Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Musicians identifiable by their surnames …

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it "musicians referred to by their surnames alone" or "musicians whose surname clearly identifies them"? Your OP suggests the latter but now you seem to be changing.

Comment

I have LPs where Robert Fripp is credited by his full name, or as Fripp. Ditto Brian Eno.

But either way, I know it's the same person.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

Is that George I Fascist-Cunt-Who-Won't-Shut-The-Fuck-Up or Steven Patrick Fascist-Cunt-Who-Won't-Shut-The-Fuck-Up?
        I meant the latter... but if you want to lump in the former as well, I won't stop you.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
          With the exceptions of Duffy, Goldfrapp and Roachford, I don't remember any of the above referring to themselves by their surnames.
          Isn't Goldfrapp a two-piece band, one of the members of which happens to be Alison Goldfrapp? That is what I always thought it was, and is what distinguishes one from the other. I've always heard Ms Goldfrapp called by her full name when she is doing something as a solo entity, aside from the band.
          Last edited by Janik; 08-06-2021, 20:49.

Comment

That's my understanding, too.

Comment

With the exceptions of Duffy, Goldfrapp and Roachford, I don't remember any of the above referring to themselves by their surnames.

Comment

Springsteen

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    Dylan
                    Hendrix
                    Morrison
                    Mulligan out of Fashion

You know, all the greats.
                    Would that be Mulligan out of Mulligan and O'Hare?

Comment

Lennon
                      Sinatra
                      Basie
                      Streisand

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                        Sinatra
                        Nancy or Frank?

Comment

I have LPs where Robert Fripp is credited by his full name, or as Fripp.
                          They say opposites attract - do you think that's why Robert Fripp (often going by just his surname) ended up marrying Toyah Willcox (who often went by just her first name)?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                            Nancy or Frank?
                            I don't think that the word Sinatra brings Nancy to the front of associations.

Comment

Although I did automatically think Neil for Lennon, before remembering this was a music thread.

I also thought of Dame Shirley for Basie, but that's because I have no knowledge of jazz musicians at all, and had to use Google to find out the right answer.

Comment

Has Nilsson been mentioned yet? I'm sure Clapton got a namecheck, but I don't remember seeing it.

Also: Kristofferson, Cash, Paycheck.

Comment

… and often referred to as such.

Fripp and Eno spring to mind. And Bowie, come to think of it. Can't think of any others at the moment.
                                  Gabriel collaborated with two of the three.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                    Would that be Mulligan out of Mulligan and O'Hare?
                                    It would be 'Mulligan out of Fashion'.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

They say opposites attract - do you think that's why Robert Fripp (often going by just his surname) ended up marrying Toyah Willcox (who often went by just her first name)?
                                      Sounds like you've been searching for a clue.

Comment

It's a mystery, oh it's a mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                          Nah, this one doesn't work.
                                          Well, it kind of does - he was pretty much known as that by his band mates and contemporaries.

But okay, misery-guts - have 'Bolan' instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Well, it kind of does - he was pretty much known as that by his band mates and contemporaries.

But okay, misery-guts - have 'Bolan' instead.
                                            It doesn't work because it could be Jim or Van. (I assume you meant Jim, but it wasn't clear)

Comment

Well, it could be 'Patricia Morrison' if you really wish it to be...

Comment

Or Sterling, obviously

Comment

Or Junie Morrison out of The Ohio Players/P-Funk. Or James Morrison - a popular British singer/songwriter, I'm told.

This could run and run, folks.

Comment

Yeah but no. If you say Morrison about a musician you wouldn't think any of those. But you still wouldn't know which of Jim and Van was being referred to. Even if you included other references like "iconic late 60s album" or "complete arsehole".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X