Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Musicians identifiable by their surnames …

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems that we have forgotten Carlos Santana, whose first name barely is part of the brand.

Comment

But Santana is always the band as a whole, isn't it? Ditto Gillan, Dio etc.

Comment

Sure, but when you refer to the guitarist as Santana, everybody knows that you are referring to Carlos, and not his brother Jorge.

Until the overrated Beck came along in the 1990s, Jeff Beck's surname was something of a recognisable surname brand. A bit of a "Great Guitarist" thing: Clapton, Hendrix, Santana, Beck. Though Hendrix was also called Jimi by his best and closest fans.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
          Yeah but no. If you say Morrison about a musician you wouldn't think any of those. But you still wouldn't know which of Jim and Van was being referred to. Even if you included other references like "iconic late 60s album" or "complete arsehole".
          No word of a lie, when I saw 'Morrison' in Jah's list my first thought was the supermarket and my second thought was crappy singer-songwriter James Morrison (then I realised he probably meant that twat out of off of the Doors)

Comment

There was a lad at my school who heavily bought into the Jim Morrison as mystic poet thing (this was in the mid '80s). I'm chuckling enough remembering it to be glad I'm not on public transport.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
              No word of a lie, when I saw 'Morrison' in Jah's list my first thought was the supermarket
              see also Nicky Tesco.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                But Santana is always the band as a whole, isn't it? Ditto Gillan, Dio etc.
                Glad you added that. Roth Anthony does not quite have the same ring to it.

Comment

Esquivel

Comment

Vangelis - I wouldn't even know what his first name was if he had one.

Andrew Innes of Primal Scream is usually just referred to by his surname, as is Martin Duffy.

And then there's Gedge of The Wedding Present.

Comment

It is a stage name

His real name is Evángelos Odysséas Papathanassíou

Comment

I knew of him as Vangelis Papathanssiou from the Aphrodite's Child albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                          see also Nicky Tesco.
                          ...and Brian Waitrose out of Napalm Death.

Comment

I'd expect someone other mean Jim Morrison if they just said Morrison because if they meant Van Morrison they.would say Van Morrison.

Jarvis Cocker has a recognisable first and second name but is more likely to just be referred to as Jarvis, I'd expect.

Similarly Freddie Mercury was often just referred to as Freddie, which would be his more generic name.

Comment

Mr Yafuckingdancer, whom I was lucky enough to see, twice.

His skills were much requested.

Comment

Of course, not to be confused with Mo Salah Yalittledancer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                  No word of a lie, when I saw 'Morrison' in Jah's list my first thought was the supermarket...
                                  Understandable, and hugely likely on a thread in Music.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                    Jarvis Cocker has a recognisable first and second name but is more likely to just be referred to as Jarvis, I'd expect.
                                    He's currently stylising it as JARV IS, although this is 'band member name as band name' territory.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                      Although I did automatically think Neil for Lennon, before remembering this was a music thread.
                                      Ladies and gentlemen, peak OTF.

Hetfield, Ulrich, Hammett, Burton, Mustaine and Ellefson are all pretty identifiable.

Comment

This is an example of being blinded by your love of a particular musical genre isn't it. Is that Richard Burton? Who the hell is Hammett?

Comment

Cliff Burton and Kirk Hammett, I’m assuming. Out of off of Metallica.

Elements of that though, perhaps.

Fields Of The Nephilim used to refer to themselves by surname only, as I recall. I’m not sure many would recognise them, either, with or without first names.

Unless they worked for Homepride.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I don't think that the word Sinatra brings Nancy to the front of associations.
                                            It brings Mister to the front of associations.

When you've lived a life like Mister Sinatra you'd know, lemme tell ya.

Comment

I saw Eggchaser's list and thought: Jan Ulrich, Tim Burton, Dashiell Hammett, couldn't get anything for the last two. Hetfield is someone I would remember is a musician, although I wouldn't have known what he did without just looking it up.

Comment

On first reading my brain went: Hetfield and the North, Lars Ulrich (result!), Richard Burton, Dashiell Hammett, Robbie Mustaine and Leif Ellefson. In my defence it's very warm today and I haven't had enough sleep

Comment

Pastorius.

Comment

Of jazz people:

Coltrane, definitely.

Gillespie and Basie probably

Davis and Parker and Armstrong are such common surnames you probably couldn't count on it.

Metheny or Zorn, say, are the only people of any note with those surnames so anyone familiar with them would know - but I'm not sure they're actually very widely known. Mingus perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X