Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Favourite Singles Chart Year (UK or US)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Favourite Singles Chart Year (UK or US)

For me, it's 1971, US charts, based on the old editions of 'America's Top 40' I hear on Sirius XM. This just beats UK 1981 due to the inclusion of so many soul classics but also personal favourites such as Carole King, Chicago, Richie Havens, etc.

Comment

After Christmas 1984 I realised that I had 7 of the top 10 records and so I made a deal with my dad to help him on his milk round every Saturday morning in exchange for whatever new singles went into the top 10 each week. For the whole of 1985 I only missed 2 singles - Everton's FA Cup song and "Ben" by Marti Webb - and I'll always have a special place for that year's hits, as well as some songs that didn't trouble the top 40 but got airplay on pre-breakfast show Radio 1 while on said milk round.

Comment

1979, 1980, 1981 and 1995 were all good, but 1973 was certainly the most fun.

Comment

In UK terms 1981 is the winner of course, but 1990 and 1991 were fun at the time - watching the recent TOTP re-runs shows how much dross was around but there was a real unpredictabilty about the chart, songs crashing in and then either sinking completely or going on to be genuine chart hits.

Comment

Another 1981 vote from me, it was probably the year I first got into music as a 9 year old. And I've got a soft spot for 1987, which is when I discovered girls and realised what 90 per cent of the songs were about. 1991 (drugs) takes the bronze.

Comment

Same age here, with parallels.

Comment

1983 and 1984, I guess.

Comment

1991 was a comeback year after the slump from 86-90 in my view, although Erasure and Pet Shop Boys did some excellent stuff and there were Prince and Whitney Houston gems.

Comment

In terms of the charts, 1990-91 gave us The KLF among others, so yeah, that was good.

The latter year also gave us sixteen bloody weeks of Bryan bloody Adams, so - 'swings and roundabouts'.

Comment

1972-74 then 1977-82. Maybe not necessarily in that chronological order but the years that mattered most personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        For me, it's 1971, US charts, based on the old editions of 'America's Top 40' I hear on Sirius XM. This just beats UK 1981 due to the inclusion of so many soul classics but also personal favourites such as Carole King, Chicago, Richie Havens, etc.
                        For your fix of 1971.

Comment

The years 1979-1981 were fantastic, in the UK charts at least. My playlist of singles from that era is never less than fun.

Comment

1971 for me, too, because on the radio at the time you could hear back to back soul, bubblegum, pop, country, and rock songs, all comfortably rubbing elbows.

Comment

1974 and 1981-83 are tremendous and 2005 pretty solid as well but it's a dead heat between 1979 and 1991 for me. UK charts obviously

Comment

There’s a new Apple+ documentary on 1971 music. I’ll have to look into that. It was the last full year, so far, that I wasn’t on earth.
                                Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 01-06-2021, 03:42.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
                                  1972-74 then 1977-82. Maybe not necessarily in that chronological order but the years that mattered most personally.
                                  I'm probably down with this, tbh. (If we're allowed to do that, like.)

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Schoolboy error - chucking a Sounds page in the middle of the NME lot.

Comment

The Bravo charts for 1979 would suggest that it was not a great year in West-Germany.

Nor was 1976. I don't think I'd be able to hum, or even recognise, the Top 2.

As for 1974... Well, I do love "Teenage Rampage" at #1.

And loads of Bravo's weekly charts from 1964-1985, for your pleasure...

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                                                Schoolboy error - chucking a Sounds page in the middle of the NME lot.
                                                That Sounds list is dreadful isn't it, terrible top 10 and somehow no room for Sparks in a top 100 but any fourth rate pub rock or new wave act makes the cut. Also very light on disco and pop generally. The NME ones are not 100% to my taste but at least have a bit more variety

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                                  The Bravo charts for 1979 would suggest that it was not a great year in West-Germany.

Nor was 1976. I don't think I'd be able to hum, or even recognise, the Top 2.

As for 1974... Well, I do love "Teenage Rampage" at #1.

And loads of Bravo's weekly charts from 1964-1985, for your pleasure...
                                                  Those appear to have been readers' votes- type charts, hence the proliferation of songs by the BCRs and both Cassidys. In 1974, Sweet were so popular that even relative-flop The Six Teens made #4. (And Lies in Your Eyes as 1976 chart-champ? That didn't even make the UK Top 30.)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X