in the UK look roughly like this (with chart positions, which are bizarrely unrepresentative of their continuing impact):

Letter From America #3
                          I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) #11
                          Sunshine On Leith #41
                          I'm On My Way #43
                          King Of The Road EP #9
                          Let's Get Married #21

Comment

Ralph McTell is certainly an act greatly revered within the folk world, regardless of his lack of chart hits other than Streets Of London. He was also pretty much the first musical artist I ever listened to an album by: when I was little in the '80s we used to regularly play a tape in the car of songs about different animals (Albatross – not the Fleetwood Mac one! – is the one I've always remembered) that he did for one of the TV series that Satchmo Distel mentions upthread.

Weirdly, one of the very few acts I've actually seen live is Chesney Hawkes, who in late 2001 (a mere decade after his brief burst of chart glory) was indeed playing The One And Only twice in his set in the Students' Union in Aberystwyth. That reminds me, I should really add my memories of that evening to the thread about tenuous brushes with fame.
                            Last edited by Various Artist; 19-06-2021, 14:13.

Comment

The Authors of Happy Birthday Patty and Mildred Hill

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                For Hot Pepsi's benefit, the Proclaimers' 'remembered' hits in the UK look roughly like this (with chart positions, which are bizarrely unrepresentative of their continuing impact):

Letter From America #3
                                Sunshine On Leith #41
                                I'm On My Way #43
                                King Of The Road EP #9
                                Let's Get Married #21
                                That ruins the mild joke.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 19-06-2021, 15:20.

Comment

Ha, fair point! I'd forgotten about the original point of your comment by that stage, sorry HP...

Comment

I too keep forgetting that Hot Pepsi has such a wonderfully dry sense of humour. I'd seriously recommend the film Sunshine On Leith.

Comment

Ha, fair point! I'd forgotten about the original point of your comment by that stage, sorry HP...
                                      He got me first, if that helps spare your blushes slightly.

Comment

Letter From America #3
                                        Sunshine On Leith #41
                                        I'm On My Way #43
                                        King Of The Road EP #9
                                        Let's Get Married #21
                                        I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) qualifies also for a subthread titled something like "songs that have achieved anthemic status but missed the Top 10."

King Of The Road - I can't say it has replaced the Roger Miller version for memorability but I wonder if any covers have done so (where the original was also a big hit, so, for example, The Beatles' Twist and Shout and Money are excluded.
                                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 20-06-2021, 20:37.

Comment

I really wish the Proclaimers hadn't outed themselves as Gammon Sleepy Cuddles aligned Alba supporters, it's ruined Sunshine on Leith fer me and herself.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                            He got me first, if that helps spare your blushes slightly.
                                            In my defence, too, HP's "On what basis?" in response to WFD's line about the 'One Hit Wonder Regulatory Authority' appeared to be a genuine query – as you said, it's easy to have completely differing transatlantic perspectives on what was and wasn't a 'hit'. My sharing of chart knowledge/nerdery was a reply to that in particular. I did get the original 'mileage' joke, I promise...!
                                            Last edited by Various Artist; 20-06-2021, 22:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              King Of The Road - I can't say it has replaced the Roger Miller version for memorability but I wonder if any covers have done so (where the original was also a big hit, so, for example, The Beatles' Twist and Shout and Money are excluded.
                                              "Memorability" is a moveable feast, of course, but this is an intriguing subthread. I'd nominate the Pet Shop Boys' inspired reworking of Always On My Mind, which despite the quality and popularity of the Elvis version is perhaps the more memorable.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                                Climax Blues Band - one UK hit in 1976 with Couldn't Get It Right, still touring in the UK and Europe, next gig is at the Lichfield Blues & Jazz Festival in August.
                                                Checked with my parents today and this festival is definitely still on.

Comment

I know I will run into the 1-hit-wonder police, but Rick Astley has to be applauded for exactly *how* he has gone about getting mileage out of Never Gonna Give you Up.

Comment

*adjusts glasses*

"I'd like to draw the prosecution's attention to Mr Astley's eight consecutive Top Ten hits, your honour..."

Comment

Working...
                                                    X